Pills Kill...

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Foreverchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pills Kill...

Post by Foreverchow »

My beautiful blue chow... 12 years old... so cool and nonchalant... yet, still fast enough to chase rabbits around with my others two big dogs, which are only 2 yrs old!

Tonight she is gone... and I know what happened.

Last Wednesday, she didn't feel good. Hey, she's an older gal... and it's super hot outside. So she's not hungry. So she skip a meal. She knows if she's hungry or not. But, I insist a little... sprinkle some cheese... she eats a little bit, to please me. But it doesn't work in the evening, and she just pass on dinner. The morning after, she's puke the lunch she never digested in the first place. So why... why... do I decide to take her to the vet? I wanted the best for her, I guess. I also tell the Doc that she had also leaked a little urine on the patio. She had been on rx food for a while. I wanted to keep outside to keep her out of the heat, but was concerned by her possible little accidents. Doc decided to give me 2 weeks supply of phenylpropanolamine... to control her incontinence. I asked... isn't there some side effects with that?... No, she answered... I asked again, to make sure... no, nothing, she repeats... but she wants to check her in 2 weeks to make sure she doesn't have a bladder infection. At least, these pills will control the incontinence for the time being.

Again, why, why didn't I google the drug to find out about it... I know that there is sides effects with every drugs, we all know that!

IF I had seen that it should be avoid in dogs that have glaucoma, I would have say: NO, can't give her that. IF I would have known that it affected the heartbeat, no way I would have give her these pills.

But I didn't... and after four pills... 4 pills... she is gone.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pills Kill...

Post by Laura »

I am so sorry for your loss.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| So very sorry for your loss.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Foreverchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Foreverchow »

Thank you... sorry I double post. I didn't see my post so I thought I didn't hit "send". Since I was a new user, it needed approval, so it took a couple of days! I had time to re-write my story, in greater details, under your Health section.

Anyhow. it's been 3 nights, still horribly sick in my stomach when getting up in the morning and not having her around. The dobie and the puppy are also acting weird and quiet, she was the boss around here, and going outside to play with her was the highlight of their days. Cats, well they are cats... but those 2 little twin Siamese sisters are as sensitive as they can be devilish, so they are feeling the emptiness too.

We all been there, it's never easy no matter what the circumstance. I just wish I had a couple of weeks of vacay to put myself together, instead of going to work like a zombie and pretending that I have a stomach ache! I can't be reveling that I am sad over this loss. We know where this will go: too much pitty coming my way to try to help me out, or an endless series of everyone's discussion about their own loss.

That is why it's good to be on the board. Who ever can hear it reads it, and who can't just flip the page. Thanks again for being there.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

While we have a great vet, I still double check the meds they subscribe. I'm so sorry that your vet was not thorough enough. I know how the empty feeling you are dealing with - don't know how many tears I shed when my boy Chow passed. For many months I would find myself steep in emotion and crying...time will heal!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh