ROSCOE - A year in the making

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: meet ROSCOE (updated photo 28 Dec) He's 20 weeks!!!

Post by Victory »

He is adorable. He's going to be a very pretty cinnamon boy.

And yes this is the time when he will push for his independence, between now and 10 months is a difficult, "teenage" time. You have to be more stubborn than him right now, if a command is given, give it again and again and again until it is obeyed. He'll soon figure out that you are still boss, and life is easier for him if he just does what you want. Reinforce this with his treats, no treats without obeying a command, even just "sit" or "shake" is enough to get the message across.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: meet ROSCOE (updated photo 28 Dec) He's 20 weeks!!!

Post by J & C »

I know! I just want to inject mine with, "stay a pup!" But my Java is almost full grown I guess and she is my beauty. So there are many joys in adulthood too! My son and wife have a beautiful Chow also and she took comparison pictures (kinda of what you are doing). Took a picture of the pup/dog in the same place & position as she grew: now has this neat little "then" and "now" pics! Simple and yet so creative too! I love stuff like this. I will keep an eye on Roscoe's future postings too!
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

ROSCOE at 5 months (updated photo 6 Jan)

Post by kimigirl »

Hes growing fast!

He's now 26 lbs. and very healthy. Roscoe is at the moment in his "I'm naughty and I like it!" stage. I give him a "time-out" once in a while when needed. Overall, hes a good boy and very sweet. He now understands NO and enjoys his Solid Gold Wolf Cub. He loves the garden and playing with his water bowl. He drinks from a bottle though. Teething stage is well underway, though I'm not sure how many more to go. His tongue now is completely purple/black.

We've come a long way from the start of this thread.

Thank you to all who has given me advise.

5 months and 26 pounds
Last edited by kimigirl on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: ROSCOE at 5 months (updated photo 6 Jan)

Post by chowpups »

Roscoe may have had a hard start in life but he sure looks good and happy now .. You've done a great job on getting him healthy..And what a great life he has..
belle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROSCOE at 5 months (updated photo 6 Jan)

Post by belle »

Hi Kimigirl,

cute boy that Roscoe of yours. I too am from the Philippines, migrated to Canada in the mid 80's, I had a chow when I was in the philippines, a gift from my uncle who was and perhaps still breeding beautiful chows as we speak. Husky, my late chow didn't really get as big as expected of a chow, he was no more than 48 lbs full grown, perhaps something to do with the geographic area and it's conditions. My chow right now, Yogi, just turned 6 months old a few days ago, weighs around 48 to 50 lbs and still growing right before my eyes, at 5 months he weighed around 41/42 lbs, so yeah, he is quite a monster, I wish though that he would stop growing. At first I was looking to have a chow shipped from the Philippines bec I liked the fact that Chows there don't grow so big, but that was silly to do, no Chows should have to travel in a kennel for over a period of long hours.
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROSCOE at 6 months (updated photo 7 March)

Post by kimigirl »

Roscoe is now passed 6 months old.

He's going through basic obedience right now and has to still get used to it. He''s 37 pounds when we last visited the vet about 5 weeks ago and am sure he's over 40 pounds by now.
He still enjoys car rides and I got him a leash than buckles into the seatbelt. We go for long walks and he tries to get me to carry him part of the way home.

The vet has cleared him of all the parasites and wot-nots he had when he was younger.

I'm so happy that he''s growing up to be a well mannered Chow. No snapping, no biting, and no growling! Even to strangers. He loves meeting new people and he lets children pat him.

People stop us and ask to take his picture and are interested to find out the Chow's temperament.
I just say, "You just show him love and respect and he'll show you the same."

ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ROSCOE at 6 months (updated photo 7 March)

Post by BeckiHutton »

Aww he is absolutely lovely :) I love his black markings around his face now that they have faded a little bit :) it's like he has big eyebrows. Hehe. I love him
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROSCOE at 8 1/2 mos. (updated photo 20 April 2011)

Post by kimigirl »

Roscoe is now 8 months and 2 weeks at 38 lbs!

A couple of weeks ago, his appetite disappeared and in doing so, his immune system suffered and he developed demodectic mange on a spot on his neck. I took him to the vet and she gave him Megaderm and an antibiotic (there was puss in the spots) and Amitraz plus Ivermectin injections every week for 6 weeks. We mixed a bit of the Amitraz with distilled water and put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the mangy spot. Thank heavens that its only been a week and the spot has dried up and hasn't spread.

He's been taking basic training lessons and he's trainer said that he can join the June dog show. I'm a proud mama!!

His growing has slowed down and the vet said he'll grow maybe another inch or so.

Apart from the Demodectic Mange, he's fit and really healthy.

I'm waiting for his "CHOW FACE" to appear and for the full mane to grow.

I wonder when that will be?
ROSCOE AT 8 MONTHS and 1/2
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROSCOE at 8 1/2 months (updated photo 20 April 2011)

Post by J & C »

He is SOoooo Beautiful!! Makes me smile to watch him grow! I know you are so proud of him; he IS a Show Dog already I think! :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

I can't believe he's 8 months old already. He is a very, very handsome chow boy. I'm glad you caught the mange before it spread, of course it looks like you brush and comb him a lot and that led to an early diagnosis and treatment I'm sure. And his face is very chow like, just a young chow face. He has an nice open face, so if you're looking for the heavy wrinkles that some have I don't think you're going to see it with this boy. And as far as I'M concerned that's just great! I love the open faced chows.
Thank you SweetPea!
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Thank you J&C and Victory!

I give him a good brushing every other day. It takes us 3 hours, though seeing him enjoy it makes it all worthwhile.

