Brutus Wins Again

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Brutus Wins Again

Post by 612guy »

We haven't showed him in almost 3 months because of no shows around with chows. But last weekend we found one show with 2 others chows and went best of winners and best of breed both days. There were no champions entered so going BOB was only because he won best of winners. The other chow owners were very nice to us and as always it was nice to meet them and their dogs. Here is a picture of Brutus before the show, I hope you like it.

Brutus
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Brutus Wins Again

Post by Rio »

Well done Brutus, keep up the winning streak. Were you sticking your tongue out at the judges or were you just a little warm? :)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Well done good-looking boy.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Congrats, Brutus. More Power to good looking Chows. =D=
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congrats on the BOB wins. Points are hard to come by across the country apparently. We havent shown since June due to lack of entries. Very frustrating to pay the entry fees and then not have it worth showing up. We will show 1 day this weekend in Falmouth MA just to get a dry run in. Rory is the only Chow all 4 days. More hopeful for Romulus, NY in 2 weeks. Thats a 6 hour drive for us, but show history is good.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

btw, i would love to see his record and some of the other chows in your area...can you send me his NP number?

Rory is NP29970402. If you Google search the InfoDog results will come up.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Thanks for all the nice comments. Showing him accually take only minutes but the time we spend getting ready is the bonding time. I do everything from picking the shows, grooming, training and handling. You just don't wake up one morning and start showing your pet. Brutus hasn't been combed since last weekend and enjoyed our boat ride today.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Brutus looks great on the boat...and with any hope is greats rid of those whispy furs.

BTW, very happy with the numbers for NY, finally looks like some other chows...this will be a test. Low number is 24 on Thurs, high of 36 on Sat. I guess we'll really see how Rory stacks up now.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Wow, those numbers are amazing. I was told those were the numbers 20 years ago that where showing. Remember Rory is still young and with that many entered its going to be tough. I found that a bath a week before helps get the loose fur out so when I bath Brutus the day before he doesn't have hardly any.
You have said you take him to petco or petsmart for grooming but do they use dog show shampoo and conditioners? I use the pure paws line and like it. Those you can't buy there so that's why I ask?
I bet you are excited and nervous at the same time. My wife hasn't been the believer I have but she is starting to be.

Good luck,

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, those are pretty impressive numbers. What we have been looking for since we started showing Rory. I figure this to be make or break. Either he really is going to do well or he is just midddle-pack. This should decide his show future. A couple wins in Romulus could lead to a ranking. Either way, he is a great family dog and this could determine whether to continue showing or not. With a really good weekend though, he could finish so that may decide it as well.

And yes we use Petco for the pre-show grooming routine. But he always gets to his handler a day ahead of the show (kudo's to you for showing yourself, we just dont have the confidence to do it). She has actually suggested using a towel to 'train down' his tail, and thinks his butt is getting too fluffy. Definitely stuff i would not have taken into consideration.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Rory's Dad wrote:And yes we use Petco for the pre-show grooming routine. But he always gets to his handler a day ahead of the show (kudo's to you for showing yourself, we just dont have the confidence to do it). She has actually suggested using a towel to 'train down' his tail, and thinks his butt is getting too fluffy. Definitely stuff i would not have taken into consideration.

First thing good luck this week, I mean it. Does the towel thing work? Around here the CH dogs usually have their tails thinned ( a few weeks before the show) and are sprayed with hair spray or gel. Someone showed me to have a 2 oz spray bottle with just water in my pocket and spray it a couple of times before the showing. Just work the tail into shape with my hand. This works very well after I comb it first.

I have a book on where Chows are trimmed for shows but I only trim Brutus around the feet and the rear. I've seen many that are obvious trimmed below their stomach because they are short and they are trying to make them look square. Brutus has long legs so I don't do that. But in the book it says the top of the head, chest, below the stomach, rear and tail are the areas that are ok to shape for the ring. Just so not to short. Of course our dogs are young and really don't need as much as full grown dogs. The book is called "The complete Chow Chow" by L. J. Kip Kopatch. You would like it if you don't have it.

Here is another picture at the last show.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Heading off to NY tomorrow. Cant believe we are driving almost 7 hours for a set of shows. Next month is easier with mostly local stuff, but we wont see those numbers. Thanks for the sincere wishes. I think he's going to need them. If he does well, its all major wins, but i am not completely confident. No idea on the other Chows as this is so far out of our normal show area.

We havent really tried the towel thing. As you say, still young and about 1/2 still in puppy fur. All Rory's mane fur is still puppy, and the rear is just starting to 'overfluff'. Our biggest issue is his marking. He behaves once the ring lead goes on, but up to that point its all about being a primo male chow. Not so funny, as he pulls to every object he can see. Oh yeah, he's strong.

I will have to check out the book, sounds like good advice. Funny, but Brutus doesnt look to tall in the leg in the photos. Maybe just perspective.

Thanks again for the well wishes. Hopefully can provide some good recon when we get back on Tuesday.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

When I said Brutus has long legs I meant compared to newer style chows that show.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Just back. Sensational show. Lots of great chows showing. Sweepstakes on Sat with some fantastic looking dogs. Rory took a bit of an attitude the whole time, suddenly deciding he didnt like his bite checked. Weather was also bad for him, rained 2 of the 4 days. He hates rain. No points out of the week, but he did take a nice Reserve ahead of 5 other males on saturday. Was the only day he decided to show his personality. Think that helped a bit. Needs more ramp practice, so at least we have some direction.

Not showing in adult fur definitely hurt, but he's blowing out now, so in 2 months, we'll see. No other majors coming up in our area, so he'll have the time to grow out.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Good job on the reserve, it shows he belongs. Four days showing is a long time. I bet you guys are tired and glad to be home. I learn things every time we show and the last show was Brutus's bite. I now say "teeth" and practice it once a day. We were in groups the last show and he pulled back his head while showing his bite and the lead came off. Luckily he didn't move and the judge was cool but the wife freaked out. Most handlers use 1 hand on top and 1 on the bottom to show the bite. But Brutus is a lot better if I use 1 on each side instead. He also hesitates before the ramp but once on he is very comfortable because it's like being on the grooming table. At the show I have him jump off because it's smoother and easier. I did make a ramp in the basement that we practice on.

The last show we could of went to a major instead but I knew the dogs were going to be older and it was further. I made the right choice because we got 1 pt each day. Next year we will go to that other show and will be tougher competition because his adult fur will be in all the way. Brutus is about 4 months older than Rory and his puppy fur is gone thank goodness. He still has a ways before it's fills in and gets longer though.

If I had to guess how long it"ll take to get his Ch, my guess is Brutus will be 3 1/2 years old because nobody shows chows around me and he"ll probably have to be full grown to get his majors. That is why I handle him myself and are ok with the time frame.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, we have our homework. Rory has 4 pts currently. We can build pts as needed, but the majors are the trick. Overall, very happy with the week. He showed well physically against the big dogs. Attitude can be corrected. I do think that cost him a point in the rain, but reallistically, great competition. Wife and I also had a good getaway, so all is good. After the Reserve, we did a nice wine tour and sat on the veranda to enjoy the one nice weather day. Rory got home and was definitely worn out a bit. On the plus side, he attacked his 'adult' kibble, which he had decided to ignore before going on his trip.
Attachments
Oct_1_2012 085.jpg
Oct_1_2012 085.jpg (121.09 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Oct_1_2012 078.jpg
Oct_1_2012 078.jpg (84.7 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Oct_1_2012 073.jpg
Oct_1_2012 073.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »