Our Skye passed away

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Our Skye passed away

Post by Ylaartim »

Our first chowling, Skye, passed away last April 14. He was about to turn 3mos the next day. He was diagnosed with CD or Canine Distemper. He was confined in an animal hospital for about 3 days, until the vet told us that Skye could no longer handle his condition. He can barely open his eyes. When we call him, he would just move his tail. I could tell you he was very weak. He didnt even twitch when the vet put the dextross on him. He's tired fighting his battle. And I could no longer bear the pain. I cant stand seeing him in that condition. We decided that we'll perform euthanasia on him. I want him to be at peace already. I was simply devastated. Cant eat and sleep for days. I was crying my heart out. My eyes were swollen. Its barely a month that we had him. We complied with this vaccines. And I can say we really took a good care of him. The vet told us that even before we had him, he might already had the disease. That's why his death was all of a sudden. He was sick before we even bought him. So the next time we'll buy a chow chow, we'll make sure its from a legit breeder. The one who can guarantee us that the chow chow is healthy. Up to now, Im still broken hearted. They say to ease the pain somehow is to get another pet. But if ever I'll get another chow, I will make sure he's healthy and I wont let anything happen to him.

"DOGS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CANT SIMPLY HAVE ONE." - i thought this quote is cute. :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Our Skye passed away

Post by Victory »

So sorry for your loss. He was well loved. It was probably that his mom never was vaccinated and had distember and passed it to the pups. Adult dogs can be symtom free of this disease, but puppies are made really sick by it. Again so very sorry for your loss.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Victory wrote:So sorry for your loss. He was well loved. It was probably that his mom never was vaccinated and had distember and passed it to the pups. Adult dogs can be symtom free of this disease, but puppies are made really sick by it. Again so very sorry for your loss.
Thank you, Victory. :) atleast now we have our angel. O:)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry for your loss. You loved him for the short time you had him so just remembere with some happiness. [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

I am so sorry you had to learn this lesson in such a hard way!
Poor baby Skye! :cry:
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

So sorry for your loss.

I looked at your first post again. I do not know what legal recourse you have, but your parents look into it. You might not be the only one whose puppy was sick; their could be other families who purchased a puppy from the pet shop and had the same experience. The shop and the breeder should be held accountable if it sold you and others puppies that were not healthy.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

PCC wrote: I looked at your first post again. I do not know what legal recourse you have, but your parents look into it. You might not be the only one whose puppy was sick; their could be other families who purchased a puppy from the pet shop and had the same experience. The shop and the breeder should be held accountable if it sold you and others puppies that were not healthy.
That is an excellent idea! Maybe you can do some good this way, and save other dogs from the same fate!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Ylaartim, so sorry that ur cutie chow passed away. Please feel free to IM me if you want to get chow pups as the breeder I have bought is a relatively safe breeder although he does it for a living and not a hobby. He can locate a pup for you once you are ready or you might get your pup from him as well. . Distemper and Parvo are not easy to cure and such a young pup does not easily survive. Yes you are right, locate a legit breeder with all the PCCI papers needed. Better to pay extra than get a bargain. I doubt if your pup has ever been vaccinated before release.
Sarahloo: nope, Pcc suggestion will never happen. Not in our country.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

I'm so sorry that you lost your baby chow.
I hope you get another puppy when you are ready from a recommended breeder who can give you all the right papers and guaranteed health checks.
Skye was well loved by you x
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

I am so sorry you lost your baby...but your angel will live forever in your heart & memory.

I am not sure where you are located but have you given thought to adopting a rescue? There is less chance of those type of diseases in a pup 6 months old or older.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm sorry about your sweet chowling. This is a terrible, hard way to learn the reasons to avoid pet shops and puppy mills. Now you will be the one warning others about such dangers, but your knowledge comes at such a high personal cost. I hope your heart heals quickly and when you are ready to love another, take Cam Atis up on his offer.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Dear Ylaartim

My heart goes out to you. I lost by beloved Chloe a year ago January and the tears still come now and then like the waves at the ocean. Skye was with you for such a short time but will be in a special place in your heart and memory.

Bellachow suggested going the "rescue" route. As the saying goes "different stokes different folks" I rescued Chloe when she was 2 yrs
old and she passed away when she was 15 yrs. old. This past December I rescued Whitby who is going on 7 yrs. I guess I just have a place in my heart and home for rescues and try to encourage it. They need homes too

I'm sending you a long comforting hug.
Take care
Pam
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

>>heartache<< This has always been a fear of mine and I'm so glad our pups are doing well. I can't imagine how your own heart must ache only having been able to hold your chowling for a month. The waiting and waiting until you can do so can sometimes be unbearable, then to have it ripped away from you ... >>sigh<< ... I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you've found a measure of comfort from the fine folks on this forum. They helped me a great deal when we lost Kimba last year.

Somewhere there is a chow chow who needs you to hold them and now you have an angel to help him/her find you!!

Zoommie zoom with our Kimba and Rocky over Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure they'll run slowly so Skye can keep up!! {\o/} hugs to you!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)