Rory and our daughter outside the Springfield AKC show
Rory Steps.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Showing no interest in the judges
Showing no interest in the judges
Rory Ring Side.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Back in the hotel
Back in the hotel
Rory in Springfield, MA.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Wondering what you guys think. He is about 5 and a 1/2 months here. Breeder says he will be a Red, our Handler thinks more of a Cinnamon...
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Have'nt shown off Rory in a while

Post by chowpups »

Rory is a very handsome fellow, an he looks a little lighter than Nikki as a pup but pretty close.That is Nikki in my avatar as a pup and she was considered a light red or shaded red people told me as she got older.When she was little I thought she would be a cinnamon . if you go under my post when she passed I think I posted a pic of her when she was more red shaded.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It is really hard to tell from a photo but if I had to say from these pics I would go towards cinnamon. Light shaded red has the orangey tones which cinnamon doesn't it is more like light brown than light red. You need to see the two colours together when you are not experienced and then you will see a definite difference.
Bramble in my sig strip is the lightest shaded red I have ever seen and in artificial light she has a real orengey apricot coloured glow to her coat. Hope that helps.

Rory is so very cute and I love the photo on the steps. He remind me a lot of Bramble with those deep and meaningful eyes which seem to show off his soul. Now I'm getting all poetic on you :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I began to wonder about what I said and I went looking for this photo and now I'm not so sure Rory is a cinnamon cos Brams looks very much the same colour here. This is her about Rory's age. Oh well time will tell :D
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Wow Brams and rory could pass for brother and sister IMO
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I thought that too lol Rory is chunkier with bigger bones for a boy :D
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Looks more like a cinnamon to me, but based on those earlier pictures of red chow chows like Nikki and Bramble, he may turn more reddish as he gets older.

Either way, he's just as cute as he can be!
Brandon's Mom - even now that he's at the Bridge.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Rory looks very nice and seems relaxed at the show. I've read your past postings and that you are going to show him. Why not do it your self? Especially when he's a puppy? He looks like he comes from a good line and will get his Ch, but how many shows do you think it will take. I think shows are fun and please keep us updated on how he does.

Brutus
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

What a beautiful boy Rory is. He does look so much like Bramble at that age, definitely could be brother and sister!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

612...CH takes 15 show points. Based on our location, Chows get 5 points for a best in breed as long as 5 dogs compete, so it really depends on the shows. When we went to Springfield a few weeks back, their were 7 chows entered, and that seems pretty average for the northeast US. From what we have seen, their is at least 1 dog here who would give Rory a run for the money, so thats a judges call. So, minimum 3 shows, but reallistically, probably 5. Points are awarded based on how many dogs you best within the breed. Group placement or BOS are extra points.

Originally wanted my daughter to handle in the JR class, but certification sessions are a bit too far away and would require multiple trips. We really just dont have the time. The handler we selected has a fantastic track record (was at Westminster a couple weeks back and has handled 3 CH chows). She also offers show ring training which will help. Rory is still a puller and will need to relax a bit. He was good when watching the show, but still really looked to us for direction. The handler instantly developed a great connection to Rory and we think this will really help in having him enjoy the experience and give him that 'look at me' edge.

At the Springfield show, we met a few of the NE Chow Chow Club folks...great people and some great dogs. We will definitely attend the shows with Rory and do a ringside handoff. He will be heading off for a week or so of one on one time for the show handling training, which will be hard cause he's our boy 1st, but we're pretty confident it will be good for him.

Thanks all for your comments. I am not sharing them with Rory, cause he's a bit egotistical as it is...dont want it to go to his head.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

We also decided to start showing our Brutus and thought it would be best to start him young. Lucky I knew someone who has show/raised chows for 20 years. The first thing he ask me was way? My answer was because it would be fun and help him being social. He told me of someone that could handle him but I wanted to do it myself since he was just a puppy. I didn't have a clue what was involved but did show many animals in 4-H at the County and State Fair. First thing he told me was to start going to confirmation classes, go to a couple of shows to watch and that BOB probably isn't going to happen until he gets older. Well after that weekend we learned a lot. The CH dog was going to bet our puppy every time but their handler knew my friend and showed us how to groom/ trim him as well how to walk him. We did win a blue and purple ribbon both days. What amazed us was how calm Brutus was in the ring and the 3 hours we were there just walking around letting everyone pet him. He has grown a lot since that show and will do it again in a couple of months. Brutus too is between red and cinnamon in color but his adult fur is coming in now more red.
Again good luck and keep us updated on how you guys do .

Brutus