Farewell my Precious Bella

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

PreciousBella
Rank 0
Rank 0

Farewell my Precious Bella

Post by PreciousBella »

I lost my beloved Chow Bella this weekend rather suddenly. By the time we reached the emergency vet she had died in my arms.
She was approaching 10 and the vet believes her spleen ruptured as there was blood in her abdomin. She never suffered, and she left us in peace, faithfully looking in my eyes until the end.

I have cried for two days, and now I find myself considering a new Chow.

Our first, Bailey, was the love of my life, although she suffered from Pemphigus. We were young, and we did not know better - we bought her from a pet shop. I checked her papers after a TV expose on puppy mills, and sure enough, she came from a notorious mill somewhere in Nebraska. We loved her for 13 years and spent thousands of dollars on her medical treatment, which the vet thought was most likely a result of inbreeding.

We learned much from Bailey, and purchased our beloved Chow Bella from a farm breeder in Iowa, only after researching them and driving from Minneapolis to Hubbard to meet both dog parents as well as the breeders. Sadly over the years I lost touch with this family and do not believe they continued to rasie Chows.

Looking for referrals to good breeders in MN, NE, IA, WI, MO, ND, SD. If anyone has a referral I would greatly appreciate the advice. We will wait for the grief to pass, but the process of finding another puppy could take months I'm guessing - - besides, it has somehow relieved my pain to think of a new puppy. There will never be a replacement for either of my Chows, but life without one would just be too darn boring, they are the only breed for us.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Farewell my Precious Bella

Post by Sarahloo »

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved dog!
Have you considered a rescue Chow? Maybe even a difficult one? After all, you are now an experienced Chow home! No pressure, though! ;-)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so sorry for your loss!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

My sympathies for your loss. My Ursa has Pemphigus, and it is encouraging to me that you had Bailey for 13 years. I have two chows, Ursa and Malachi, both of which are rescues. I am with Sarahloo. Have you considered a rescue? Since you are experienced with the breed, you know how loving and loyal they are, as well as stubborn and difficult they can be.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

I'm so sorry for your loss. Though our Kimba left us June 3rd, I still shed tears for her. She was such a sweetie!!! Kimba taught me how to love a Chow Chow and now there's no other breed for me, or my husband.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)