Lily at 9 weeks

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lily at 9 weeks

Post by lweiher »

This is Lily on her first day at home. She was 9 weeks old when we brought her home and she learned to click on the glass the very first day! The other pic is of her in her new "space"! My hubby build it for her around her cage and that's where she goes at night time....he refers to it as her "beer garden"!! She has food and water in there (no beer) and a place to sleep and do her business if she needs....however, she is now 14 weeks old and has not peed or pooped in there. She has had a few peeing incidents on the carpet, more than likely our fault...but no pooping in the house at all! She will go in there to drink or eat, even though we have food in what will become her normal feeding sight, or to drag out her toys, which is a hoot! Had her groomed today for the first time and she did awesome!! Gosh I love chows!! Hope you enjoy these pics...I'll post more and love to see all the pics here!

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Lily at 9 weeks

Post by Pinoy51 »

She is a cutie, and she already returns the calmness and assertiveness you're giving her. Chows are the masters in picking up the energy of their owners and they use their intelligence to form opinons about what they pick up.
Once your calm and assertive, love and attention can reach them and they are the sweetest dogs.
Just a few days ago there was a blog about a growing up puppy biting their owners and destroying furnitures. Then we had a blog about a puppy peeing all over the house. Now you guys are having this little black fur ball doing it all right. Same breed, same age, different owners :!: When she grows up she will still test your leadership for a couple of times, by insisting on her way in do things. Be gentle and firm and she will continue to follow. I sometimes caught myself explaining my Chows why I need to insist on certain things :wink:
They look at me, twisting their heads a little and give me the feeling they understood. :lol:
Congratulation to your lttle bundle of joy, I also can't imagine a life w/o Chows.
Oh, by the way two Chows are way more fun than one :lol:
Best regards
Pinoy51
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Pinoy51 wrote:Just a few days ago there was a blog about a growing up puppy biting their owners and destroying furnitures. Then we had a blog about a puppy peeing all over the house. Now you guys are having this little black fur ball doing it all right. Same breed, same age, different owners :lol:
I wonder if it has a lot with the breeders you and those others bought their puppies from. Where did you get her from? Please tell us about your breeder because they are probably doing things that others should be looking for when choosing a puppy.

She is a very gorgeous and will grow fast so take a lot of pictures and please post them so we can see her.

Brutus
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Good input,
I bought my two from private breeders, kind a side business of Chow lovers. Both were the favorite of the breeders and got a good mixture of human and siblings attention during their first weeks.
Might be another factor, but for sure the human pack leader makes all the difference in their lives growing up.
Best regards
Pinoy51
lweiher
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lweiher »

We had been looking for an older Chow to adopt/rescue and my hubby found her on puppyfind.com....I really wanted an older chow because we both work and I know it is a lot of work to find someone during the day to help you out...well....long story short....we went to Southern Wisconsin which is about an hour from us and the breeder had three litters from three different moms and two different dads...they were about two weeks apart in age and all adorable! Lily was in oldest litter and we went there three times....once to decide if we trusted the breeder...when the puppies were only 3 weeks old....second time at 6 weeks old to pick out which one.....then the third time to pick her up at 9 weeks old. I was not impressed with the place.....it's a farm with all the animals and not the cleanest environment, but not disgustingly filthy or anything, just not what I expected. All the animals were healthy looking and friendly. We got out of our car and were met by two big black chows...and I thought....well, we'll find out if they bite or are friendly! Well, turns out they were friendly and the sweetest one was Lily's dad! He was sweet and a leaner!! Too funny! The Mom was friendly, but being a mom....cautious, which was to be expected....but I could tell by the way she was around the breeder that she was sweet. This breeder had other dogs, cats, and Lily and her siblings were exposed to them all....and she has children too, so the socialization started just about from the womb. Below is a picture of Lily at 14 weeks after her first grooming. The purple flower was a gift from my neighbors grandson. She comes over every week day to let Lily out and play with her and brings her grandson when he's there...he's 5 and hand feeds her and plays with her. She doesn't play bite him, but I tell them both to always have a toy in your hand because she is a puppy and she does bite when she's playing...it's what they do...so all that being said..I would get another chow from her, and may see when her next litters will be so we can get Lily a playmate!
I will give the breeders name to anyone who is interested.