Troy de Bad Boy - Euthanized Dec. 19th

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Troy de Bad Boy - Euthanized Dec. 19th

Post by Juniper »

Troy de Bad Boy (really an exceptional GOOD boy-BAD in slang actually means GOOD) Saturday, December 19th, approximately 4 years 3 months young.

The Letter to the Dermatologist:

I sent this letter to Troy's Dermatologist today who asked for an update on Troy after I called his office on Saturday morning and he didn't return my call right away. I cc'd it to Troy's regular vet as well who had done the euthanizing...

Apparently, Troy had been scratching his neck and tore out a piece of skin on Thursday night and droplets of blood were falling all over the carpet and linoleum. (I thought he was scratching his ear whenever I saw him scratch but whenever I looked in his ear, it looked and smelled fine. I did take your advice to not overreact everytime Troy began to scratch. Maybe I took this too much to heart.) With Troy's excessively thick fur, as a result of the Atopica, I couldn't see anything and even though I wiped a white paper towel over his body no blood showed on the towel. I even checked my other chow Sheena and couldn't find anything. The next morning there were three 5 inch diameter stains of blood on the linens Troy slept on. So, on Saturday morning I spent two hours grooming Troy and located a wound about 1 inch in diameter just below the left side of his neck. It appeared to be a solid unmoveable mass much larger than that.

Well, I'm still getting over the loss and pain of my decision to euthanize Troy on Saturday. Dr. Raymond was in agreement and told me that the mass was extremely large. I'm so upset I can't think straight...I think he said the mass was 3 or 4 inches or more and it needed to come out. In the past weeks Troy's appetite had increased so I gave him 2.5 cans per day, but his weight had been consistently dropping since I last saw you and now it was about 50 lbs. I've had experience with carcinoma cancer and the one thing I know is that a drop in body weight, even with an increase in calories, is a sure sign of cancer having taken hold.

Beginning in August, Troy was consistently fighting with Sheena, which was probably a direct result of this tumor brewing in his chest/neck area. In September, Troy was bitten by Sheena as a result of Troy's aggressiveness, which resulted in his injury next to his eye. That's when I brought him into your emergency hospital. Unfortunately, the mass by the neck may or may not have been palpable at that time. Anyway, who would be looking at that area when the head and face was filled with pus.

In this past week, Troy even attempted to bite me a few times with all the pain this mass was causing. I decided to put him out of his misery even though he was dealing with the pain as best he could and was vibrant more often that not. Apparently, he had a high threshold of pain similar to me. I decided that there was no point in sustaining his pain regardless of how much I would miss him since that was not the only pain he was experiencing. On the Atopica, in the past few weeks, he began screaming/yelping while pulling his hair out on his back again; began chewing his feet, and I had to resort to putting him in the cone collar every time I left for work and had to watch him carefully when I was home, and I removed Troy from the restraint of the e-collar.

Troy's life was on a short stick. There was his arthritic leg from a healed over fracture when I rescued him at 9 months old, the ACL problem that was brewing as a result, the trying of all the different foods for possible allergies causing itching, antibiotics, the weekly and bi-weekly baths with different allergen shampoos and creme rinses, the progression to an excessive itching problem, more antibiotics, the administration of prednisone, and a food that Troy stopped itching on...Primal raw duck w/added boiled water; then Troy had the acute pancreatitis attack; the switch to the use of Z/D Ultra-Allergen canned food; then 9 months of no itching; then 3 months of living 24/7 in an e-collar; then some other meds Troy had a reaction to, then hydroxyzine, then Atopica with it, for approximately 8 months. Regardless, the itching returned with a vengeance.

I can't help but think that the suppressing of the immune system by the Atopica, the previous use of prednisone for one year (although the dose was only 2 mg. and the dose was continually decreased) added to the growth of this large tumor. It never quite made sense to me regarding the Z/D canned food...the addition of corn starch which is a known allergen to dogs was contained in this so-called ultra-allergen food. Plus this food contains hydrolyzed chicken liver...liver is known to contain carcinogens. It sounds illogical to me. Maybe that's why the itchiness returned after 9 months on the ultra-allergen Z/D food (due to the corn starch) even with the somewhat success of Atopica in thwarting some of the itching. The tumor possibly appeared due to the suppressing of the immune system and the carcinogenic food and former use of a steroid.

I know you all have meant well in your efforts and could only give me possible solutions that I could try. Troy was a very tough case and his days were numbered since he was born. Although he appeared to have some enjoyment, I can only hope he did. I think in the future if ever I am confronted with the adoption of a rescue with this many problems I would put the poor animal out of its misery sooner than later. His personality was what kept him here and what kept me working to find a solution where there was none except death. He was extremely loveable and I do miss him so. Sheena appears to be missing him as well.
Sincerely...

