Rest in Peace ... Our Garden Guard

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Rest in Peace ... Our Garden Guard

Post by cherriemater »

We are grieving the loss of Kimba Martin, who died June 3, 2011 at 10:20am. She was our Garden Guard, finding the coolest earth to lay where my husband had just hoed or tilled in the vegetable garden or my flower garden. In winter, she would sit in the corner of the house near the garden, watching the neighborhood or just ... waiting ... And when she would get comfortable and rest her head in her paws, closing her eyes, her face just seemed to disappear in fur. How restful, how delightful, how peaceful.

On this day, we her wrapped in her favorite blanket, opened her window in the truck where she would sit ("Wanna go for a ride?!?!?"), took her to Pigeon River State Forest and buried her next to Rocky (our Dutch Long-haired Shepherd and her 7-year companion RIP 10/2007). Just the night before I took a picture of her. She was so peaceful, resting soundly in the evening sunlight. I watched her for what seemed like hours, perhaps in reality it was only five or ten minutes. This was shortly after we returned from our walk around 8pm and she seemed so happy though her old bones made her walk more slowly. Still, she soldiered on taking a shorter route than usual which makes me think, "I shoulda known." Last night when Joe got home and we went to bed calling our usual, "Kimba, come up!" she had to be helped up as her hinds just didn't make it all the way and she slept right by his side all night (she usually gets up in the middle and goes to her bed in the living room). And ... she snored!! Ohhhhh how I will miss her heavy breathing and occasional snoring!!

Kimba and I had a rough road at the beginning (she was Joe's dog when we met four years ago), but the last year brought many happy times together after the loss of my job. Being home all day she relied on me to let her out (and in [and out and in, in and out, sometimes]), take her for walks, swift the mosquitoes away from her nose and eyes, give (spoil) her with treats and let her back in again. The ONE picture I don't have is the "how-much-is-that-doggie-in-the-window" shot where her hind legs would be on the patio and her fronts would be stretched on the top step. She would smile in the window (blue tongue hanging out, dripping) and give a little bark, then proceed to wag her fuzzy, curly tail until someone would come to her. She would scurry under the dining table, then peak her head back out or walk back into the kitchen for her treat. Not one, mind you. Oh no ... it had to be one, then two (and sometimes three or four if we had left-over chicken, beef or venison).

Joe said so appropriately after he lovingly wrapped her up, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed by the Name of the Lord." We are very grateful for the time we had with her. Though the flood of emotion is shattered by grief, I know the coming days will turn those shards to loving memories of long walks, days in Pigeon, chasing squirrels or chipmunks and our nightly conversations. Oh yes, she and I would talk about our day while waiting for Joe to come home while I made dinner (at one in the morning). Or, on the weekends while we were all resting in the living room from the days events, she and I would tell Joe how our week was or she would just tell a "story." I will miss her little sneezes that told me she wanted to go for a walk, or her harummmmmph (It's time to go out, Mommy!), or the pitter patter, clickity click of her nails as she would come find me or Joe, not to mention the one paw on your arm asking to be scratched. The wet paw prints on the cement or her "Family Circus" tracks in the snow. She would playfully nip at the back of Joe's knees when she wanted to play, or they would run up and down the hallway playing "chase." Joe had taught her to "help me up" by grabbing his wrist and pulling gently. But when she had to go out NOW, sometimes she would pull much harder. Funny, she always gave me a confused look when I would try to get her to do the same, like she was saying, "You're not my Dad!" But once, just once, she nudged my wrist. What JOY of acceptance. (I know you Chow Chow owners know what I'm talking about when you're not the "chosen" one ... acceptance can be a thrill of a lifetime!)

A pet is a blessing during the time in which they are here to share your life. My Dad said when I called to give the news, "Well, now you can say, "Good as Kimba!" as we say about our family dog Barney (RIP 11/1985). Yup, she was "good as Barn" to be sure!! It's almost been a week, now, since our loved one ran to Rainbow Bridge. As we laid her to rest by her buddy, Rocky, I told her, "Now you help him chase those rabbits! He always goes the wrong way." (Rocky lost his eyesight towards the end of his own life.)

Remembering is healing and I hope that, somehow, I can fill the emptiness. There's a gap, a huge gaping hole in my heart for my lovely girl, Kimba. She was my sunshine, my moon glow and a joyful part of my day. I miss her sorely.

In loving tribute ... Marti and Joe Martin
Attachments
Rest In Peace 256.jpg
Rest In Peace 256.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
Last edited by cherriemater on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
kingalls

Re: Rest in Peace ... Our Garden Guard

Post by kingalls »

[-o| Rest in peace, Kimba!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
oceans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oceans »

May Kimba rest in peace. This is so very well written. You obviously know what it is to love the chow and all of there quirky sounds they make. My favorite is probably the harummmmmph. Kimba was lucky to have a mom that spent so much time with her. I often find that just having their companionship makes the day a wonderful day. They can be complex sometimes but in all reality they are very simple. Remember the chow may not be your whole life but they certainly make your life whole. Take care.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so so sorry for your loss!

