New puppy

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

New puppy

Post by lightforce18 »

Heres our new puppy Yogi. First Dog I've owned and its a chow. So this will be a challenge

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New puppy

Post by Coco Chow »

Yogi is adorable! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Coco was my first chow too...
Just ask questions if you're not sure of something, but don't worry you'll be fine.
Is it a boy or a girl?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

a boy
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome! Is this a first Chow? It is going to be the same from us all- Welcome! Cute Chowling! Socialize, socialize, socialize! If you have a puppy training class you can enroll him in, it goes a long way to the end goal of a well mannered Chow adult. Petstore's like Petsmart offer positive reinforcement training classes at about $100 for 8-10 weeks. Check out our training section, too. There are many helpful tips you can utilize. Enjoy sweet Yogi!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Yogi is SO cute!! The pictures are darling!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yea we are going to enroll him at petsmarts puppy socializing course. He has to be 10 weeks tho so we got a little to go. Hes only 6 weeks.
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Yogi is beautiful!
I just got a 7 week old male cream chow named "Louie". I am new to site and do not know how to post pictures yet but will figure it out asap. Louie looks a lot like Yogi. I also have a 4 year old black female named "Mailie" (My-Lee).
Last edited by Mailie's Mom on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

He's adorable!! Can't wait to see him as he grows!

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

took him to the vet today and they said he had worms in his poop and they gave him medicine to kill the worms. just gotta watch so he doesnt lick his poop or anything bad outside and get it again. But other wise hes good so far!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I always had cats and 16 years ago I saw this poor litle pup in a pet store while buying a fish for my son and they were sending him to the pound. I felt really bad and was catless at the time so I took him home figuring a dog couldn't be that much more work. They said he was a Chow and I had no idea what a Chow was.
Knowing what I know now...he was from a backyard breeder and was 99% Chow and was considered useless and went to the pet store.
Well owning a dog for the 1st time was a real experience...but a Chow made it even more of one.
He was a terror for the 1st few months being only 4 months old etc. But I finally mastered him and learned a lot about Chows and just loved him to bits. I lost him from an accident at 5 and was devastated...3 week later I couldn't stand not having my MO anymore and I went to the pound and came home with my Black boy JR who will be 13 this year. He too, is about 99% Chow witha polka dot tongue. He is very much all Chow and he is still my "baby". 3 1/2 years ago...back to the pound and my red girl Cheyenne came home...she is full Chow and was very abused at almost 4 yrs old. She will be 7 this week and has turned into the most beautiful sweet girl.
My two Chows are the most wonderful, intelligent and phenomonal creatures that I have ever known. Chows are different from other dogs and once you own one there is no going back to anything else. I love them both so much.
Enjoy your new baby...he is adorable and will bring you a lot of joy.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

for some reason I can't see the pictures from this computer, (at work) so I'll look at them tonight. I did want to say however that he's a bit young to be away from mom and sibs at 6wks, 8 wks is better. This is going to mean that getting him into puppy class is really important, if you kind find a puppy play meet too that will also be important for his socialization. Also if you know someone with an older dog that is good with puppies having the two come together will also be good, there some things he needs to learn that are better and easier taught by other dogs. Since this is your first dog and first chow, I really encourage you to use the training section of this site and to ask a lot of questions about raising him.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

He is a doll!! sorry to hear about the worms. Hope he will be healthy otherwise
SweetPea Rocks!!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

yea the backyard breeder said he was ready to take home and I did not knowing its better to wait 2 weeks till 8 weeks. We dont know any other dog owners in my area except my sister in law but shes far away. Her husky met yogi on Sunday and kept trying to pick him up by the back of his neck lol. But yogi wasnt having any of that lol.

I will sure be on here alot asking tons of questions. Being my first dog this will be a challenge.
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

You'll have so much fun! He's so adorable! Buddha was our first Chow, and we also got him from a BYB. We took him to Petsmart classes to and he did really well, he was definitely a teacher's pet LOL He'd do ANYTHING for her, and NOTHING for us! LOL Taking the class really helped alot on training and everything, we still marvel at how good Buddha is! I'm sure you'll be so happy, and this site is a wonderful resource for so much information and help as he grows!
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

at 6 weeks yogi weighed in at 8.25 pounds. does that mean hell be medium or large for a chow? How were your puppies weight when they were small? And now how much?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I'am not sure what Nikki was at 6wks since she was still with the breeder, but at 9wks she was 14.4 lbs at her 1st visit to the vet with me.. she is now 2 yrs old and weighs in at 56lbs and I'd say larger medium size.
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

I'm not sure what Tippsy weighed at that age, but as of now she weighs between 40 and 45 pounds.

But my black mix male, Jasper, weighed 5-6 lbs at what the vet told us was 8-12 weeks, and now at 5-6 months he weighs close to 50 lbs.
Jess
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

do chows get anywhere neer 70 or 80 lbs?
HarrysMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HarrysMom »

Welcome Yogi is adorable, as it has been said please come here with any questions, When I got Harry at 8 wks he was about 8 lbs. and now at 7 months he is 42lbs. I think Harrys dad was about 60-70 pounds , he looked huge the day we picked Harry up, I remeber asking how much he wieghted but for the life of me i cant remeber what was said, LOL. Good Luck with Yogi and Welcome to the board

Kris and Harry
you cant see me right? because you know my eyes are closed right?
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

cool thanks guys.

Another question which started todaY!

Yogi humps everything in site LOL. How do we get him to stop. Hes humping blankets, walls, chairs, couches, his teddy bear. LOL
HarrysMom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HarrysMom »

LOL Sounds like Harry, but he didnt start humpingtill he was about 12 weeks old and he humped everything, honestly I dont know how to make him stop except getting him neutered, which you really shouldnt do till he is a year old. Harry just out grew the stuffed animals, they got to small for him. I wish I knew what to tell you, I am sure someone here will be able to tell you. Harry did get Lyme Disease and thats when it stopped now that I am sitting here thinging about it, not that I recomend Yogi getting it.

Kris and Harry
you cant see me right? because you know my eyes are closed right?
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

My Butters is 85lbs., a big boy. He was also a humper. I recommend that as soon as he is old enough to get him neutered. I am not sure what age that is but I highly recommend you check that.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

What a lovely cuddly chowling. He is gorgeous. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

TJordan wrote:My Butters is 85lbs., a big boy. He was also a humper. I recommend that as soon as he is old enough to get him neutered. I am not sure what age that is but I highly recommend you check that.
wow 85! thats a big boy lol.

Yea Well yogi has a hernia so were getting him neutered and taking care of the hernia all at the same time. Doctor said earliest they can do it is 4 months of age.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

No need to hurry. It is better for the males to get a year in before the snip, if it is possible. The hormone change causes a change in the growth development, though others can tell you better, I have girls...lol. If it is unavoidable to have to do it now, he will be okay.