well we dont want the hernia to bust. so were going to do it at 4 months
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New puppy

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy weighs in at 79lbs.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

lightforce18 wrote:well we dont want the hernia to bust. so were going to do it at 4 months
Four months is too young, they don't finish growing until at least 6 months, if he is going to be a big boy it may take longer than 6 months, there are serious risks in getting them neutered too early especially joint issues. You want him to stop humping simply say no and distract him. I've owned three un-neutered males and have never had one of the hump indiscrimately, a simple command it they stopped, even the one who had been bred by his first owner. He's humping now as a form of dominance, (something that doesn't always stop with neutering anyway), even females will hump. Neutering does NOT control certain issues, and if done too early can have negative effects including increased dog aggression.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Victory wrote:
lightforce18 wrote:well we dont want the hernia to bust. so were going to do it at 4 months
Four months is too young, they don't finish growing until at least 6 months, if he is going to be a big boy it may take longer than 6 months, there are serious risks in getting them neutered too early especially joint issues. You want him to stop humping simply say no and distract him. I've owned three un-neutered males and have never had one of the hump indiscrimately, a simple command it they stopped, even the one who had been bred by his first owner. He's humping now as a form of dominance, (something that doesn't always stop with neutering anyway), even females will hump. Neutering does NOT control certain issues, and if done too early can have negative effects including increased dog aggression.

Well hes got a huge hernia and we have to take care of both at the same time.
raisinails
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by raisinails »

SooOoooOoOooooo Cute ! such a baby!
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

He is adorable. Please let us know how he's doing. I got Dargo from West Texas Chow Rescue at age 5 months and he had been there since three months old and had already been snipped before they got him (he had been in a shelter in Austin). He seems to be doing just fine at the grand old age of 5 years old.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

lightforce18 wrote:do chows get anywhere neer 70 or 80 lbs?
Yes and more!

Please be aware that chows take a long time before they are fully grown and you should not even think about neuturing them until they are 12 to 18 months of age.

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Rowlee wrote:
lightforce18 wrote:do chows get anywhere neer 70 or 80 lbs?
Yes and more!

Please be aware that chows take a long time before they are fully grown and you should not even think about neuturing them until they are 12 to 18 months of age.

everyone keeps saying that, then why does the vet say we should do it at 4 months because his hernia is big?
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Lightforce, it might be a good idea if you ask your vet for the specific reasons why do the neutering with the hernia and then report the explanation here that way maybe everyone will understand. Maybe there are folks on here who know a lot about chows and dogs in general but NONE of us has actually examined your dog so at this point your vet knows more than we do. If you can afford a second opinion, give it a shot. Also, that might be the only vet around so you will have to trust his/her judgement and go with your own common sense. Is this about not wanting to anesthetize the dog a second time? Is it about doing two procedures at once? THat could save you a great deal of money which you might need later down the road. Ask the vet about the long term effects of early vs. late neutering. Then make your decision based on the information you have at hand and know you made the best choice you could for your chowboy. You seem to be very willing to learn all that you can and are doing your darnedest to take care of your furball. I applaud you for your concern and effort. Let us know what the vet says. You can just call the office and have him/her call you back when it's convenient.

Jeannean in CO
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Well the vet says, hes got a pretty big hernia. She wants to take care of it right away with the neutering so he doesnt have to go under the knife twice, and so that the hernia doesnt rupture by accident.

My boss neuterd his dog at 4 months. The vet told him the younger the dog, the quicker they heal and they bleed less. So its better to get it done younger.

I take the Dog in for his next shots in a week and a half ill talk to the vet then.
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

"Well the vet says, hes got a pretty big hernia. She wants to take care of it right away with the neutering so he doesnt have to go under the knife twice, and so that the hernia doesnt rupture by accident."

There's the answer right there. I wondered if it wasn't something like that. Good luck with your boy. More pictures!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Heres a new pic from last thursday.

Him again

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

OMG he is just too cute, I just want to cuddle him!
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

omg he's adorable!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

new pics of Yogi
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Hi
Yogi is adorable and I love the green eyes?? So cute have fun watching him grow up .. It just seems like yesterday that Nikki was that size..
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

the green eyes was a camera malfunction lol
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, I figured .. Nikki has a few of those out of space looks too.. but its still cute..
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Awwwww...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

He is just adorable and I agree, it seems just like yesterday that Milly was that young and she and Mabel are 8 1/2 now. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yogi is absolutely adorable! I love the creams and would like to have one someday, so I always love seeing pictures of them. How can you keep your hands off him!??!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

CoraP. wrote:Yogi is absolutely adorable! I love the creams and would like to have one someday, so I always love seeing pictures of them. How can you keep your hands off him!??!
pretty easily lol when u pet him alot eventually hell nip at ur hands