New Here, New Baby!

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Here, New Baby!

Post by MrsMohr »

Hi there, I have been lurking around on your site for a couple of weeks now and thought I would introduce myself and show you our new puppy :D My husband and I each had red Chow Chow named Bear growing up, they looked exactly the same except for ours was female and his was a male! My husband's dream dog is a black male Chow Chow named BoBo. We currently have a one year old male French Bulldog named Stevie and we had been talking about getting another dog for him to wrestle around with but were hesitant because I thought two dogs and a cat would be too much. Sadly we had to put my cat to sleep recently due to kidney cancer, they say that the best way to get over the death of a pet is to get another one but I couldn't wrap my head around having another cat. So I started searching the Internet for the newest addition to our K-9 family. My husband and I were kids when we had our Chows so we didn't have to raise or train them ourselves so this will be the first Chow that I will be training on my own. I had a 65 pound Pit Bull for years and years and I managed to raise the friendliest, most outgoing, lovable Pit Bull you would ever meet so I'm sure I will do well with training a Chow as well!

After searching for about an hour I found BoBo! The same thing happened when I found Stevie, I found him online and new he was the one! I put a deposit on Bobo two weeks ago, he will be coming to us on the 17th of January when he is 8 weeks old. Here are his five week old pictures, hope you enjoy them and let me know what you think of him :)

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Here, New Baby!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congrats, he is adorable. Be sure to keep us posted on him.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Are they supposed to be delivering him or are you picking him up? The only reason I ask is, when I was looking for my girl, lily, I came across lots of adverts that were scams, where they would ask for deposits before you see the dog, and say they will deliver the dog, but it never comes. They used pictures like the ones you posted. I don't want to worry you, but I just don't like seeing people scammed. It is horrible the way they do it. I am probably just being overly cautious, but I thought I should make you aware of my experience
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I agree with Becki, see if they will let you come visit a couple of times while you are waiting for him to be old enough to come home. When I was looking for Cocoa I saw some scam ads as well. We are probably just cynical but I think it is always better to be sure.
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

I can't go and see the puppy as he is in MO and we are in FL. I thought about that too but the payment is through paypal so if I pay for a puppy and I don't get one then PayPal will refund my money. I wouldn't buy a dog online if the breeder didn't accept paypal. I purchased Stevie the same way and everything went well. The breeder sends me updated pictures of him every week and seems extremely sweet, she is very quick to respond to every email I send with any questions I have. The puppy is being sent via PetEx on the 16th so I guess I will find out then, now you guys have me parinoid lol! I'm assuming if she was going to scam me she wouldn't accept PayPal since they have such a great policy about getting your money back if the person doesn't deliver the goods. I've had to submit a claim on an ebay item I purchased that wasn't as advertised and Paypal refunded me the same day, before I even sent the item back. Do you guys think I'm alright due to the fact that I'm paying through Paypal?

I just got some more pictures of him today, (his six week pics didn't come out that great so I didn't put them up here) so here are his seven week pictures:

Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I think paypal is pretty safe, I've also had them refund me on a bad ebay purchase that was $500 so I've good experience with them as well. If you already paid and they are still sending you photos I doubt it's a scam, although there are a shocking amount of scammers out there these days :( Does the breeder have a website?

Caspian looks lovely, with a very intense expression! It will be nice to see him when he's running around and panting - I always think chows look like they are smiling when their tongues are out :)

I just bought a puppy with paypal myself! She'll arrive on the 10th!

MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

I just sent her the balance last night and she responded rather quickly to let me know that she received the payment. The breeder does have a website and after getting rather parinoid I checked the website with the BBB. She has an A- rating, she only had one complaint against her and it was due to the fact that she didn't return someone's deposit when they didn't show up to get their puppy. Her website clearly states that deposits are non-refundable so that was the buyer's mistake.

I just realized how many times I said "paypal" in my last post, wow lol!!

Your puppy is SO CUTE, I hope BoBo is super puffy like that when he is that age! Congrats she is just beautiful. You will have to let me know how she is when you get her, I bet this is going to be the longest weekend ever waiting for her to get to you! I think Monday is going to be the longest day EVER for me waiting for the baby to arrive, I wish she used an airline service!
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

My puppy is about 9 weeks in that photo. Your puppy looks like he has a pretty short wide muzzle as well, so I imagine he'll be pretty fluffy. What do his parents look like? My puppy has a black mom and cream dad, both rough coats. I think with black chows is always hard to tell in photos.

What's this PetEx? (great name!) I've never heard of it, how is it different from your pet just flying say american airlines? Actually it seems like the days are flying by, and I need to finish puppy proofing my house! She's arriving Tuesday night at 9pm because it was the only direct flight to LAX from Nashville. Not looking forward to the LAX aspect - it's just a big and difficult airport, and I have to go to a baggage claim, not a cargo depot :(
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Sorry to make you so paranoid. You will be fine through PayPal. The scammers use western union. The ones I came across, anyway. She seems genuine :) again, I'm sorry. This is a good example of a scammer. http://www.dogsandpuppies.co.uk/wonderf ... ert/131565
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

This all looks very good to me, with them sending you these nice pictures, and letting the pups sit underneath their christmas tree! I just love his name!!!

