My Sweet Valentina

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

My Sweet Valentina

Post by zingara_princepessa »

I am happy to see this site back up and running again. It must be kismet, because I guess I need it this week more than ever.

On Monday this week, I had to put my baby girl, Valentina, down. I adopted her a year ago from Moonshine Chow Chows, where she was being fostered. She had been wild, living in a park in SoCal. I saw her on this site and fell in love.

I've been sick to my stomach for three days. My male keeps looking around for Valentina, and whimpering. I feel so guilty. I tried everything I could think of to help her re-socialize: we went to obedience school; we spent lots of time with her; we called in a behaviorist. Nothing seemed to work.

She was attached to me and tried to bite everyone else, even my husband. She attacked both of my nephews. She bit the 17 year old with no provocation whatsoever, and she tried to bite the 4 year old. That was the last straw.

I consulted my vet who said that sometimes a dog just can't be rehabilitated after living a life like Tina had before she came to us. She thought the best course of action, given how hard we tried to solve the problems, was to put Tina down before she seriously hurt someone. I took the doctor's advice. (This vet likes chows, and tried to like Tina, even though Tina tried several times to take a chunk out of her.)

I feel like I failed her. Every time I look at the male, I think my heart will break. He wouldn't leave her side Sunday night. It was as though he knew something was going to happen to her.

Thank you for letting me share this here. I loved this little girl. I just couldn't give her what she needed.

Jennifer
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

So Sorry.........

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry, Jennifer.
You did your best and sometimes that is just not enough. The bigger sadness would have been if she had bitten somebody seriously and you would have had the misery of officials taking over and the end would have been the same.
At least this way, she knew you loved her.
Again, I am so sorry - that is the worst decision in the world to take.
Please give your Chow boy a big hug.

Judy, MIlly and Mabel. :(
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you Judy.

Post by zingara_princepessa »

Thank you so much for your post. Parting with Tina was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. You're right: it would have been so much worse had she caused serious injury to someone. I am not eloquent enough to tell you how much your kind words mean to me.

Jenn
Karen

Jenn - Valentina

Post by Karen »

Jenn,
As difficult as it was, you had to decide on the side of keeping your family safe. It was very good that you rescued her and gave her a good year. Perhaps you will one day find a good companion for you, your other dog, and family members.
Take care,
Karen
omnicromm
Rank 0
Rank 0

you know

Post by omnicromm »

it sounds so sad, and i am so sorry for you, is so sad what you have to do, but you know what? you gave to that pretty girl a great last time, and you make a very responsible desition it could be very ugly in the future, maybe in some time she is going to really injure someone and maybe someone in self defense do something to her and maybe and maybe you avoid a lot of suffer to her and to your family, i cannot say in sometime you are going to forget this because it is not true, i cannot say in sometime it is not going to hurt you anymore because it is not true and i cannot say in sometime you are going to find another companion because it is not true, i can say in sometime you are going to see the things with more logic and with less fealings and you are going to see that was the best for you for your family and for her so please keep her in your heart, continue and in sometime you are going to find another of this little sweet dogs how is not going to substitute her but is going to be part another important part of your family!!!

please keep her in your heart i know it is a difficult desition and i know how you feel

but all of us are with you

Alex from Guatemala
Alex from Guatemala