My Suki Passed, The Love Remains...

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

My Suki Passed, The Love Remains...

Post by Silly Sue »

Suki, Rest in Peace 4-16-16
Suki found me just about 15 years ago. I had written an obituary for my last Chow on the old site and someone contacted me with her after about three months from my last loss. When we got Sue in Arrowhead Ca. her name was "Little Girl in Light Pink" because she was identified in the litter with a light pink collar.
Like all Chows, she was a cute puppy; I took her everywhere with me so people could hold her. I remember I had just bought a new truck and had to go for a three hour drive, it wasn't her first car ride but it was early; poor baby threw up in the back. After that I propped her up so she could see and gave her more air and it was fine. We had a mountain cabin at the time, Sue had a little cubby under the bathroom sink, she liked to stay in there. I remember once watching her stare out the sliding door and me opening it for her; she wouldn't go out. Later I found out a mountain lion had been spotted.
Suki has always been great house dog, she had the run of the place and would lay down wherever I was. I Work at home. My favorite instance was when my daily audience of one would sit and listen to my guitar practice. if I could take her with me she went; If I go to get a burger, she gets a burger patty, If I go to play guitar at the pier, she goes with me. She knew the routine; when it was time for breakfast and lunch, time for the daily 3 mile walk on the beach, or to go to the gardens if in the city, time for bed right next to us, road trip, hotel, you name it.
The evening she passed was hard but not too emotional because she was done and told me so. We had found cancer in her mouth about four months before when she got an infection. I was able to keep her very happy for those four months with antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs. The cancer was advanced like her age so I spared her the agony of surgery and treatment. The last day the new stronger pain meds stopped working and she really didn't like them anyway. Sue and I loved each other and both held on as long as we could. Those last four months were amazing; I knew it was over and made the best of it. For most of it she was able to do her complete walk. I was able to keep her eating till the very end. She was beautiful to the very end; children and young people especially loved her. The quality was high and didn't really slip until the last week when clearly it had moved deeper.
I am so proud to have kept up my side of the bargain yet one more time (Sue is my third Chow, rest in peace Bear and Sheba). I had her for life starting at six weeks. My wife and I made her every meal which we cooked in the Crock Pot once a week (chicken or beef with brown rice). She got the run of the house and yard (those puffs of undercoat you find everywhere are good for picking up dust as you scoop them up). I bathed and brushed her regularly. I brushed her teeth but unfortunately didn't pay close enough attention to her breath and didn't look deep enough in her mouth. We were there for each other and added so much meaning to our lives. We protected each other unconditionally. Hot spots, ear hematoma, minor problems, bathing and hygiene I took care of myself. She hated the vet so I tried to keep her out of there. I remember once when she kicked a raccoons butt; I cleaned up her cuts and took her to the vet, he gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way without even touching her. She never bit me or anyone else; this was amazing to me because I knew some of the care had to hurt. I believe she trusted me because I had made sure to start the care when she was a puppy before she needed it; mouth, ears, eyes, etc. She had my complete respect. I talked to her softly and never scolded, i just led her and she wanted to please. She would lie in the hall or doorway frequently; I always said "excuse me Sue" in a sweet voice. She never spent a minute in a cage or kennel. Its amazing how beautiful the partnership can be. When Sue was a youngster my wife and daughter would play a game with her, they would say "where's your baby" and Sue would fetch a little stuffed animal.
What great memories I have. Even though I feel quite a bit of pain now there is no question that it is worth it. I pray that can grieve in a way that truly honors her spirit and not my selfish feelings of loss. Chow Chow is honor, composure, respect, nobility and loyalty. All they require is what they deserve; everything i've got. The last two days I've woken up howling with tears, it will get better as time passes. Today the pictures on this site set it off; when I look at them I can really feel their personalities, what beauty. I hope I've placed this post properly and that it helps someone. Thank You for listening, I needed to do this for us!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My Suki Passed, The Love Remains...

