Sullivan

Remember our beloved Chow Chows that have passed on.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sullivan

Post by pfordeb »

We just got back from putting Sullivan down. She had been failing the last couple days and tonight we think something popped in her hip or something because when she tried to go up stairs her back legs went limp under her and she started crying. I always told her to let us know when she was ready and she did. I gave her some pain medicine which helped a little and Forrest called OSU. While he was calling them, I had to call the parents of the kids' I'm tutoring to let them know I wouldn't be there tomorrow and call my professor. Forrest called Phil so he went with us. Obviously we are all very upset. She was Forrest's baby.

We are donating her, although the timing is bad without the doctor at OSU knowing ahead of time, I'm not sure if he will get her tumor in time. Plus with 4th of July in there, everything gets more complicated. We also made the decision on the way home to get her ashes back, but that will be the only expense.

I know most of you have been through this before, but it my first time, so I don't think I can talk about it for a while. As you may have noticed, writing helps me. Tomorrow (the 3rd) was the one year anniversary of when we found out about her cancer with a one year maximum prognosis, so she made it to that date.

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
Zhuyos mom

Re: Sullivan

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Debbie, my condolences to you and Forrest. Find peace in knowing Sullivan is romping around pain free with all our chows in the Glorious Happy Hunting Ground. I know my boy, Zhuyo, as well as, Roxana's Dakota, Victory's Darkwind, Missy's Precious, Nancy's Koda and all our lovely chows up above will be partying with Sullivan tonight toasting her love and devotion to you and Forrest.

Now you take care of yourself and tell Forrest to get some rest. Sullivan would want it that way.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thank you. I'm not going to tutoring, but I have 3 big papers dues on Monday. I going to see how I feel after I veg. out for a day. Hopefully, I can get them done over the course of the weekend.

It was very peaceful once we got her to the hospital, and we took our son, so there wouldn't have been room for the other two dogs anyway. I'm as worried about him and Forrest, none of us have been able to stop crying. I take things to help me sleep but I know Forrest won't and he's going to work tomorrow.
courtsey of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I'm so sorry to hear about Sullivan, but she let you know it was time. I heard the song by Patti Loveless this morning on my drive to work...How Can I Help You To Say Goodbye? It's never easy to say good-bye, but life's about changing, nothing ever stays the same. Wishing you healing, positive thoughts during this time of grief.

Run free dear Sullivan...you were so loved. [-o|
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Debbie,
my deepest sympathies to you and Forrest.Sullivan was quite an amazing girl.and very loved and she knew that.
please take care of yourself and we are all here for you.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I'm so sorry to hear about Sullivan.
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry, it know how hard that trip is, & how even harder it is on the trip home. My deepest sympathies.

Run free sweet Sullivan.
Thank you Elodie!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

My family and I are very sorry for your loss.
thor1loki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thor1loki »

I wrote this poem to a friend of mine, who had been in an auto accident. She is doing better now. i am sure sullivan was there for you all those years. I am sure sullivan will live in your hearts always. Your love is great, and i hope you know all of us here wish you comfort. Remember the good times,look back at photos or videos, and cherish all those things sullivan did that made you smile or laugh.
What I know.....06/27/08-Carlos A. Gutierrez
I don't know if they sell or make a ladder tall enough to reach my window,
I don't know if they sell or make a boat strong enough to sail the seas
i have swum,
I don't know if they sell or make a plane fast enough to catch me each
time i fall,
what i do know is i enjoy each day knowing i have friends like you-who
keep their windows clear, their swimming suits ready, and their helmets
on tight.
what i do know now that maybe i should have known all along is how close
we have been during my life storms,
what i do know for sure is that simple but grateful thing of your love.
I know i would be nothing and nowhere without it.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I'm really sorry for you and for Sullivan...
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I wish there were magic words to make the pain ease, but of course, there are none. My sympathies to you and all your family.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry to hear about Sullivan. It is so hard to have to make the decision for them, but you knew when she had had enough. I have gone through this and it's one of the hardest things I've ever done. Time does help the hurt, but you'll never forget her and all the good times you had. Godspeed, Sullivan.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. There is nothing harder that we go through as chow parents. And nothing more important than letting them go when it is time. Thank the lord we have the power to end their suffering. And bless you all for making that hard call. Sullivan found the family she was meant to have, the one that would care for her selflessly when she needed it most.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Here are a couple of poems that I have found comforting.

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

Last Night

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying; you found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "It's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me to be near you every day.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning
And say, "Goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

--Author Unknown
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Godspeed Sullivan...run free!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Deb,
I'm sorry to hear about Sullivan's passing. I am honored to have met beautiful Sullivan last fall. Sullivan couldn't have asked for more devoted parents. I hope you find peace in knowing she is no longer in pain. May her legacy live on in the lives of the dogs whom she aids in finding a cure or prevention for cancer.

Amanda
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thank you so much everyone. Sullivan was, indeed, extra clingy on that last day. I'm sure she knew. The house does seem empty.

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

sorry to hear about sullivan, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers and light a candle for Sullivan to find her way across the bridge. There are no other words I can offer right now.
Blessings
~ Sally
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

I too was honored to meet Sullivan and you and Forrest, I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way.

Debra, John and Milo
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks again for all your beautiful condolences. It's still hard and I have my moments, but I don't regret the decision to put her down when we did. Right now it seems to be Gilbert who is suffering the most, at least that we can tell from his behaviors. That's what I was afraid of all along. He really loved her, even though she rejected him. He's always been afraid of the dark, but now he's afraid of the evening, even when it's light. We think it's because that's when we took Sullivan away for ever. Forrest says he clings to his leg when he walks him. My poor goofy boy, we always said he was our "special needs" child. I don't know if any of us are quite ready for a new girl, but I think that might help Gilbert. Anyone else have any suggestions?
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Debbie,Gilbert needs time to grieve too,just like you and Forrest.you will know when you are ready for that special girl.
oh,and she may not be what you think,I know you start out looking for a black,aloof,dominant female but she may actually be a petite red sweet little girl.
don't let the packaging fool you :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Hey, maybe she won't be a chow :shock:

Just kidding. Though I am prejudiced toward mixes. I'm also prejudiced toward black because that color of dog is the least adopted. I MUST have a girl, there are too many male hormones in this house!
courtsey of Sweetpea
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

If you're even just a bit like me,you'll want another dog soon.Not to replace,but to make the pain a little less.
I looked at this girl when you first posted this.Maybe not the easiest dog in the world,but I bet you can handle her:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... id=8247655
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

That's funny. I've been looking at her. How could they give her a name like that, even if she is a nipper. It's Forrest I'll have to convince, but maybe Gilbert's depression will help convince him. There have been a couple chows around here (the Columbus area) that have interested me too. The house is awfully empty.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

One of my poodles was really close with our siamese cat,the two of them played all the time and slept together during the day (poodles sleep with us at night)
When he got sick two years ago,Scarlet was a mess.She was so sad that he wouldn't play with her anymore.
He wasn't in any pain,so we decided to let him live out his days (which turned out to be almost two months )until we thought he was hurting.
When that happened and we got home from the vet without Ping,Scarlet walked into the pantry where he chose to sleep most of the time since he was sick and she looked around and came out with her head hanging so low and her eyes so sad it broke my heart.
A couple of weeks before Tigger showed up at our back door,and he jumped on the couch with the poodles as soon as we decided to let him in (he simply didn't leave,he sat by the door for days,what else could we do?)
The day after Ping died,Tigger played with Scarlet for the first time since he moved in with us,and it had been weeks since I had seen Scarlet happy!
(if this convinces Forrest you owe me :D )