One Year Later

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

One Year Later

Post by Sojourner11 »

Well,

Today is the one year anniversary of losing Marshall. I can't believe a year has passed since that fateful night. Not a day has passed without me playing all the events leading up to and past that night. Looking back I can see all the signs of his age and health, but never thought it would have turned out like this. Still, I know they can't live forever but there is a lot about the last year and half before that night that I would like to have done differently.

What I miss the most is the un-spoken bond that exists from having been together for so long. I could just look at him and know what he wanted to say. The serious look, the snap too...head cocking, jubilation when I called it out, "Ride?", the explosion of energy and happiness as he took off for a mini-zoomie of excitement. The tail chasing, on-his-back twisting, grunting and vocalizing, moments as I jingled my keys and grabbed for the leash. In our VW Vanagon we went via the side door. Lots of room back there in the middle floor space, about 20sqft, plus the back bench seat and rear cushion which folds out to a bed. Heading out to anywhere the road took us. At last count I think we covered about 29 states, several mountain ranges, two oceans, one gulf, both coasts and damn near everything in between. I think his favorite spots were up on the fridge which is directly behind the drivers seat, he could then poke his snout out the window from behind my headrest. That one got us a lot of looks going down the road. Oddly the other was in the passenger floorboard. Not sure why there and not stretch out in the back, I guess he liked curling up and plus fresh air vents. Or maybe he just wanted to be near me...yeah that was it.

Every morning and night we'd do the same ritual, he'd jam his muzzle up under my chin and get a hug-kiss-pat, I'd say the same thing, "Love ya buddy", He'd reply with a snort and a licking if his nose.

So many memories, so many stories. I lost my best friend that night, and it still hurts every damn day.

The Next Generation:

Emma-There is a weird link between Emma and Marshall. I never told anybody this but day or so after I brought Emma home I was sitting in my office basically in a state of total despair. When I looked over to Emma who was there sitting quietly and asked her something crazy. I think it went something like.."did Marshall die, his spirit go to you, and I was meant to find you, bring you back here for you to be with me? As soon as I said that she LEAPED! up and down, over and over, like she was going for a Frisbee! It was kinda nuts, one me asking some crazy bs like that and two for her flipping out when I did. I always think about that moment when I think I should find her another home, one where she can be the center of attention, which is a role she is best suited for. But I always think back to that moment. She still can be a pain, a little of her lack of ...something she didn't get from her first owner, attention and house training. Her messes are getting farther and father apart but they still happen. She is the only one of the 3 who sleeps on the bed.

Hunter-ahhhh I'd never seen such a fat dog. What a butterbean he was. Left by his family (like Emma) and the A/C, 11 years old and ailing with a nasty case of kennel cough. Half beagle, half Basset Old Hunter scrambled out of that hell hole and jumped right into the side door of the Vanagon like it was nothing. Cutting loose with that distinct Beagle AAROOOOOT! every two seconds as he walked and sniffed the backyard. He didn't ask for much and gave so much in the short time I had him. If I can get the land, I'd like to build and Old Dogs ranch for cases like his.

Solo-ahhh sweet, nice guy Solo. You could not find a nicer Chow, or dog for that matter. Not much really to say about him really. Quiet, calm, reserved, no real health problems except on on going battle of ear mites. Eats his food, doesn't bark, gives purple kisses, he really is a good boy. I did wake the other night when he jumped in bed when some lightening flashed lit up the sky. He stepped on my head trying to get ...heck, I don't know where he was trying to get to...the 4 inch space between the top of my head and the wall I guess. Can't imagine him being that scared of just flashes with no thunder when he has to spend all those years as an outside dog. Solo hasn't a mean bone in his body, and is so gentle he could carry a tomato in his mouth and not break the skin. He should be the poster Chow for rescuing an adult Chow and how well it can work out for everybody.

Hannah Banana-those spirited Chow mixes. A rescue turned into a forever home, Hannah is all about the loving. She can get her head scratched for as long as you can scratch. Usually found on the coolest part of the house, stretched out on a hard floor, Hannah has become a part of the pack. Her and Emma play power trip over gets what food bowl, both with some food aggression still but 99% of the time they get along well and often play with each other. Hannah reminds me of a bubbly hippie chick from the 70's. I still would like to find her a better home, but am in no rush. I enjoy her antics, tricks and her silly behavior.

But all of these kids combined can't add up to the swagger that Marshall had. He could walk the walk, talk the talk, and back it up. A smile and expressive eyes he melted hearts everywhere we went. For those who violated his space , or I should say those who were unwelcome in violating his space, got the "Cujo" eyes and show of teeth. Others, I think based on his own judge of character, could walk right up and get friendly with no problems. He was the whole package. He was my friend. And even though a Chow only on his mommas side, he was all Chow. He was my Chow.

Love you buddy, still miss you everyday, see you again oneday. :cry:
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

You never really get over the loss. It helps to have your other friends, but the ones passed on can never be replaced. You lost your best friend that day and I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. It feels trite to read those words, but they are heart felt. I know it hurts just as bad today as it did then, you just learn to function a little better without them over the course of time.
I know Marshall is still with you, not in the sense that we all wish they could be... but a different way. And you will see him again someday.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

What a beautiful tribute to all your puppies. I especially liked the part where your one dog jumped when you talked about Marshall. I do think there is some psychic bond. I named Charlie after my grandfather whom I never met. I swear that every time I ask if he's my grandfather he winks at me -- seriously -- a one eye wink.

At any rate, I think we all feel your emotions and glad you wrote about it.
courtsey of Sweetpea
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

what a beautiful story! I am so glad you wrote it because I so enjoyed reading it. Marshall will always be with you in your heart and he will be waiting for you....
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."

ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Sean, Marshall was truly one of those once in a lifetime soul mates, wasn't he? I'm glad you can talk about Marshall, I know it hurts but it's good to talk. I'm glad you found room in your heart for others, that's very healing and a living tribute to your friend.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

What a beautiful tribute to all your furkids. I know what you mean--all of them are special in their own way...but there's always one that grabs your heart like nothing else. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories with us. You're a special guy.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I cried when I read your story.its so sad losing our best friends but when I feel so sad that I can't go on I try to remeber the best and happiest times we had.I'm so sorry for your loss of marshal but you loved him with all your heart and he knew that.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I can only imagine the horror of losing one of mine. I wish that I had more eloquent words to convey by sympathies. He is still with you though, for sure.
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

((((((((hugs))))))))
~ Sally