Hobo

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hobo

Post by debraschow »

In remembrance of Hobo:

I will never forget that first night that you laid your head on my shoulder and we drove home, Memorial Weekend 1995. I remember how you just heaved a big old sigh and I wasn’t sure why. You were supposed to get cleaned up by me and taken to the chow rescue, but apparently there were other plans that I was not aware of. You were so thin. You were a year and a half old and weighed all of 29 pounds. You were a complete mat. You had no hair on your ears, your belly was covered with tar. You had foxtails under your skin. Your eyes were filled with pus, and you stunk. Lord you smelled. You walked into the house and laid down in the corner like, this is nice, I will stay right here and I won’t be any trouble at all and you never were. Buddy and Terra came over and sniffed you all over. ‘Course they were used to the ever growing family. The next morning you got up and I tried to get you to go outside and you stood at the door and wouldn’t move. And Bud went around you and down the stairs, and Terra stood behind you and pushed your butt with her nose and Bud climbed up a step and nuzzled you and you made it down. They knew you were blind, I didn’t. They walked right next to you the whole time, and showed you the yard, showed you your new home. We got your belly shaved and your body groomed, and you didn’t stink any more, and you had a cute bandana. You went to the vet the next day, and that’s when we found out you were blind. The vet got the foxtails out of your skin, you got neutered, and when you came home the following day, and Bud and Terra were so excited, we looked at each other and said guess he’s ours, no way Bud and Terra would have let you go. The cat’s would tease you and you would try to get them, but you were attacking the pillow that they were just on. You weren’t supposed to be on the couch, but you would. The dogs would play catch in the backyard, and you knew it sounded like fun and you wanted to participate, but you couldn’t until I found the hard rubber ball with the bell in it. Oh my, you were the little fetch hound with that ball! It was amazing to watch you. When daddy taught you how to up and down stairs in the house, you were so proud of your self. You were an amazing little guy. And while your two older siblings seemed to have weight problems, not you! You always weighed 52 pounds. Life was good for all of us. You and Terra loved camping, Buddy was appalled that we were going to make him drink river water, and he would have to sleep on the floor of the tent, and not on a bed. He walked up to the truck and got behind the steering wheel, like okay I am going home, there is no way I can tolerate this. He never changed. You loved the sniffs, and all the new stuff. You loved the ocean, you loved the mountains, you loved your house, and the school playground up the street where you could really stretch your legs. You loved moving to Michigan, in your new house, on your 10 acres, where every tree on the property was yours. Every plant, every blade of grass. You loved the lake at Grandmother and Grandfather, and you loved your Grandmothers voice on the phone. You always knew your limits, if there were too many people or kids, you just removed yourself from the situation. Buddy and Terra always took care of you, cleaning your ears, and your eyes, and your teeth. Then when Bud started getting older, you took over taking care of Buddy, just like he had always taken care of you. You were the best brother Buddy could have ever had. I know you missed him terribly when he went, we could see how lost you felt, but then you and Terra became even closer and you took care of her. Then we lose her, and your world just got turned upside down. We both felt so bad, but we didn’t think we could bring another animal in, because we thought it would be tough on you. You were just our little gem, just the kindest, schmooshy faced boy. We would take our walks and you just really enjoyed the time. And then there was the Poopy Dances you started here in Michigan. You silly little guy, front legs, out front and on the ground, butt up in the air, popping up and down and going around in circles, and making that snort bark, after your poopy, then we would clap because you were so funny, and you would do it more. You were a character. You weren’t a bed dog, but we would bring you up and you just loved rolling around in the bed, rubbing your face and digging in, and then your were done. Reminded my of when we were in California, and you and Bud took all the laundry off the line, that you could reach and rolled around in it and slept on it.

You all were the best dogs, I miss you terribly, I have never been without a dog till now. I still can’t shake the eagle experience with you, I wonder if that was the first time you saw too, and the eagle showed you everything. You deserve it little man, you were the bravest guy, you never let anything stop you, you were going to do what ever any other dog could do, you even swam. I miss your popcorn, dirty sock smell. I miss burying my head into all of that fur. I miss that head on my legs. I miss those kisses. I miss your attempt at hugging. I miss your snoring. I was loved.

Till we are all together again, in a different place and a different time. I love you all.

Your Mom
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Eagle Poem
by Joy Harjo

To pray you open your whole self
To sky, to earth, to sun, to moon
To one whole voice that is you.
And know there is more
That you can't see, can't hear,
Can't know except in moments
Steadily growing, and in languages
That aren't always sound but other
Circles of motion.

Like eagle that Sunday morning
Over Salt River. Circled in blue sky
In wind, swept our hearts clean
With sacred wings.

We see you, see ourselves and know
That we must take the utmost care
And kindness in all things.
Breathe in, knowing we are made of
All this, and breathe, knowing
We are truly blessed because we
Were born, and die soon within a
True circle of motion,
Like eagle rounding out the morning
Inside us.
We pray that it will be done
In beauty.
In beauty.

jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

debra,
you have been a blessing and been blessed.hobo sounds like he was a very special little guy.you gave him all the love you had and a wonderful life.I know hobo would not want you to be alone.you'll never forget him,he'll always be in your heart.
jacqui
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Debra,

It took me all day, and many tears to get through your tribute to Hobo, but I'm glad I did finally get through it. It was simply a beautiful tribute to a wonderful companion. It takes a very special person to rescue and adopt a pet with disabilities...it sounds like you gave Hobo the best life a pet could have.

Amanda
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Debra, you are the human parent that homeless dogs dream of.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

hugs
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Debra,

Your tribute was so surreal! It was just beautiful!
I agree with Amanda, it takes a special person to rescue
a furkid with special needs. You are a sweetheart!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!