Post by Laura »

I am so sorry for your loss. I too lost my Chow Kody to an oral cancer. He was 14.5. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of love and loss.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful time you and Suki had together - a beautiful story! Waking up howling in tears - I know how that feels and while it seems it will last forever, the heart will heal and you will be able to look back at pictures & videos and remember the love with smiles of joyful memories.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Silly Sue »

Thank You for your thoughtful replies. Today was my first walk at the beach without her; did I ever feel lost. In her absence I can really feel what an important and wonderful part of my life she was. I don't think its good for me to get a new baby before I grieve. I think I need to get used to being alone and missing all the habits that come with a furry partner. looking for shade parking, watching where I step, worrying if the gate is open, making sure the water is full, bringing her bed out at nite, rushing home to see her, and on and on. I never thought too much about the work while I was doing it but now that shes gone I really feel empty. Am I right to let some time pass to be fair to a new puppy? Or is it better to get a new friend while I'm still in practice?
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

It is a very individual decision to get another pup. When I lost Kody I just couldn't bear it and I did get Shuggy very soon after. While he didn't replace Kody or take away my pain he did provide a distraction and someone new to love and care for. I still grieved but having a new little life to care for was helpful. Other people choose to wait years so it is what you think is best for you. When I went to look at pups I picked Shug up and he wrapped his little paws around my arm and was so relaxed that I felt like he was just for me. He was at a horrible place that thankfully has been shut down so I felt like Kody sent me to save him. Kody was so sweet and totally a mama's boy and so is Shug. Do what you think is best for you. Suki will approve!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We adopted a GSD puppy just weeks after Nahkohe crossed the bridge. My hubby wanted a dog he could take on long daily hikes. It just so happened that a litter of GSD mix puppies were up for adoption within 30 minutes of where we live. I was still grieving a lot and the puppy was a significant distraction. Some days I would not think about having lost Nahkohe and others I would think "you're not Nahkohe, you're not even a Chow". It will be different for everyone. Puppies can easily warm the heart! Saving another dog is a good thing and like Laura said - Suki would approve.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I am sorry for your loss, only dog lovers really understand. It sounds like Suki had a good life, couldn't have asked for better. We still tear up occasionally, since losing Suzy several months ago. We brought an 8 year old shelter dog home in December and she is going a long way towards filling the void but we do still miss Suzy. I agree with Laura and Kingalls, Suki would approve. We'll always miss Suzy but bringing in another dog has surely helped us get past the grief.
Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Silly Sue »

rmb wrote:I am sorry for your loss, only dog lovers really understand. It sounds like Suki had a good life, couldn't have asked for better. We still tear up occasionally, since losing Suzy several months ago. We brought an 8 year old shelter dog home in December and she is going a long way towards filling the void but we do still miss Suzy. I agree with Laura and Kingalls, Suki would approve. We'll always miss Suzy but bringing in another dog has surely helped us get past the grief.
Yay! Another Chow named Sue! I'll always remember how people would smile at her, especially when we were done talking and I'd say "come on Sue. This grieving has been different for me; I cried every day very hard for over two weeks, now the gratitude is moving in. God Bless you Sue, you'll always be my baby.
FurParent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FurParent »

I am sorry for your loss. It's painful to lose our beloved pooches but let's just think that they've done their part in our world and there will be a time that they have to come back to a place where they really belong, a place they deserve, a better place... I feel your pain :(
Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Silly Sue »

Thanks FurParent, I'm making my way to acceptance. I remember the day that I couldn't tell if the tears were sorrow or gratitude. Its been over a month and I'm still tearing up a bit, especially when I look at other pups on line. I was remembering the films Where The Red Fern Grows and Hachi which helped me accept the profound love I feel for my lost companions. A well meaning friend suggested I read the rainbow bridge poem thinking it would help; I don't think I ever cried so hard. I know its my place to care for a new baby at some point, I don't know of anyone with more of a calling to do it. I saw a 6mo Female on Craigslist today, the owner cant keep her because she is moving into an apartment. I'm sure there are others like me on this board who would agree; A Chow is a one person dog. Once the bonding has taken place I would sooner live in my car or on the street than give up on my family. A Chow is a loyal companion with deep instincts and feeling; I insist on being just as loyal, respectful and caring. I casually realize some of the time that I reap what I sow. I always realize the importance of a sacred relationship.

“As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.”
― Pythagoras
Silly Sue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Silly Sue »

Its been six years since I lost my Sue and I thought it was three. I've started looking for another pup. Please God I know the right pup will find me. I'm about to have all the time in the world for her. ❤️
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

Very Sorry for your loss, hoping a new pup finds you soon