Very sad, dog killed trying to help his friend

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Very sad, dog killed trying to help his friend

Post by Boogie and Linda »

This last weekend we drove to LA for a soccer tournament for my daughter. It was a 7 hour drive and we left Friday after school. When we were in the Central Valley in the middle of nowhere on a freeway going 70 MPH in moderate traffic when all of a sudden the cars in front of us started swerving and we could see dogs running on the freeway. When we got up to what was happening, there was one poor dog already dead in the middle of the freeway and two others barking and frantically running around. We stopped in the middle of the road but people wouldn't slow down and proceeded to speed through swerving around us and the dogs and laying on their horns only adding to the chaos. One of the dogs running around was trying to get the dead one in the roadway to get up. I called 911 but couldn't get out of the car because of the other cars and I was unsure what to do and I didn't want to scare them into the traffic plus they were large dogs (looked like pit bulls or pit mixes) without collars so I would have had no way to grab them. As I was on the side of the road on 911 trying to attract the attention of the two dogs away from the roadway the one trying to help the dead one was also hit and killed. It was so so sad. My daughter was screaming and crying and my mother was yelling at me to drive away before we were hit too. It was just awful and so sad and didn't need to happen if people would have paid attention to cars swerving and us stopped and slowed down but everyone has to be in a hurry. The only other cars to pull over by us were ones that had hit them and they were checking out their cars not the poor dogs. :evil:

I am also very angry at all of the Los Angeles law enforcement because Friday was the funeral for the four slain Oakland Police officers and Law Enforcement from all over came and at least 25 different law enforcement cars and motorcycles from LA drove through this and did nothing but swerve around it and keep on their way. They could have at least slowed the traffic until the Central Valley CHP came and captured the dogs. Had they done something, the second dog would not have been hit. After giving 911 our location I did move on so I don't know what happened to the third dog. I hope he wasn't killed as well. So sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Chutters
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Very sad, dog killed trying to help his friend

Post by Chutters »

Absolutely heartbreaking. You did what could - and I am sure that it wasn't easy.

I did that with two dogs running on a 55 mile an hour road with two lanes in each direction. I also called 911 - to no avail.

I did stop my big SUV in the right lane with my flashers on - but really couldn't do much but chase the dogs off to the right and into the bushes. I stayed around a while to make sure that they didn't come back. But even on such a small road it was tough.

I applaud your trying to do what you could.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

How awful! People just can't seem to care about anything except getting where they want to go as fast as they can. You did what you could...if only more people had that kind of caring...
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Yes, you did what you could do. I know how heart breaking it is to witness such an event.
I hope your daughter is doing ok? I have had a similar situation. It amazed me at how
people are so oblivious! With my encounter, I blocked a lane of traffic, got out of my car
to chase an old German Sheppard Dog, who looked very disoriented.
People were yelling and cursing at me, but I ignored them.
One other person stopped, it was a gentleman with a truck. He saw me trying to lift the
huge dog into my car. He ended up putting the dog in his truck and off we went to the vet.
I've had other encounters much like this, I've learned to ignore the stupid people and help
the dog.
In your case, you were traveling and away from home, there isn't a lot you can do. You tried
and that was all you could do.
Who knows, you may have helped the third to get away?
Keep your chin up, you may want to change the world, but you are outnumbered by stupid people!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!