Does your chow chase butterflies?

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Does your chow chase butterflies?

Post by chowpups »

We have this butterfly bush that Nikki just loves.. She chases the butterflies all summer long.. In the picture you can see the yellow and black butterfly shes watching.. LOL.. This will keep her busy for hours..
307.JPG
305.JPG
Auddymay

Re: Does your chow chase butterflies?

Post by Auddymay »

Lily mostly leaves the butterflies alone. There is a Kildare, though who every year builds a nest on the edge of our driveway that she is interested in. I think both my girls know where her nest is. How those stupid birds survive, owing to their nest location on the ground and in traffic, I will never know.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

It took me a few seconds to see the butterfly on the first picture but I finally did!
Beautiful picture, the chow, the flowers, the butterfly... :D

Coco has not met a lot of butterflies, but she loves chasing bumblebees at the park... :roll:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Elodie
Nikki will chase bumble bees too.. But its much funnier watching butterflies cause they are just that close to getting caught , but I think Nikki has only caught 3 in 2 yrs..
Auddymay.
Right in the butterfly bush is a finches nest and thats tempting to her but she hasn't figured that one out yet..
I recommend getting a butterfly bush to anyone whos chow needs alittle extra exercise.. She runs from one end of the yard to the other trying to catch the ones that fly away from the bush..LOL..
She also guards her yard if they fly close to it..
293.JPG
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

That's cute! :lol: T&J chase bees and have attempted wasps... :shock: #-o But no butterflies.
Jess
chris

Post by chris »

Steel doesn't but Roxi(the Pom) does. :-)
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

I love your pictures, and your yard :) I don't get many butterflies for Sweetie to chase, but I've noticed that she does like to go after the birds. Every year I usually get a birds nest in the back yard, but the neighbor's cat usually takes care of it. :( Now that I have Sweetie, no bird's nest nor neighbor's cat in the yard.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

If it moves, Loha chases it. He has been known to paw at a single, wounded, crawling honey bee for 15 minutes. Really cruel, in a way, but nature can be that way. :twisted:

Loha's Dad
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Ahhh, growing lawns etc. is easy here in the mushroom capital of the US..good old mushroom soil ...
Nikki has also gently pawed a bee for it seems along time before it dies..natures pecking order I guess??
I have to admit there was never a butterfly or humming bird around till we planted this bush.. Now its beautiful in the summer loaded with all different butterflies and colors and now the hummingbirds too..
But it gives Nikki alittle extra activity while we float around in the pool which she hates.. :D
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Going back to a post of mine a couple of years ago.....My dear sweet Cheyenne chases Chow Fairies.
I think they look like a cross between a butterfly and a bird...however, I will never really know,
They keep Cheyenne busy watching and pacing for hours and she seems to see whole towns with Chow Fairy residents.
I have yet to catch a glimpse of these mystical creatures flying around the yard...but as long as Cheyenne enjoys them so much...who am I to comment?

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Chutters and Mia love to play with the butterflies on our butterfly bushes. They even play with moths at night, right outside the doggy door. Natures playmates.
Mia
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Sharons chows that is too funny.. Just think you didn't even have to spend money and buy a butterfly bush..I think that would even be funnier to watch..
Isn't it funny to see what amuses them.. Chow fairies is a new one though.. LOL...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, M & M chase butterflies and Elodie, they also chase bumble bees.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Karla
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Karla »

Mika shows some vague interest but only if its not too hot out, I discovered over the weekend that GK loves to chase them, so adorable to watch.
Karla and Mika
ImageImage
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

He hasn't seen any yet this year, but I'm sure he will. He has been going after bees. He actually got one in his mouth a few weeks ago. I was afraid he had gotten stung, but he seemed fine. He'll follow them and snap at them.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

OUr chow Tsunami LOVES to chase butterflies! We're close to the yearly monarch migration so we seem to get a lot of them! It reminds us of winnie the pooh and we love it! It's adorable. Tsunami will also chase Moths, bees, crane flies, and anything else fluttering around... It's super cute until you hear a CRUNCH!
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Lychee chases anything that moves! Birds, butterflies, flies, moths...and ofcourse our cat! :shock: :wink:
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Your garden is so beautiful. What a suitable backdrop for a beautiful chow! I haven't noticed any butterfly chasing but am planting a butterfly bush today so there will soon be more opportunities. My two chase squirrels, rabbits, chipmonks, and even smaller rodents. Teddy was kind enough to bring me a mouse he did away with just the other day.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868