First Chow Chow

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

serialk
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Chow Chow

Post by serialk »

Hi. My name is Henry and i have a ChowChow for just one week. I've never had a dog before, just as a kid, but wasn't a Chow chow :))
I wanna learn more about this breed. I have read some articles but where poor about all. I found this:http://chowchow.co.uk/ and i wanna ask you if the informations there are true and if i can use them in my situation. I'm also opened to any other advices.

Sorry for my english and thanx in advance.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Chow Chow

Post by Cam Atis »

Hope you won't dump the chow after a few months. My advise is love the dog like how you love yourself. Think if he is comfortable in everything. Then, think also like a dog. But you should be the one leading, you do most tasks first and be patient teaching coaxing him even if it takes days and hours doing so, as chows are wary/suspicious of new surroundings and new people.
They are not shy or cowardly when they hide. They just dont want any interaction at that moment. Dont force yourself on him if he wants to be alone. Talk gently if he is like that. Because if you mishandled the situation and he bit (bite) you, then he'd be given away by you to shelter because you thought your dog has gone aggressive.
Chows are not aggressive especially towards its owner. But sometimes they need some space like an introvert person. But it goes away after a while and the pup would be playful. Tolerance for nipping (play bite) depends on you. it is acceptable until 4 months of age (for me)
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First Chow Chow

Post by christina chow mum »

Hi!! and a big welcome to your new baby chow. I agree with Cam Atis especially on the aggression situation. A lot of chows get abandoned when they are aggressive but in fact they really only want to play and only when they feel like it. A chow will not play with you if you want it to, you will have to wait for it to come to you. When it is feeling sad or afraid and needs to be stroked and cuddled then it will come to you all by itself. So, lots of patience and lots of LOVE!!!! Try to "READ" your chow as though it were a book.
The site you have mentioned is a good site but this site is equally good with many experienced chow owner opinions, experiences and advice. Good luck and thank you for loving and caring for another precious Chowlie. =D= =D= =D= =D=
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.