That bear story is pretty impressive! It's really true? :)
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

Oh no don't be sorry for making me parinoid, thank you for being concerned about me :D

Yes the Bear story is 100% true lol, at first I thought he was joking with me. I had just brought up a story of our Bear one day when we were dating and he was like oh yeah we had a red chow named Bear too, it was my favorite pet. I didn't 100% believe him until I saw a picture of him, his sister, and low and behold their red chow named Bear! Super cute picture, my husband was about 1 year old in it and his bear looked JUST like ours, big, puffy, and standing proud for his picture. '

PetEx (yeah I thought the name was cute too) is a ground delivery service. BoBo is being sent on Monday the 16th and is being driven from MO to FL. Our breeder used to use airlines but she said she used the PetEx service once and the driver was so great with her puppies and it was more cost efficient that she never sent them on airplanes again. The driver is going to meet me within 30 miles of my house, I will let you guys know how the PetEx delivery goes lol.

You have to get your baby girl from baggage claim, she's not baggage lol! I know how you feel I HATE going to the airport. Stevie's flight got canceled and rescheduled the day he was supposed to come to us. He was supposed to arrive at like noon that day but the plane he was going to be on had no heat so the flight got canceled. I didn't end up getting him until nine that night and I had requested the day off, I could have went to work and still had pleanty of time to go to the cargo place and pick him up! Needless to say...it was a LONG day! You better get on that puppy proofing you only have two more days to go, I bet you are so excited! The girls at work have started a BoBo count down for me at work, they make sure to tell me how many days I have to go until BoBo gets here :)

BoBo's parents are both red puff balls so I'm sure he will be puffy but yours is super puffy already...I have puff envy ha ha!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

BoBo and Sasha are SUPER DOOPER!!! I am excited for you both Jamie and Penelope. They are precious, precious jewels and I can't wait to watch them grow with up along our Leo and Max. Be sure to take lots of pictures when you pick up. And, don't forget to be prepared to let them sleep for the whole day following their arrival. Leo and Max were very curious when we first got home (about 9:00pm) and when they found the crate in our bedroom, they went right inside and fell asleep until their first pee pee run (at midnight, 2:00am, 4:30am and 7:00am) Geesh! What a first night. The next day they pretty much just ate, slept and eliminated. We took a walk to the park (I have on YouTube) but after that, back to sleep. Give them time to accustom themselves to their new home. About the third day, they started to recognize us and their own names. Two months later and we receive daily doses of love, cuddles, purple kisses and laughter at their antics. >>sigh<< They grow up so fast!!!

Word to the wise, we failed to do any measurements when we first got them and then it just seemed silly after their first vet appointment. So ... if you WANT to check their progress be sure to do it that first/second day. If you don't care, then never mind. I'm very OCD and sorta wish I had. I only have their weights to check their progress.

Congrats to you both!!!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

this is so bizzare but I always check out the local area chows for sale and adoption,and who popped up in Paradise, PA*(Lancaster area ) list but Divas picture.. for a radiculious amount (cheap) and I emailed the real breeder in TN and told her so she notified the website of the scam... it was pretty bad the ad..But how ironic about just talking about this and its from my old breeder of Nikki so I emailed immediately knowing something was up.. She thanked me for letting her know and she said also I helped stop some unspecting buyer not to fall for it..now she will have to mark her photos with her name ..but that always gets in the way of the actual photo cause you have to put it across so they cant chop it off.
But it is also a reminder that any picture can be stolen..and there are crooks out there..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

The name across the pup is no guarantee even then as I could easilly get rid of it with gimp or photoshop. There are some horribly unscrupulous people out there and it is good that you put a stop to that scam Nancy :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Sirchow wrote:The name across the pup is no guarantee even then as I could easilly get rid of it with gimp
How? :)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yes I have heard it's not a given and there is no way to stop it but to know it happens and be CAREFUL.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I always check out the local area chows for sale and adoption,and who popped up in Paradise, PA*(Lancaster area ) list but Divas picture.
We had one around here last year that was advertising at a ridiculously low price as well, the ads would pop up every couple of months, always with the same puppy picture. I haven't seen it for awhile so hopefully they have been caught.
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

It's so awful, there are tons of fake ads in the California area - you often see repeat photos and cheap prices. Ed (Diva's real breeder) told me one person contacted him to ask if her puppy was a chow chow because some breeder had sent her a totally different type of puppy when she had paid for/ordered a chow! Apparently it wasn't even similar. And then it's really hard on them because what do you do? You can't send back the poor puppy to crooks..

Anyway, I hate how everything you do these days has to be carefully screened because 1/2 the time it's a scam.
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

OMG here are his 8 week pictures, he looks so huge!!! He's being sent out on Monday so we should get him some time on Tuesday, so excited!!!! =D=

Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

What a cute little bear. He looks so serious in those latest photos. I hope the time between now and Tuesday doesn't drag too much for you.
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

Cocoa wrote:What a cute little bear. He looks so serious in those latest photos. I hope the time between now and Tuesday doesn't drag too much for you.
Honestly I think it's going to take forever for Tuesday to get here lol!!!!!
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I posted here, but it doesn't seem to have shown up! Where is he coming from and where to you live? Traveling Monday to Tuesday is quite a trip for the little guy! How exciting for Tuesday, can't wait to see your photos!
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MrsMohr »

He's coming from MO and I'm in FL. I contacted the delivery service today and asked if they drove straight through or if they would be stopping to stay somewhere overnight. They drive straight through, the woman said that they have two drivers that alernate drive time. I mapped it out the other day and it's 1100 miles, my poor puppy that's such a long drive! We are from Ohio (lived in FL for two years now) and it's a 1000 mile drive from OH to FL, takes us 18 hours. We drive straight through when we go but we don't have a puppy with us either. I would much rather him be flying in on a plane, it would only be a two hour flight.

I love BoBo's seriously grumpy face, in all his pictures he's just kinda like "man, quit taking pictures of me" lol.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

BoBo is adorable! Welcome!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
MrsMohr
Rank 0
Rank 0