Toby Earns His AKC CH Designation

Share and keep track of special events, birthdays and anniversaries for your Chow Chow.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Toby Earns His AKC CH Designation

Post by Rory's Dad »

Very happy to share that Toby, my 16 month old Smooth Chow earned his CH designation this past weekend with a Best of Winners result for a 3 point Major.

He has been a ton of fun to show and it was nice to accomplish in such a short period of time (less than a year). Due to limited entries, it took my Rough Chow (Rory)2 and 1/2 years to get to the same point.

Looking forward to getting that certificate from the AKC. Now we will just have to figure out how to show both dogs in the ring at the same time.
Toby
Toby
Toby.JPG (47.74 KiB) Viewed 12941 times
Rory
Rory
Rory.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 12941 times
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Toby Earns His AKC CH Designation

Post by Laura »

Congrats Mr. Toby!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Way to go Team Toby!!! I think the reason it took less time is because you did it once and learned a lot the first time. Plus finding great friends in Tony and Sharon really help. But finishing a smooth chow, I think is a great accomplishment. Toby must be really nice because without all the fur, there is no hiding any imperfections. Maybe there will be a smooth at Westminster next year? Hint, hint...

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thanks Cindy. Toby is super excited about his win...or maybe he's just super excited that Amber is in heat. Hard to tell the difference...lol.

612...a lot of the difference was definitely having the support of Tony and Sharon. A lot of Rory's entries were with no competition. This past year we were lucky enough to have a good number of dogs showing. That has been a big focus of the NECCBA. It just wasn't happening with New England Chows. Hopefully we get the AKC approval soon. I know we have a number of supporters from the National club.

That aside, Toby really does show well and is a great example within the breed. I know I am prejudiced to some degree, but he really is a nice Chow. His brother will begin showing soon, and I think the show folks will be taking notice...he is exceptional. He already has been busy producing some pups, and 1 just went to Cross B. Going to be an interesting year for sure.

I will show both dogs on a limited schedule. We should be able to build majors for the boys this year, as last year it was all bitches. With two CH dogs in my own house the comp wins needed for GCH should be easier. Toby's sire is going to show a bit more as well, so we should have majors with just the male specials. I suspect the new year counts are going to go down for Chow dogs. Bitches might go up.

And, on a very special note...Amber didn't finish last among the girls...lol. She was an absolute handful but I got her through with a difficult judge. So kudos to me.

And yes, we are eyeing Westminster for Toby. Will wait and see who the judges will be. Judges who are accepting of Smooth's can be hard to find, but if the judge assignment is right, then I think we will do it.
Mother Moose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mother Moose »

Congrats Toby!!! Rory's dad, you must be one proud papa. :)
Kudos - I don't know how you manage to keep all three of them looking so sharp and showing them on top. I have a hard time with just one. hahaha
chunkymonkeys
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chunkymonkeys »

Congratulations! Toby is one handsome guy; you must be very proud of your Chow Crew!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Thank you both Mother Moose and ChunkyMonkeys for your replies.

And yes Mother, its a lot of work with the 3 of them, but for the most part they really enjoy the whole concept. Amber, my female is an exception, she likes to travel with the boys, but isn't a fan of the whole washing regimen. She does like getting brushed out and dolled up, but hates the tub. The boys are great with the whole process. I wouldn't push the show circuit on them if they didn't seem to like it. Rory (4 year old male), absolutely loves it. He's a ham at heart and really gets into the entire weekend. Sounds odd, but you really can see him get worked up for show days. Toby (16 month old male) doesn't get quite so excited but he likes to meet new people. So when a judge approaches him he puts on the charm.

This past weekend was difficult. Three dogs to get ready to show, and after bathing Toby my dryer decided to not cooperate. Not good. Toby is a smooth chow, and he was 1st up for grooming. Usually about an hour drying him with a pro-grade pet dryer. Had to resort to the wife's hair dryer. Rory is a rough coat, and that can be up to 4 hours with a crate dryer. Had to skip a full bath with him and did a lot of brushing with a spray in conditioner. He never would have bee dry with a house dryer, and it was about 20 degrees outside, so he wouldn't have been able to go out for about 2 days without risking him getting sick. And then Amber started her Heat the night before. She hates being touched when in early heat. Got her doused and started the shampoo when she decided enough. Barely got her rinsed off, not all the shampoo out. I have to say, since it was just the next day the shampoo left a nice shine to her coat. Any longer and the judge would have seen a handful of shampoo flake.

Yes, I am very proud of my crew. Rory is a bit more than 1/2 way to achieving a GCH status. Toby finished to CH in just under 8 months with limited shows. Aside from that, they are great home dogs. Personalities are wonderful and man, they are fun. Rory is the elder statesman that you would expect out of a chow, dignified and reserved. Toby is a goof, smooths tend to be that way.
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Rory's Dad,
Did you get a winning photo? Would love to see if you did and want to share it.

Brutus
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

I am so very excited for you! I feel the Westminster vibe in TOBY!
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes 612, we did get the win photo. It had been a long weekend and we were trying to get out of there, but Tony and a few other handlers really pushed us to do it. The judge had assignments for another two hours, but they convinced us to do it without the judge. So, no disrespect intended, but we really had to get packed up and headed back home.
Toby's New CH Photos
Toby's New CH Photos
Toby New CH Pic0001 (647x800) (518x640).jpg (226.72 KiB) Viewed 12838 times
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Very, Very NICE! I do not blame you on getting the picture without the judge (no disrespect intended). When we travel long periods, we often scoot out as soon as possible on Sunday's. We have even missed a couple group rings because we just HAD TO GO!

I was wondering about the joys and pains of getting multiple dogs ready for the ring. I am planning on getting a female puppy in the near future. I may have to train one of my nieces to hold a dog ring side (and handle one of the dogs on occasion). It is the pre-ring grooming for multiple chows that I was wondering about.

What are your boys' AKC names. I would love to follow them...
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 612guy »

Love the picture!!!! Never thought about taking a win photo without the judge. Everyone looks great and I bet as time goes by it may turn out to be one of your favorites. Thanks for sharing.

Brutus
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

LOL 612, neither did I. That was Tony and about 20 of his pro-handler friends that suggested that. I seriously was ready to just load the truck and head out of the show. I actually felt pressured to do it, since I am not a fan of having my own photo taken. Since my daughter co-handled him to the CH win, I gave in a bit...Tony may actually be a bully...lol.

Cindy, its really a lot easier with one of them being a smooth. I bath him the night before and then just run a comb over him before ring. Rory is a bunch more work, and Amber is always a disaster. So I plan ahead with her, and sadly she is the afterthought. If I had two roughs that I was trying to have win it would be tough.

So, Toby is Royal Red Sky At Night Smooth Delight. And Rory is Eastway's Ruaidrhi of Mansfield.