White Tails???

Share photos of your Chow Chows!

Moderator: chowadmin

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: White Tails???

Post by vicster605 »

Hey is that Holden with all that white??? Kyra just lost her puppy coat and is slow about growing in her new one because of being spayed( I think) but she does have some white hairs coming in.....Oh now I'm getting excited to see how it grows back in \:D/

Thanks Sweetpea!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Yep, that's Holden. I uploaded that pic just for you :wink:
ImageImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Awwww he is just beautiful!!! I didn't know blues had Chincilla markings either.....I must be the only one that didn't know about this :lol: Darn I'm slow :lol:
Thanks for downloading his pic he really is beautiful with his tail and pants in the pic :D :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

vicster605 wrote:I didn't know blues had Chincilla markings either.....I must be the only one that didn't know about this
Nope your not the only one! This was a great thread you started, I had no idea of the Chincilla markings at all. I think this is awesome that blues can get them too.

Now that Ziggy is 7 months old and blown the majority of his puppy coat, we must subsite on one or two white hairs here and there throughout his coat. No more Chinie Chin Chilla :cry:

Need to get some new pics of him but he has a beautiful shiny black coat, hoping it keepss growing longer than it is now. How old is Kyra now?
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Kyra just made 1 in March but in the middle of blowin' her puppy coat I had her spayed and it seems to have taken a toll on her growin' in her new coat......it is growin' in but is slow about it.
How old was Holden when he started to get his Chincilla Markings??? Ok so maybe I'm wishful thinkin' here but I sure do LOVE the look :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Vicki,
Neelaa is a blue and she has those "chinchilla" markings as well. I don't have any pics of her backside, I will have to get some. She is looking a bit scruffy at the moment as she is still losing hair and her bald patches are growing. We have an appt next week at the vet and if no solution is found there, my boss recommended a holistic vet that he says is fantastic. I have to do something about my poor balding baby... :lol: :lol: Besides; I'm getting darn tired of vacumming twice a day and picking up tufts of hair off the floor. But I will definately try to get a photo of her "grey" tail for you.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

vicster605 wrote:Kyra just made 1 in March but in the middle of blowin' her puppy coat I had her spayed and it seems to have taken a toll on her growin' in her new coat......it is growin' in but is slow about it.
How old was Holden when he started to get his Chincilla Markings??? Ok so maybe I'm wishful thinkin' here but I sure do LOVE the look :D
Hmm... I honestly don't really remember. I found this pic of him as a baby and you can kind of see the markings on his butt:

And this one you can kind of see it on his tail:

ImageImageImage
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

vicster605 wrote:Kyra just made 1 in March but in the middle of blowin' her puppy coat I had her spayed and it seems to have taken a toll on her growin' in her new coat......it is growin' in but is slow about it.
Wondering how old she was when spayed? Trying to judge Ziggy's coat growth, we got him from a shelter and as is the case we know chow but don't know if there is an X factor involved or not. I was just curious.

Thanks
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

We had a big discussion on when was the best time to spay and came to the conclusion that it was best for development of their bones to wait until after their 1st heat. So Kyra was around 9 or 10 mos when I got her spayed but Kyra was in the middle of blowin' her baby coat at the time, so the lack of hormones, anesthesia, surgery and growing in her adult coat at the same time :roll: She almost looks like a pound puppy lol So don't know how you could go by that......really depends on when you spay them and I'm sure alot of other things. Kearra went into heat after she had blown her baby coat and has the most BEAUTIFUL long lush coat right now.....they seem to grow more coat after spayin' from what I heard and what I can tell by Kearra.

Awwwww a baby white butt!!!! Well, guess there isn't much hope for Kyra to get a white butt & tail then :roll:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks Vicki, we have held on on Ziggy's neuter after reading the info Kiwani had shared with us relative to growth plates, etc. He blew his puppy coat 2 months ago (at 5 months) and the adult hair is almost 2 inches long now. I totally understand that pound puppy look lol. Ziggy still has puppy fuz on this head/mane/and part of his tail, smooth and silky on the rest of his body. He really looks goofy right now.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Wow thats kinda early....seems the lighter Chows do look even more ummmm funny to me I guess cuz you can really see the color difference from the puppy coat and the adult coat.....I'm thinkin' Ugly Duckling though...can't wait to see the swan :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ginger Bears Mom wrote:Wow thats kinda early
Thats what I was thinking also, we just don't know if there is a Mix in there and if so what it is.
During the blow!
During the blow!
Ziggy 4-11-08.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Ginger Bears Mom wrote:I'm thinkin' Ugly Duckling though...can't wait to see the swan
Me too! My mantra of late is Swan, Swan, Swan, can't wait till debuts! This next pix was taken mid June,
Hair growth patterns
Hair growth patterns
Ziggy 6-13-08.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
You can still see some of the puppy fuzz above I had mentioned. I don't recall with our previous Chow seeing all of the various hair growth patterns, but then again she was a Red/Cinnamon and I don't know in Ziggy if this is a normal chow hair growth pattern or the X-factor :?
On my way to the BIG BOY dog park!  They say it is fun..not too sure!
On my way to the BIG BOY dog park! They say it is fun..not too sure!
Ziggy 6-23-08.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Betty, Ziggy's Mom

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

It looks normal to me....I'm no expert though....only have Kearra to go by. She looked exactly the same way when she lost her puppy coat and then after spayin her she has the long and silky hair on her back and tail and her maine filled in slowly. Doesn't look like much x-factor got in there if you ask me :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

This thread may have started before I joined the site and I've been bad about following things lately. I think I posted this picture before, but here is Sullivan's rear:

Someone told us once she was a silver night (or knight) chow, but Sam told me he'd never heard of the, so I guess chincilla markings are as close as it gets.
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Deb, when you posted pics of Sullivan's pants and tail....her pics were the first time I ever saw Chincilla markings!!! I thought she was just BEAUTIFUL!!!
Then I saw Sam's Black Betty at Chow Fest I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! My daughter on the other hand thinks it looks silly on a Chow, What does she know :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Mais tres bonne. Unfortunately, Sullivan lost most of her tail when she died. The loss of her tail was probably one of the first signs something was wrong. Forrest mentioned that it seemed smaller one day, and I just thought it was compared to Gilbert who has a very long, curly tail. A few weeks later we got the diagnosis. What was really weird is that it would make sense to me that the bone (I know it's really cartiledge) in her tail would shrink, but it stayed, about all that was left was the bone. At first I thought it was her medicines, but she had started loosing hair before then. Her tail became less and less bushy. Probably the cancer affected her autoimmune system. But, I'm digressing -- though if anyone notices this, you might want to get it checked out if you see that your chow (or any dog) is losing fur, especially around the tail. Gotta go, Forrest is vacuuming (yes, I know it's a dilemma, a new dog or someone who vacuums) and Gilbert is going bonkers. Oh, Gilbert -- wait that's another topic.
courtsey of Sweetpea