Although he's grown so much, he's still a puppy in a big chow costume.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ROSCOE - A year in the making

Post by kimigirl »

He's now a year and 2 months and has grown to be a very kind and gentle boy.

18 1/2 in at the shoulders and 45 lbs. His demodecosis is slowly subsiding after a year of treatment.
When the Vet sees him, she tells everyone in waiting room that "He's the only Chow that you can hug." Which makes me proud. He's now a somewhat "ambassador" that not all Chows are temperamental and aggressive.

Last month, he was attacked by another Chow while I was taking him for a walk. They were both smelling, and laying down with each other and I thought he found a friend. All of a sudden the other Chow got up and bit his ear. Roscoe pulled away but didn't make a sound. No squeek, yelp, nothing. I checked him and there was no blood. I thought he was ok, till we got home. I was brushing him after he drank his water and I notices a slight gash on his forehead and when I explored some more, I found a puncture wound on the base of his ear. It wasn't bleeding. In my panic, I called the vet and told her what happened. She said to clean the would and apply an anti-septic and bring him to the clinic in the morning. Thankfully, by the time he went to sleep, the wound has closed up.

He has joined 3 shows so far. 1st he won his puppy class at 10 months. 2nd he placed 2nd for his first stint in the regular class. 3rd he placed 1st in the regular class and advanced to the next class which he lost against the Philippine Grand Champ. He earned 2 points towards the 15 he needs for a title.

During the year I've had him, he has filled my life with so much happiness, slight worries, and so much love.

I am one very happy and proud Chow mama.

This was taken at his 2nd show during the practice round.

ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
chica_2626
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chica_2626 »

He is beautiful! Glad to hear he is acting as an ambassador for the breed. My goal with J.D. is to change each person's mind one at a time, because I know plenty of people that don't truly believe chows can be nice.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

OMG he is perfect. And he looks so healthy and athletic! Is he? Athletic? He looks like Loo does, like he could run forever!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

He is a beatuiful Boy...Is he on the smaller size?...What is a compact Chow...We have two a female Mia 10 months old she is a in-betweener a mix between smooth coat and rough coat...she stands 20 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 43/44 lbs...Then we have Kodi 5-1/2 month old male chow he stands about 19 inches tall at the shoulders and weighs 50 lbs.... Just was wondering what the difference was?....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

chica_2626 wrote:He is beautiful! Glad to hear he is acting as an ambassador for the breed. My goal with J.D. is to change each person's mind one at a time, because I know plenty of people that don't truly believe chows can be nice.
Exactly! Doesn't it feel great when you're able to convert someone?
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Sarahloo wrote:OMG he is perfect. And he looks so healthy and athletic! Is he? Athletic? He looks like Loo does, like he could run forever!
Actually, I think he puts it on. He basically sleeps most of the day except for this moment in the afternoon that he gets a burst of energy and runs around like crazy. Then, he stops dead in his tracks and plops down and soon after he's asleep again. I end up laughing like a mad woman every time he does that.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

kitten1426 wrote:He is a beatuiful Boy...Is he on the smaller size?...What is a compact Chow...We have two a female Mia 10 months old she is a in-betweener a mix between smooth coat and rough coat...she stands 20 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 43/44 lbs...Then we have Kodi 5-1/2 month old male chow he stands about 19 inches tall at the shoulders and weighs 50 lbs.... Just was wondering what the difference was?....
Hi kitten1426, I'm not exactly sure what a compact chow is, but i'm guessing he's the smaller variety. People at the dog shows said that he's of the European type. His muzzle isn't as broad and his body isn't as wide as the chows we see in books. Maybe geography might have something to do with it too, being in the tropics maybe they've adapted to our climate already. At a year and 2 months, he's 18 1/2 inches at the shoulder and is 45 lbs and his coat is not as dense as countries with winter.

If someone out there knows, please advice me!
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

He is a lovely boy. At 14 months though, I'd say he hasn't reached his full adult weight, he might even add 1/2 inch or so to his height. They aren't quite done until 2.5 to 3 years...He could easily top out at 55 or so lbs bringing him into the smaller size for male chows but still within norms.
Thank you SweetPea!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Victory wrote:He is a lovely boy. At 14 months though, I'd say he hasn't reached his full adult weight, he might even add 1/2 inch or so to his height. They aren't quite done until 2.5 to 3 years...He could easily top out at 55 or so lbs bringing him into the smaller size for male chows but still within norms.

Well thats good to hear...If thats true Our Male chow kodi which is 5-3/4 months old is 50 lbs already he probably is going to be a decent size chow...He is 19 inches Tall at the shoulder too....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

Victory wrote:He is a lovely boy. At 14 months though, I'd say he hasn't reached his full adult weight, he might even add 1/2 inch or so to his height. They aren't quite done until 2.5 to 3 years...He could easily top out at 55 or so lbs bringing him into the smaller size for male chows but still within norms.

Thanks Victory! That's good to know. Will his "mane" get longer too? I heard that Chows are their most beautiful at around 3 years.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I think his mane is going to stay this way. The shorter hair comes with the lighter built.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Roscoe is a handsome fellow. That picture of him is his second show is wonderful. It is good that your vet tells everyone he is a Chow you can hug. Chows really are good dogs. When my two were first taken to our current vet (we moved from Savannah to GPT, MS) the initial reaction was OMG, chows. It didn't take long for the entire staff to learn that they were just big lovable teddy bears. At home, they are protective, but in public, they know that polite and respectful dogs get the attention they deserve.

Reading through this post got me to thinking, so I checked Malachi when he wags his tail, and only the very base of it moves. The rest of it stays in place on his back. When I go to bed, Ursa is beside the bed already (She and the wife go to the bedroom at just after 8PM to read and watch TV). She is usually laying on her side with her tail relaxed, so it wags a bit more when she sees me.