Sad Job we had to do.

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Sad Job we had to do.

Post by Judy Fox »

Fred and I are sad. Our next door neighbour came round at lunch time very upset. Her dog Shade had collapsed and she did not know what to do.

We went back with her and it was clear that he was very poorly and needed to go to the Vet. We all knew that he was at the end of his life and Andrea was very, very upset and did not want to go and make that final decision so we took him and after examining him the Vet agreed, as we knew he would that the kindest thing would be to send him off peacefully to The Happy Hunting Ground. :(

He was an old dog of 16 and has had a lovely life. He hated fireworks and destroyed several three piece suites for Andrea. He was absolutely terrified so Andrea gave me a key and whenever fireworks were set off, one of us would grab the key and rush round to sit with him. Throughout all the years, never once has Andrea lost her temper with him or said that he must go. No dog could have been loved better and my heart goes out to her. [:D]

So go in peace now Shade, old friend and be happy and young again in The Happy Hunting Ground where every day is spring and there is no more pain. Fireworks are banned, I promise. :wink:

This is a picture of Shade and me taken last summer or maybe the summer before - I cannot remember.

(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sad Job we had to do.

Post by Mia »

I am always sorry to hear of the loss of a furry baby. My sympathies to you and your neighbors.
Mia
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

It is our turn to share these words with you "say not in grief he is no more, but in thankfulness that he was."

I will miss the Shade stories Milly and Mabel would write us when his mum would go on holiday.

Condolences to you and to Shade's mum.

He is in peace.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you Lou and Mia. You are right Lou, I told those words to Andrea when we got back from the Vet's. She rushed to the door and then realised we did not have the old boy with us.

She did smile when I told her the old Hebrew proverb. I told her tomorrow would be a bit better and I told her to try to remember the good times when he was younger and healthy and she did smile and had a little laugh, albeit through her tears. My heart just aches for her but I must commend her for her love of the old lad. Nobody could have loved a dog better and she deserves our "salutes".

I will miss the lad, as I always called him. Whatever will I do now when the fireworks start! No need to rush for the key and "hare it" round to next door.

Bless him, he has no more pain. :)
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about Shade. 16 years is a good long life, though. I'm sure your neighbor felt blessed to have him that long. He is probably most grateful to you for being such good neighbors. My deep sympathies to your neighbor.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Sad news, indeed. When I read "neighbour", I thought "fireworks".... Our deepest sympathies to you all.

Leonora & mum
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well it seems such a short while since we had to take the old lad to put him on his way. I miss him.

However, this morning, not long after I had got up, there was a knock on the door and when Fred answered it, there was a young man there with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.

They were from Andrea and she said the flowers were a thankyou for our help with Shade throughout the years and taking him to start his final journey.

We were very moved. I took them round to show her and she is so straightforwardly honest that she said she had been peeping through her curtain watching the delivery man!

Again I say, Shade was a very lucky boy to have had her as a Mum.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Well it seems such a short while since we had to take the old lad to put him on his way. I miss him.

However, this morning, not long after I had got up, there was a knock on the door and when Fred answered it, there was a young man there with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.

They were from Andrea and she said the flowers were a thankyou for our help with Shade throughout the years and taking him to start his final journey.

We were very moved. I took them round to show her and she is so straightforwardly honest that she said she had been peeping through her curtain watching the delivery man!

Again I say, Shade was a very lucky boy to have had her as a Mum.

Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Awww...beautiful!

You deserve them, I am sure that you are a wonderful neighbor, and that was sweet of her.
Mia
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

so sad to hear when a furbaby leaves us. I'm glad you and Fred were there to
offer both wisdom and comfort for your neighbor. My sympathies
go out to you guys and your neighbor.
The flowers are very nice, what a sweet gesture.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!