R.I.P. Solo

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

R.I.P. Solo

Post by Sojourner11 »

This past Saturday, Solo developed a Gastric Torsion, aka Bloat, and had to be rushed to the ER. They did surgery and after 36hours he seemed ok. But late yesterday his symptoms came back while under observation at his regular vet. At the advice of my vet I rushed him to the ER again, not the same one but a 24/7 type and closer to my vets office. They said he would have to undergo another surgery or if I would make the decision to PTS since he was so far gone. So I decided to end his pain and send him over the bridge. He passed away at 8pm last night.

Solo was my rescue who in many ways filled the void left by Marshall, and in his own right carved out a new era of Chowness for me. He was one of the sweetest dogs I ever knew, and a great Chow. "Solo, gone but not forgotten. Love you Buddy!"

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: R.I.P. Solo

Post by chowpups »

Iam so sorry for your loss. The photos of Solo are very sweet He looks just like you describe him. To see our beloved pets suffering is so hard, may your happy memories help you though this sad time. I too am going through a loss of my chow recently and still missing her..
RIP SOLO

Nancy
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sean, I am so sorry to hear of Solo's passing. My heart goes out to you.

Rest in peace Solo!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Sean, I am so sorry to hear of Solo's passing. My heart goes out to you.

Rest in peace Solo!
Thanks Jess, I am sorry to hear about your pups too. They leave a big hole in your life when they go don't they?
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:cry: haven't heard from you for a while and so sad it is post.
Marshall and Solo are at the Bridge...one day you will play together again.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

kingalls wrote::cry: haven't heard from you for a while and so sad it is post.
Marshall and Solo are at the Bridge...one day you will play together again.
Yeah, I have been "afk" for a while. I have missed a lot of other furkids passing too. I am sorry I wasn't around for those, it's heartbreaking to hear so many have crossed over. Mainly due to work and a constant travel schedule, but emotionally exhausted as well. I had to check out for a while, both here and at the other place too. All my kids were fine, so not much new to report in on. Hannah had cancer, but I think I posted on that and she made a full recovery after her surgery. Emma is doing well too.

Solo had been showing some signs of change with him, he slept by my bed more often and wasn't as likely to get up and greet me when I came in the door, and was just the sweetest boy. he really was. Only showing excitement for his canned food "treat" that he got a few times a week and for some good head scratchin's. But other times he'd come up on the couch and use me as a body pillow, which was the absolute best you can ask for in my opinion. That is what I will remember and miss the most.

But the last thing he had before the bloat was a "Greenie". I normally don't give them any thing like that, but I was picking up Pill Pockets and grabbed them as an impulse buy. I can't say for certain, but he had nothing after that except for a little water. And to the best of my knowledge he didn't pass it through. I will never give those again, and after reading all the stories on the internet, including some lawsuits am asking others to do the same.

I have also posted on FB some links and articles on Gastric Torsion (bloat) to educate others who might not know about it. And to ask dog owners to have a plan for that one emergency that you hope will never come. My biggest mistake was not taking him to a 24/7 emergency clinic. I didn't realize that mine, or the one closest to me was a after hours care...not 24/7. Now in the case of bloat I had to go to the closest one, but instead of using my reg vet for post op, I should have checked him into a 24/7 facility, which is where I took him after my reg vet said he was bloating again and they had no after hours care. But he went from doing fine at 3pm to serious at 5:45. By the time I got there 6:30, picked him up and rushed him to the 24/7 place, Cobb Emergency Vet Clinic he has is was in critcal shape and cried all the way to CEVC. They relieved the pressure and got him under pain meds, but said it was going require another surgery at 4000$ or PTS. After he passed she asked if she could take a look because it was unusual for it to twist again, so I granted her that and she said that it was like it was really trying to twist over and that I made the right decision to PTS.