The Prognosis Event:
At the Vet's office, Troy was playing with the red stuffed toy he found there happy as can be. Then in the exam room, Troy, out of nowhere attempted to bite this vet for the very first time in 3.5 years and grabbed his tie...it was a shocking scene. The vet was being brought down to the ground with his tie and it took several commands of "give Troy give" from me to get Troy to let go of the Vet's necktie that now had holes in it. The vet gave him a shot to relax Troy of all the pain he was in and then he was able to feel the huge lump.

Our Last Enjoyable Moments:
I decided that Troy would probably not survive this cancer problem with the immuno-suppressant drug in his system as well as all his other problems and it was time to let him go. So......Sheena, Troy and I took our last walk in the park and fields nearby with each other. Troy was running/limping, barking at the squirrels, chasing the birds while on leash. I located a field and let Troy run free, Sheena... I leashed to the fence since I knew if I let her run free it would take forever for her to return or there would be another fight between them...Troy didn't know what to do with freedom since I walked him on leash even in the backyard since he would eat anything and everything and get sick. Troy went 100 feet away and looked at the freeway cars in the far distance, periodically tuning into the birds flying by..I don't know what he was thinking, I hope it was pleasurable. I called to him and Troy came rushing to me as I hugged and told him how much I loved him. Sheena appeared to understand. It was about a half hour walk. Two people walking their lab on the walkway remarked at how beautiful both of my chows were. I felt impelled to cry and tell them I had to euthanize my Troy, the black chow. They expressed their empathy. In the distance, a man running with his child in a carriage pointed to us and shouted..."look, look at the beautiful doggies" my heart just ached.

When we returned I took some pictures with a disposable camera, mocked myself for not taking video of Troy when he would throw both front legs in front of him to enter a down position, he looked so cute when he did that with a huge smile on his face. Frustrated that Troy never got the chance to romp in the snow. I asked this lady in front of the vet's office outside to please take some pictures of our last day together...I hope they turn out well.

The Final Decision:
When I went inside, the receptionist told me I didn't need to euthanize him today I could wait...that threw me into a confusing state of mind. I spoke with the vet, asked him if it was his pet and he stated he would euthanize. This was the same vet who refused to euthanize Troy when I felt hopeless 3 years ago. He believed it was lymphoma.

The Euthanasia Experience:
What aches my heart most is that this was another terrible euthanasia experience...I had two previous terrible episodes in the past with two cats and now it was poor Troy. Troy was full of energy and the first muscle relaxant did not take hold after a 15 minute wait that normally took 10 minutes. Troy was playing with the little lion on my keychain. I took the muzzle off the first time and was told not to take it off again after the second shot of a muscle relaxant. Troy hated muzzles and fought to breathe and take them off. Then the sodium penathol (sp?) shot was to be administered. Sheena was next to me on the floor as I held Troy's head. Apparently, Troy's veins collapsed in both of his hind legs, after quite a few attempts with two vet techs and then the vet, only half of the syringe had been administered. Troy was attempting to bite them the entire time with the muzzle on. Sheena was now standing and pacing but remained calm and just wanted out of the room. Then the front leg was shaved and as soon as the shot was administered Troy's eyes began to roll and he was gone in about 30 seconds. It was very traumatic for me and everybody, and especially Troy. The vet and I tried to relax Troy during the event but he was fighting for life or to stay awake.

My Wishes and Memories:
I only hope that Troy knew how much I loved him and how difficult it was for me to let him go...it is always too soon to say goodbye. I will always love my Troy de Bad Boy...previous winner of the Purple Kisses Contest of 2008...17 kisses on command on the hand! (And in practice up to 42 consecutive!) A true lover boy!

When I figure out how to post pics again I will post. Gotta get home to Sheena and see how she is doing.

Thank you so much for reading this. For all those who have lost their chows this year........May your heart find Peace.
Jennifer & Sheena
kingalls

Re: Troy de Bad Boy - Euthanized Dec. 19th

Post by kingalls »

Jennifer,
This is heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry that Troy had to leave us so soon. He is pain free at Rainbow Bridge now.
Our thoughts and prayers to you and Sheena.
Rest in peace, Troy...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear you had to let Troy go. My heart goes out to you and Sheena.

R.I.P. Troy!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

This was such a hard and traumatic decision for you. I am so sorry for what you have been through and the awful loss you are left with. Troy is in a better place and with time some of these bad memories will be replaced with joyful ones of your beautiful Troy. RIP Troy de Bad Boy.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Dear Jennifer,

Tears are rolling down my face as I read your post and am typing this reply. I don't know of anyone who put up the 'good fight' like you and Troy did and I commend you. Thank you for sharing and I hope you find peace in your heart soon.

Run free, Troy the Good Boy!

