Gandalf 3 Years too young

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gandalf 3 Years too young

Post by Deanski »

It is with sadness that I had to put our sweet Gandalf down on 12/07/10. He was a Redcloud/Tienshan Chow Chow.

He was only three. He woke up lame in the rear and could not walk. We do not know why or what happened.

After taking him to our emergency vet center, between the cost of MRI, surgery etc, they est was $6K to $7K for the surgery.

I took him to our vet and had to put him down. I then took him to All-Pets in Stamford for a private cremation and now he's home.

He was the sweetest Chow, never growls, never bit, plays with every dog and person.

I will miss his way of mouthing my wrist lightly and rubbing his tounge under it. He was so sweet.

We miss him so much and only wish he had a full life.

He joins Jack, Gizmo and Boosha now beyond the rainbow bridge. :(
kingalls

Re: Gandalf 3 Years too young

Post by kingalls »

:cry: :cry: I'm so sorry..you've lost too many at such a young age. I remember your Gizmo from Monica's site - the same age as my Nahkohe.
As you say, Gandalf is playing with Gizmo at Rainbow Bridge.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Here's a picture of my big boy Gandalf who was taken too young away from us.

He has left a very big hole in our hearts and we miss him so much.

Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

kingalls wrote::cry: :cry: I'm so sorry..you've lost too many at such a young age. I remember your Gizmo from Monica's site - the same age as my Nahkohe.
As you say, Gandalf is playing with Gizmo at Rainbow Bridge.
Thank you for your kind words.

So many people who knew Gandalf are all in shock and disbelief as we are.

Of all my Chows, he was the sweetist, loving Chow. He loved to give affection and had a way to make everyone smile. He loved to hit me with his paw when I ignore him. He really enjoyed tennis balls and had a way to play with us by popping them out of his mouth or hitting them with his paws to pass the ball to me or my wife.

I really hurt to do what I did when he looks at me as to trust me. He was not in any pain, just unable to move his rear legs.

One thing, I want to have my car crushed, it's too difficult to drive it and know the last ride he had was in the back and I just cannot look in the rear view mirror.

Deanski
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

i am so sorry. Life can turn on a dime, as you now have learned. I feel your pain and the unfairness of it all. Gandalf is running through some deep fluff at the bridge, along side my Pip.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am very sorry for your loss. It is always rough but to lose him at such a young age makes it worse.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful boy. Godspeed, sweet Gandalf...
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

I'm very sorry to hear about your little guy.
Sincere sympathies to you and your family
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.

I just learned that within our condo complex, another young dog, not a Chow had similar issues with becoming lame in the rear and also was put down.

Now it may be a fluke, but now I'm begining to wonder if anything used on the property cause this problem in a heathly Chow who also was clear of any Lyme seeing I had him tested two weeks prior and all tests were negitive.

It's been very strange not having him in the house and it also leaves a big hole in our daily life.

Deanski
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

David
Boo Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boo Daddy »

Oh, he looked like such a sweetheart. I am so sorry for your loss.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I'm so sorry about the loss of your young boy Gandalf.
Its hard enough loosing them when they've had a long life but its extra hard when they are so young.
Rest in peace sweet boy.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
mommashows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mommashows »

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. We lost our almost 3 yr old girl on Jan. 24th. She suddenly died in our yard. Had an autopsy done and it was an aneurism. We are in shock and mourning. My sympathies to you and your family. I know what you are going through.
Carol, Lindsay, ON
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Momashows,

I know the feeling as well. One of my older male Chows was not doing well when I tried to schedule the breeder/vet-tech who let us have Jack years ago to come and put him down at the house.

One night prior, I heard him yelp, came down to him and found he released his bladder, then blood started coming from his mouth. I called the emergency vet center to try and have someone come over and end his suffering. They declinded and made me bring him to the center. By the time I arrived, he was gone.

I never wanted him to suffer as he suffered badly earlier in life as he was used for pit-bull bait and left for dead. We took him in and after long training, association with people and other dogs he became a wondeful boy.

It really pissed me off that no one could come and stop his suffering and to only pass on the way to the center.

It just seems too many vet centers who perform emergency services 24hrs and have affiliation with a national center are nothing more than money hungery business who care less for the health and more about how big and fat your wallet is.

Sad as there are many very talented people and interns passing through who show caring and a real love for the health and wellbeing of animals.

It still disturbs me that Gandalf was healthy and without me shelling out for an MRI, it may have been something not so serious, but I'll never know. Even with VPI coverage, they want cash up front.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was such a beautiful boy!

God speed, Gandalf!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Deanski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Deanski »

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, he was such a handsome boy and such a sweet Chow. Never growled, bit, barked or played ruff with other dogs, he showed his affection to so many people.

We miss coming home and all of a sudden seeing his face in the window or door. Worse is being home alone for a day and not having him here. It's too empty.

He was also unusual in the way he slept, always on his back, legs in all crazy directions, sometimes laying up upon a door or wall. Never had a Chow sleep this way, very strange but our breeder said many of them do this. I'll have to post a picture of his way of sleeping.

We will see once the weather is warmer about a new Chowling. We are just worried that we will go through this again loosing one at such an early age when they are healthy and without any concerns etc. Never did we expect this and after loosing Gizmo at three due to a bad reaction to a tranquilizer, it just took us with such grief loosing Gandalf this way.

Worse was the Vet Center not willing to offer some way to resolve this. It seems it's all about the money period. After all, I have no idea now if this was more serious or something not as serious. I'll never know and that's what bothers both of us. This is why I ask everyone to support their local vet and discuss situations such as this so that if something as terrible happens at least you may have a plan or a way to work around the whole money issue that can give you relief at that time and save you some horrible pain and anguish of not just puting your Chow down, but the thought of not knowing if it could have been prevented or something not as serious or reversable etc.

Thanks to all of you!