Still sucks, big emptiness over here now....way to quiet with out him running in and out and up to me with chow grunts saying "good morning". He will be missed greatly. :(
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Dear Sean,

My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I read about what you and poor Solo went through. :cry: People sometimes say they know how you feel, but they really don't. I can honestly say I know how you feel, I had to have my beloved Chloe put to sleep a year ago Jan. 26th. (If you feel up to it, you can read my post here - "In a Purple Fog")

I feel we can all use hugs from time to time. If it's OK with you, I'm sending you a comforting hug right now.

I enjoyed the pictures of Solo especially the one of just his face with those beautiful eyes looking straight at the lens of the camera. How precious!

Take Care

Pam
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

reddog wrote:Dear Sean,

My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I read about what you and poor Solo went through. :cry: People sometimes say they know how you feel, but they really don't. I can honestly say I know how you feel, I had to have my beloved Chloe put to sleep a year ago Jan. 26th. (If you feel up to it, you can read my post here - "In a Purple Fog")

I feel we can all use hugs from time to time. If it's OK with you, I'm sending you a comforting hug right now.

I enjoyed the pictures of Solo especially the one of just his face with those beautiful eyes looking straight at the lens of the camera. How precious!

Take Care

Pam
Thanks Pam, it really take other Chow owners to know the pain of losing one to understand. It's what brought me here back in 2006. Ironically last week I was thinking how after more than 5 years I could go a day or even an week without pining for Marshall, the one in my avatar. Then just like that "KABOOM", I am back to dealing with the loss of another Chow. It's gutting to say the least.

I have read your post and I am so sorry to hear what you're going thru, and am all to familiar with it. There is nothing else like it I have ever felt. Heck I have people I know who have died that don't invoke nearly the same sense of loss as does losing one of my furkids.

Time is the only thing that will heal the wound, but deep wounds as these take a long time to heal, if they ever really do.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

So sorry to welcome you back with such sad news, Sean. I'm not sure if you remember that Zhu had bloated twice too. He underwent a gastroplexy (sp?) as well. Then a month later he bloated again. The ER Vets were really surprised it happened as well. Luckily, I got him in on time. And although his heart was still recovering from the trauma that occured during his first bought of bloat, they just needed to pump his stomach this second time and he recovered. Funny how we remember the little details leading up to them getting gravely sick. Time will help you with the lingering ache of Solo not being right next to you. Once you find another chow to share your life with, the pain in your heart will be less noticable. I'm perma-fostering a 13 year old chow gal for Zingara_Princepessa's rescue. Having her here helped me with the loss of Miss Pooh Bear and turned my Tiggy's meloncholy life 360 degrees. She's been the best thing for Tiggs since he lost his big sister. So hang in there. The first few days can be agony since the memories are so raw but it does get better. (((H)))
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

Zhuyos mom wrote:So sorry to welcome you back with such sad news, Sean. I'm not sure if you remember that Zhu had bloated twice too. He underwent a gastroplexy (sp?) as well. Then a month later he bloated again. The ER Vets were really surprised it happened as well. Luckily, I got him in on time. And although his heart was still recovering from the trauma that occured during his first bought of bloat, they just needed to pump his stomach this second time and he recovered. Funny how we remember the little details leading up to them getting gravely sick. Time will help you with the lingering ache of Solo not being right next to you. Once you find another chow to share your life with, the pain in your heart will be less noticable. I'm perma-fostering a 13 year old chow gal for Zingara_Princepessa's rescue. Having her here helped me with the loss of Miss Pooh Bear and turned my Tiggy's meloncholy life 360 degrees. She's been the best thing for Tiggs since he lost his big sister. So hang in there. The first few days can be agony since the memories are so raw but it does get better. (((H)))
Well I have been afk for like 3 years :oops: ,and I really can't believe it's been that long, so I don't remember him getting bloat...I looked back for the thread (if there was one), and I'd like to read back over it or hear more about it because I have been playing the whole thing over and over and beating myself up for not doing this or not doing that. Bottom line is I should have had a better emergency plan and I didn't. I made two assumptions in his care that he was getting and maybe he could had recovered if I had done things differently, ....ugh ...just beating myself up again.