All our love,
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

I'm so sorry to hear about Troy. Sometimes I think that they leave us all too soon to, perhaps, make us appreciate the precious time that we have with them... Our hearts go out to you.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This is terrible news. I am so sorry. I'm sure Troy knew how much you loved him...they always do. You gave him the best life possible, and now his struggle is over. Godspeed, sweet Troy.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Oh, Jennifer, I am so sorry. Troy was the sweetest bad boy ever and you were the bestest mom for him. Words are never enough. Warmest hugs to you and Sheena.

Leonora, mum & dad
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Jennifer and Sheena, I am so sorry for your loss.
Troy was a fighter and had the spririt of a bear.
Poor baby boy left us way too soon.
May you frolic at the Rainbow Bridge.
Mia
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Thank you so much for all your replies...they have brought much comfort to me. Sheena appears to be taking this better than I, although I have a feeling that she is waiting for 5 days to pass...that's when Troy returned after his acute pancreatitis attack. I can only hope that she won't be so lonely that she stops hopping in excitement when I come home.

Still don't have internet at home. This building I work in will be closing down until January 4th.

Thank you so much for being here and understanding my grief. I spend all my time from work alone, home with my chows. Troy was so friendly, loveable and willing to do anything with me. He was more like a labrador retriever than a chow-chow the way he played with toys and squeaked different tunes on his doggie news rubber toy. In the past few months I trained him more and then he learned to freestyle dance with me to music going in and out of my legs to the rhythm. It was so much fun. Sheena would never do anything like that! Sheena's main goal in life is to watch the front and sliding door, protect me and bark whenever anyone in the neighborhood disturbs the peace and quiet! She's not very affectionate...I always need to work at getting her to relax. Thank you again for being here. :wink:

Have a really happy holiday season and much health and happiness to all of you, your family, furkids, featherkids, reptiles, fishies and whoever else I may have missed. Keep dancing always! \:D/
Jennifer & Sheena
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept that he is in a better place now.
Natasha
and
Cue
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

So sorry for your loss, i can only wish you will find comfort in the lovely memories you have of your bad boy,

I believe he is at rainbow bridge as our animals move between heaven and the bridge they will be there for us when its our time to guide us home.You will meet again in time.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Jennifer,
I am so sorry about your baby Troy. I know how much you have put into caring for him and loving him.
My heart is breaking for you and Sheena. It is never an easy decision to make but you know in your heart you did everything you could for Troy.
You gave him many happy years and are such a wonderful Chow Mommy!
You all are in my thoughts and prayers and may God Bless you for all you have been through.
My deepest sympathies to you and Sheena.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jennifer, Thank you for writing, I read it with tears in my eyes, not due to his pain but your obvious love for him and what you did to give him the best life you could. With Rescues there is no guarantee in what you will get, or how long you will have together. What is almost always guaranteed is that the family created will fill your life and your adoptee with love and happiness. Troy had so many problems and you were always there for him. He had a great life because he finally found a forever home and you are a great mom because you loved him enough to help ease his pain

David
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Jennifer, I was so sorry to hear about what you've been through. You know that Troy loved you and you did your very best for him. It's so difficult to make these kind of decisions and none of us ever want to go through it...but it really is the last loving gift we can give them sometimes. Run free sweet Troy...you were so loved!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Jennifer,

I did not see this until today.

My heart goes out to you. Troy is missed but you gave him some wonderful years and love that he probably would never have found.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Thank you...thank you all. Sheena appears to be happier since Troy is gone. Me...I miss him so...still cry periodically :( ; but then I still cry over all of the dogs, chows, cats, fish, birds and wildbirds that I've had, known and loved in the past. I'm an incurable lover of all of natures creatures...still working on loving all humanoids! :lol:

Spend more time with Sheena now, taking walks weekly. She still might do the turn around like she did after 6 months of rescuing her...getting depressed. But for now she still hops like a bunny when I get home and wants a bit more attention. She actually sleeps in the evenings in my bedroom in her bed...if only until I turn off the lights and go to sleep, then she's back on guard duty in the dining room and living room by her choice. :roll:

Thanks again for being here and sending so much positivity. I still can't use the computer at work very much...they're looking for all sorts of reasons to decrease employees and I definitely need to keep employed. People are becoming backstabbers and I even got pulled in last week for talking too loudly on the 3rd floor! Mind you...you can hear a pin drop in the front office from the back office on that floor! Next time some fellow employee complains It will go into my HR personnel folder! :lol: I'm not too worried...no one can do my job presently, I have a variety of skills they really need, I am reliable and a workaholic!

Have a really happy & healthy new year. :D

Jennifer & Sheena
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Don't worry about about the back stabbers, Jennifer. They are everywhere! I'm sure Sheena is liking the extra attention. Best of luck to you.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry - I only read this today. You gave him the best life. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rufnedge-2 »

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your boy, sorry I know my reply is late. All I've ever owned are Chow Chow's and you're experience is here to help others get through things that they may similarly experience now or later on in life...