Chelsea: A Memorial Tribute

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

lovechows55
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chelsea: A Memorial Tribute

Post by lovechows55 »

Chelsea (aka Bonnie Chelsea of Oliver) was my first dog and my first chow. She came into my life right after my father passed away and put her little tiny paw prints on my heart the first time I held her when she was just ten days old. I also held her the very first time she opened her eyes when she was just two weeks old. I brought her home for the first time when she was just five and a half weeks old (she was one of seven puppies and her mother dog Nikko had already weaned her and couldn't handle the demands of all of her pups anymore). From that time on, we were inseparable. She was my doggie daughter, the dog I'd longed for for my entire life, and the light of my life.

Chelsea and I went through so many things together and she was there for me during a lot of life's ups and downs, including boyfriends, work pressures, and working on two college degrees while I worked full-time. We still found time to do lots of fun things together, especially travel. We went on trips together from the time she was just three months old. Her favorite places were Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach Central Park, and San Diego so a couple times a year, we travelled from Tucson to California so she could visit our friends, go on walks at the beach, and eat at her favorite doggie cafes.

In 1998, we moved to California so Chelsea became a California girl. A few months later, we met Darrell, who she immediately claimed as her daddy--though it took us bipeds a couple years to come to the same conclusion. When we finally got married in 2002, Chelsea was our canine of honor when we got married at the beach in Laguna Beach. She also came with us on our honeymoon. She stole the show and got more attention than we did (well, that's normal; she was so friendly and outgoing, she did that everywhere we went).

Chelsea, Darrell and I lived happily together for several years before she injured her hip when we were on a weekend trip in Dana Point, CA. It was on that sad Thanksgiving trip in 2005 that we discovered that she had hip dysplasia--and she had been in horrible pain for years, according to the vet, but had never let on. She'd slowed down some over the previous year or two but was usually still her bouncy, beautiful self--until she injured her hip. From that time on, our lives changed and we knew our time with her was going to be short. We both vowed to only keep her going as long as we could manage her pain--which thankfully we did for two years and a few months.

On January 18, 2008, our beloved Chelsea's hip went out and we had to let her go. Our vet came to our home and we both held her as she went to sleep. Just as I was the first person she saw when she opened her eyes for the first time, she and I were looking deeply into each other eyes during the entire time it took to administer the injection to let her go. I have never loved anyone more than I love her and there isn't a minute that goes by that I don't grieve her loss deeply. But I know that she's been released from all of her pain and that she's now back to her younger, bouncy self at the Rainbow Bridge. And I also know that the love we share still exists and that it transcends time and space. Once you're owned by a chow, you're theirs forever. To my beautiful beloved girl, Chelsea, I love you.

Barbara
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chelsea: A Memorial Tribute

Post by CoraP. »

What a beautiful story!! May Chelsea rest in peace.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Even if it's sad now that she's gone, I think you've been lucky because you've shared that big love together.... [:D]
You wrote a beautiful tribute for Chelsea...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
maggy hawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maggy hawk »

Barb, I went on your journey with you. I saw Chelsea when she was just a little black stuffed toy with big eyes. And I saw her grow, and I saw you grow with her. You were the perfect match. She even found you your mate. Chelsea was so lucky to have a mom who took care of her throughout her life, but you were lucky, too, and I was, and Darrell, too. Chelsea will always be alive in the memory of those who love her.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

What a beautiful tribute. Your words and story are brimming with your love for her. RIP Chelsea.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

you wrote a beautiful story of your lives together.I wish you many happy memories of your happy years together.
I'm sorry for your loss of Chelsea :cry:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".