This time won't be as bad as Marsh, but it still sucks. I am going to look at a stray Chow tomorrow, he was posted here about two weeks ago. I just know I can't sit here feeling sorry for myself when so many still need homes.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sojourner11 wrote:
Tippsy'smom wrote:Sean, I am so sorry to hear of Solo's passing. My heart goes out to you.

Rest in peace Solo!
Thanks Jess, I am sorry to hear about your pups too. They leave a big hole in your life when they go don't they?
Thank Sean. They do leave a big hole... Coming up on 10 months since Tippsy passed, and I still find myself wish something could've been done different; even though she let me know it was time. I miss that girl so much... But having Dixie and Jasper around helps.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chrissybrook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chrissybrook »

So sorry to hear of your loss..lovely pics of Solo....RIP xoxox
Chrissy & Maya

Thank you Siriol for the lovely banner
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

May our Kimba and Rocky find your Solo and Marshall and let the zoomie-zoomie-zooms begin. Double purple kisses from our boys.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Sojourner11 wrote:Well I have been afk for like 3 years :oops: ,and I really can't believe it's been that long, so I don't remember him getting bloat...I looked back for the thread (if there was one), and I'd like to read back over it or hear more about it because I have been playing the whole thing over and over and beating myself up for not doing this or not doing that. Bottom line is I should have had a better emergency plan and I didn't. I made two assumptions in his care that he was getting and maybe he could had recovered if I had done things differently, ....ugh ...just beating myself up again.

This time won't be as bad as Marsh, but it still sucks. I am going to look at a stray Chow tomorrow, he was posted here about two weeks ago. I just know I can't sit here feeling sorry for myself when so many still need homes.
It seems like just yesterday and I thought the info was on this version of the site. But looking at the topic I wrote on Bloat info back in 2005, Zhu's bloat episodes happened during the time the cc.org forum page was on a different bulletin board system. But here is what I posted on this bb (its in the "Best of Health" subsection of "Health"): http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62 Sadly, my neighbor's 12 year old GSD succombed to bloat two days ago. I just found out last night. :cry:

I'm glad the fellow you visited the other day is home with you now. I'll move the thread to the rescued section and will reply to your question regarding a name for him. Once a rescuer, Sean, always a rescuer!
Sojourner11
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sojourner11 »

ZM,

Sorry to hear about the folks with GSD, my heart goes out to them.

I just read that thread and I still can't find anything that would have caused it. Especially that day when all the food and water bowls were up for cleaning, I normally keep 2 small water, 2 large water, and 3 medium food. I leave one food bowl and one water bowl out during "bowl cleaning day", in the spare bowls, just in case, but they never go near it, except Hannah who is always drinking. I have been beating myself up all week over this. Even though the last vet said it can happen at any time for no reason I still keep saying to myself " If I'd done this or that he'd still be here". It is an awful thing to happen and I hope we can raise awareness to spare others the same tragedy.

And I also don't think enough awareness is out there on the subject. I posted on FB and many comments and messages were that they had never heard of it. I friend read my FB post and called to say he lost a miniature horse to it after eating some kind of hay or grain that fermented in her stomach. But all Solo had was that damn Greenie and a little water later on. No big meal, no drinking lots of water, no excessive running or exercise. I just found more pictures of Solo on my camera after taking some of my little houseguest, so that was rough. This week will haunt me for a very long time.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hi Sean. I just sw this post. I have been away of late from the site. I'm sorry about Solo. He really was a sweet fellow. I'm glad you pushed through your pain and chose to help another. It's nice to see you back here.
dkas2929
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dkas2929 »

Sean,
My prayers go out to you and Solo, I've lost a few of my best friends over the years and it never
gets any easier. He was a beautiful dog and I can tell from your pics he was very loved. :cry:
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

I am sorry for your loss, am grieving my own as well, I do not think I will ever be over her!
big hugs to you, and again am so sorry!

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2