Rest in peace Kimba!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thank you Karen and Jess. Sharing this tribute is all a part of the healing process.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

A beautiful tribute for a great Chow. Even though you weren't 'the one' for Kimba, the mutual love showed through your posting. Kimba is again young and spry and at the Rainbow Bridge with Rocky. I lost my girl a year ago, and I still feel the loss deeply. Give yourself time to grieve the loss.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thank you Auddymay. I know that in time as I travel through the house or do something or see something that brings back a memory of our girl that the sobs will turn to tears, then the tears will turn to sighs, which will someday turn to smiles of loving memories. Your little girl is gorgeous!! Looks like she liked the water as much as Kimba loved the snow!! Thank you for your kind words. Marti~
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

oceans wrote:Remember the chow may not be your whole life but they certainly make your life whole.
Words well spoken and a soothing balm. Thank you, Oceans!!!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl. My family and I had our first loss of a chow right before Christmas last year and most here on the site have also experienced the loss of a chow so we do understand. They really do touch your life.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Thank you, Linda. I LOVE Boogie's face; those intent eyes that burn right through you. I bet he lights up your heart when he "smiles" like Kimba does for me. I also appreciate the camaraderie I have found here.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

UPDATE: Thank you to all those of you who sent kind words and condolences following the loss of our girl, Kimba. We just found out from our local breeder that ... we're pregnant!!!! We had had a deposit in with them over a year ago so that we could add a pup while Kimba was able to teach it all her wonderful traits, but were too far down on the list. But now ... we're first in line for pick of the litter and soooooo excited. I'll keep you updated when we bring home our lovely Sasha (if it's a girl) or Leonidas (if it's a boy). Woo hoo!!!
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

Dear Kimba ...

In 2006 I met your Dad at church when he asked me to take a photo of you and your brother Rocky. You guys sat so good for the photo, although Rocky had trouble paying attention. You were so young then and so lovely.
2006 Martin clan.jpg
2006 Martin clan.jpg (15.16 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
Then later, when Joe and I started dating, it was scary for you to see me visiting so often. You had to be on your tether then but the red line looked so lovely against your beautiful creamy coat.
2006 Snowy Kimba.jpg
2006 Snowy Kimba.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
Our first Christmas together was after I became your Momma and we all moved in together on Mancelona Road. Do you remember that? Ohhh the indignities of moving into a home with someone who loves to take photos. But your patience shown like a badge of honor throughout your life. And though I was never your person it was a joy and delight just to be "accepted" by you.
2007 Merry Kimba Christmas.jpg
2007 Merry Kimba Christmas.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 7255 times
I forgive you for biting me and I thank you for all the purple kisses and long conversations. Rest in Peace my beautiful girl. Thanks for sending our boys to us for they are keeping your spot warm near the window. I miss you.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, Marti that was a wonderful story and pictures complete it.. Kimba and Rocky would be so happy to see you enjoying the newbies...and passing the baton along to sit still for Christmas photos we know those photos are coming ..( we're waiting).
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

My dear girl ... the year has come and gone with so many changes you might have thought I'd forgotten you. But that would be impossible. You changed me with your presence and I will never forget you. One of my favorite mini-series of all time, Flambards, had a poem that I would like to recite to you:

When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me;
Plant thou no roses at my head,
Nor shady cypress tree:
Be the green grass above me
With showers and dewdrops wet;
And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.

And so, we will never forget. The tree we planted in your honor is growing straight and true. I often run my fingers through the long tendrils as I would your fluffy mane. We call it our Kimba Tree and planted it just where you used to sit to guard the garden and watch the neighborhood.
We planted this tree in our backyard 06/03/2011, where Kimba used to sit.
We planted this tree in our backyard 06/03/2011, where Kimba used to sit.
053112 Kimba Tree.jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 6986 times
I hope you have forgiven my hurriedness of a year ago. I hope that I can forgive myself someday, too. You would have loved Leo and Max and I am sad that you are not here to teach them so many of your wonderful traits. But, chows will be chows and whether they know it or not they do so many of the silly things you did.

Thank you, dear girl, for accepting me and for loving Joe. We miss you so very much and as the one year anniversary of your passing comes and goes I just want you to know that I will NEVER forget you nor will the place you left in my heart ever be filled.

Run on dear one, over the Rainbow Bridge.
Graze on the green, green grasses.
Run with Rocky, Barney, Squeaky, BJ and Boo.
Be free and without pain.
Someday I know we'll see you once more,
And live and laugh and love.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cherriemater »

My dear sweet Kimba Martin. Just a year ago you left us and joined Rocky over Rainbow Bridge. I thought about you a lot today and shed some tears of sorrow for all the things you missed. Zoomie, zoomie, zoom. Good girl, Kimba!
rainbow_elam_cr_2.jpg
rainbow_elam_cr_2.jpg (128.91 KiB) Viewed 6958 times