In Memory of Zoey

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

In Memory of Zoey

Post by wokman »

Zoey's condition worsened through the day. Just like Abby last September things progressed rapidly, I do not have to wait for the biopsy report. Zoey lived a long life for a Chow, she is no longer in pain, she runs free with Kamie, Leo and Abby. O:)
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: In Memory of Zoey

Post by chow4life »

What the heck. If i‘m correct didn't Zoey just go in for a dental cleaning? I don't recall you saying anything about Zoey being sick. Maybe I missed it. This seems all to familiar.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Just like Abby, here today gone tomorrow. Zoey went in for an over due Dental, they found a growth on the back end of her tongue. It was too late the Cancer must have already spread through her. Zoey was not as lucky as Junipers Chow Chow, hers was caught in time apparently. Almost two years ago, Zoey was taken to the Veterinarian with my two other late Chow Chows for vaccinations and when it was her turn to go into the examination room her back legs went out. Surgery five days later corrected the problem. Ten days later Zoey's Mother Kamie's back legs went out.
For Kamie it was another burden to her already frail condition and that day she joined the others who passed on before her. I felt Zoey was living on borrowed time, since I was told the spinal surgery was good for maybe three years at the most if you were lucky. It has been a rough year loosing four dogs; Leo, Abby, Halley and Zoey.
Death is a part of life and our Pets lives are short, so enjoy them while they are with you and do not let them suffer when the end is near.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

I always read the other forums first before I read this one. I had just read your post in the “Community” forum regarding Zoey’s dental appointment and said a prayer for both of you. I then clicked on this posting and couldn’t believe what I was reading. My heart sank, my hand went to my mouth and tears came to my eyes. :(

I’m sending you my deepest heart felt sympathy for your loss of Zoey. I can’t imagine how devastated you must be after having lost Abby just 2 months ago and now losing Zoey plus loosing 2 others earlier this year. :( God love you! Even though they are gone from you physically they will always be with you in a special place in your heart and in the memory box in your mind. May it be of some comfort to you to know that when it is your time to leave this earth that your furbabies will be waiting to greet you at the rainbow bridge. What a great welcoming committee they will be! \:D/

You’re in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending you a comforting hug from me and purple kisses from Whitby

Run and be pain free Zoey and join your friends across the rainbow bridge

Take care
Pam
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

I am so sorry to hear this sad news about Zoey. It must be so hard for you losing so many members of your fur family so close together. Run free Zoey.
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

wokman wrote:Just like Abby, here today gone tomorrow. Zoey went in for an over due Dental, they found a growth on the back end of her tongue. It was too late the Cancer must have already spread through her. Zoey was not as lucky as Junipers Chow Chow, hers was caught in time apparently. Almost two years ago, Zoey was taken to the Veterinarian with my two other late Chow Chows for vaccinations and when it was her turn to go into the examination room her back legs went out. Surgery five days later corrected the problem. Ten days later Zoey's Mother Kamie's back legs went out.

For Kamie it was another burden to her already frail condition and that day she joined the others who passed on before her. I felt Zoey was living on borrowed time, since I was told the spinal surgery was good for maybe three years at the most if you were lucky. It has been a rough year loosing four dogs; Leo, Abby, Halley and Zoey.

Death is a part of life and our Pets lives are short, so enjoy them while they are with you and do not let them suffer when the end is near.
Hard to believe that you would just put Zoey down the day after surgery when she doesn’t recover quickly enough according to your timeline. Plus, make your own diagnosis that it was cancer and it must have spread through her before any results came in. Your chow was 84 in human years! With no food the day before surgery and no food the day of surgery and probably no food the day after since a piece of the back of the tongue was removed, you expected Zoey to not look like she’s at death’s door? No human person would look well after a surgery like that and would need much more time than 24 hours to recover and probably would need help to get out of bed! The pain meds would have handled the pain and Zoey’s mental depression would have been handled by much sleep, loving care and giving semi-liquid food until she was ready for more solid food.

Wokman, please do not compare Sheena to Zoey since Sheena was not well for at least a month before surgery, had abnormal blood tests, had the cracked tooth, dropped 6 lbs., and couldn’t even walk 20 feet w/o her legs giving out (and that was happening for up to 1.5 years) and I decided to take the chance w/the dental cleaning and surgery. Zoey was taking walks and had normal blood tests and even recovered mentally from the chow you euthanized two months earlier before she went in for a dental cleaning-Zoey was a much healthier chow than my Sheena!

One of the side effects of Melanoma in chows is weakness in the hind legs and cracked teeth. I guess it was the easier route to take that whatever Zoey had done 2 years ago in surgery for her hind legs had returned-1 year ahead of time rather than go thru all the energy it takes to give Zoey the time to recover. After surgery of the first mass removal from the tongue, I needed to literally carry Sheena outside and hold her up to do her business for 3 days. I didn't know how much longer my back would hold out since she was 53.5 lbs. of dead weight. She was in no pain since she was on pain meds.

And to think you didn’t even want to wait for the results of the biopsy report and made assumptions, what a travesty.

All I can say is “Poor Zoey.”

Yes, “death is a part of life, and a pet's life is short”...but don't make their lives shorter than they should be and assume it is time for them to go. Do your research, read medical reports online, as well as get second opinions. When pets get sick, get all the possible tests necessary to find out what the problem is, give them the time to recover, especially after having surgery, and wait for the diagnosis before you decide what to do.
Jennifer & Sheena
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Zoey is alive.

Post by wokman »

My apology to all for the time you spent reading my Post and expressing your heart felt emotion for my premature posting of what I thought was a no win situation for Zoey. Read my Post "Mark Twain" on the Community Forum.
I do not feel this is the Forum for this explanation. :oops:
christina chow mum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by christina chow mum »

No, it definitely isn't. In my opinion you should go and confess to the nearest priest!
Loving a Chow means never having to say your'e sorry.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Well shoot. I commented on her biopsy post before I saw this. So sorry for your loss.