Sullivan Gotcha Day

Share and keep track of special events, birthdays and anniversaries for your Chow Chow.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sullivan Gotcha Day

Post by pfordeb »

I'm pretty sure Sullivan's gotcha day is sometime in the next week. In my paranoia, I'm afraid to look it up, but I think it's the 22nd (I don't know the percentage, but I've always noticed people tend to die within a month of their birthdays, so I don't know if gotcha days count). Anyway we will have had her 8 years. I just remembered, I should find out when my dad was adopted because he died 6 months before his birthday, but he was adopted, if gotcha days count (hopefully not). I'm sure no one knows though, his entire adopted family is gone, and we never met any of his birth family. Anyway, my mother's father was also adopted, but I doubt she knows anything but his birthday, and I'm an adoptive mother myself. We sort of procreate like Shakers in my family :D

But I digress ... we got Sullivan after 5 years of begging by husband by both me and our son. I was watching a telethon for the local humane society about the time I was laying down big hints and Forrest just said yes. We got there toward the end of the day, so our decision was not as hard (no puppies for one thing). Ironically, guess who picked Sullivan -- Forrest. She's always been a daddy's girl.

PS -- I've always been a nervous nellie and at the time I still had my gallbladder which kicked up its stones whenever I was nervous. So I went home and threw up after we adopted her. She had to stay a couple more days to be spayed, so that's part of why I'm mixed up on the dates. She probably should have stayed at the humane society another day or two because we tried to keep her in our laundry room behind a baby gate and she busted a stitch jumping over the gate the first night -- talk about nervous nellie, we were at the vet the next day.
courtsey of Sweetpea
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sullivan Gotcha Day

Post by TJordan »

Well she had an eventful first week didn't she. Happy Gotcha Day, (and no I don't think gotcha days count as far as your earlier story.) Althought it is weird how death happens around the B-day I have noticed that pattern as well in my research. EEERIE
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Happy Gotcha Day Sullivan and family. Great " first "story. Isn't funny how the ones who have to be begged the most always seem to be the favorite.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

Happy Gotcha Day Sullivan!
Here's to many more years to give joy and receive much love! \:D/
:x :x :x
Jennifer & Sheena
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I asked my mom but she doesn't know much about either my dad's or grandfather's adoptions. She thinks her father was adopted right away when he was born. I think my dad might have been closer to two. I have always tried to find out about my dad, just because of the medical history, since I really have only 1/4 a genetic family tree. There are lots of legends about both. My grandfather was the result of an affair between my great grandfather and a maid, and my dad was off the boat Irish, baby of 13 kids, and was given to next door neighbors when they came here. They lived in what I call the "Irish ghetto" section of Indianapolis. Poor, working Irish who came to the US to work on the railroad. That part is true because the neighborhood was still the same, even when I was an adult (I'm back to being a kid now :lol: ). Who knows about the adoptions though? Adoptions were not quite as open in the late 1890s/early 1900s. I've made lackluster attempts to find out about my father's family and even have a friend who's an attorney in Indianpolis, but I always get side-tracked. At this point in life, I'm going to die of whatever I get and my dad lived to be 81 and my mom is still alive at 79 (though those ages don't seem that old anymore).

Anyway, thanks for all the wishes about Sullivan. She's still hanging in. Her new thing is, she will only poop at the park (after I'd finally gotten her to go in our yard again). That's after my being sick for a week and having my husband in charge. He can lift her into the car to drive her to the park, I can't, and it's too far for her to walk now. Oh well, her personality and ability to outsmart is still definitely in tact.
courtsey of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Happy, happy gotcha day Sullivan!! Great big hugs to you sweet girl!

Hang in there Deb, big hugs for you too!!
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Hey "Chowfrnd." Did you get an answer to your PM? Not that I'm not always out of it, but being really sick for a week isn't helping, but I think I deleted my reply. Anyway -- just in case --- Sullivan's "birthday" (made up based on her age) is June 9. Her gotcha day is sometime this week (like the 22nd). Good memory.
courtsey of Sweetpea
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Happy Gotcha Day Sullivan!! That is something to celebrate!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Happy Gottcha Day Sweet Sullivan!!! HUGS Debbie [:D] Hope you two have a nice Gottcha Dad Celebration :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks everyone. Vicki made a good Freudian slip -- she said Gotcha Dad :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's about right.
courtsey of Sweetpea
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL Deb!!! :oops: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

A belated Happy Gotcha Day Sullivan!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Happy belated gotcha day

David
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Happy Gotcha Day, Sullivan! \:D/
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

LOL Deb, yes it says you deleted your reply! :D But I see the dates here now, thanks! :D :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea