NC Chow Rescue

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolinachows
Rank 0
Rank 0

NC Chow Rescue

Post by carolinachows »

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce my self. I am part of a small foster home rescue network. I am the Chow foster for the group. We rescue 'other' breeds, including cats, but not 'all' breeds. I have been involved with rescue for 8 years. The 1st 3 years were with the local humane society. It was during that time that I realized that no rescues in my area were taking in Chows. When 3 Chows were abandoned by their owner and were headed for the kill shelter, I stepped in, rescued and re-homed them. I should mention here that my current Chow, Sheena, is 13 and she is my 3rd rescued Chow in 30 years. So rescuing those 3 were not a big deal for me. When I brought them home, my husband said "You're Chow happy now!" So started my Chow rescue efforts.

I foster 2-4 Chows at a time and as long as they do not have major temperament or health issues, I keep them until they are adopted. Often, this is a year or more. It is important to me to re-home an even tempered, well-adjusted, healthy dog. Chows have enough stigma associated with them and people ALWAYS remember the bad Chows. I strive to help and re-home ambassadors for the breed. My vet comments often about 'how nice Paula's Chows are'.

Because I am a limited entry foster home, unfortunatly, I have to turned down Chows often. :cry: I have learned over the years what my limits are and am committed to staying within them. I also work full time, have a husband, 2 children (18 and 13) + my pets. Fostering homeless Chows is a labor of love for me. References available.

Please see our Petfinder page for more info. on our rescue efforts, adoption requirements, and pets available.

Yours in rescue,
Paula Paye
http://www.penderanimalrescue.petfinder.com
Last edited by carolinachows on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: NC Chow Rescue

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Hi Paula,

How wonderful! Be sure to post any of your fosters in the Chow Chows That Need a Home section to give them more exposure.
ImageImageImage
JEANNIEHOP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JEANNIEHOP »

Please help-there is a beautiful 1 yr old full Chow Chow at the Fairfield Animal Shelter in Fairfield SC. Her name is Dina. She will be euthanized this week if she does not get a foster home or real home. I was going to take her but have found out my condo complex will not allow it. The person I spoke to said she has a wonderful temperment. She is on petfinder.com.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Hi
Yes, Dina is still there but is being picked up on Thursday for Pets Inc. In Columbia. She will go up for adoption with them then.

Janice
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Hi Paula,
Might you have any suggestions for John and his two Chows? http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13793
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Chris&mandy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chris&mandy »

Hey.... My name is chris and me and my gf mandy is looking for a chow pup.. We might take an dog older than a pup but I don't want one too old.. We live in Ramseur N.C. You can email me at chris_finley2001@yahoo.com if you get or hear about any chow's in north carolina..
chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

Keep me in your files, too, Paula. Mal'akhi is coming along well :D
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Candycat21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Candycat21 »

Hi All,

I just posted an ad about an 11yr old chow mix I have that needs a home asap. Her owners were going to have her euthanized for no reason...headed on vacation overseas for 3 weeks was their excuse amoung others. We are located in Charlotte NC
Anyway, she is currently staying with me, but I cannot keep her much longer! She is very sweet. Gets along wonderfully with kids of all ages, but does need a little more socialization with other dogs as she is not used to living with any...she does mingle, but tries to dominate them...a home with no other dogs or an experienced owner who knows how to correct dominance behaviours would be best. She does have an ear infection and flaky skin, but is on medications for both which should hopefully clear up in the next few weeks.
I am desperate to place this girl! I don't know who to ask and I cannot take her to the shelter...she would be the 1st to be euthanized :(
Any help you may be able to throw my way I'd greatly appreciate!

Kindest Regards
Candice
Attachments
Osa_2.JPG
Osa_2.JPG (67.77 KiB) Viewed 26430 times
Osa_1.JPG
Osa_1.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 26422 times
jpwhite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jpwhite »

Hello all,
My name is Jamie White. I've recently acquired a very sweet and loving little female chow who was abandoned by an elderly gentleman who has been rendered unable to care for her anymore. She's very obedient, well-behaved and a real joy to have around the house. However, I am a nursing student who doesn't have the time required to care for her properly. She's great with other dogs and all the people I've introduced her to. If I can't find her a loving home before school starts back next week, I'll have to take her to the pound. PLEASE HELP. She's a really great dog. She's small, reddish-blonde, and very happy, always wagging her tail and following me around my house. I DONT want to see her sitting in a small cage in a shelter, or worse. Please help.
Thanks,
jpwhite@uncg.edu
336-404-0664
mbrwatson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mbrwatson »

My wife brought home an abandoned 12 week old black female chow. She is sweet (the pup moreso than the wife). :)

She's staying inside right now. She seems to be great with my two young sons (5 and 3), and she knows her place with my older dog.

We've started crate training her, which she is taking to very well. She's only had two accidents in the house--which of course were as much our fault as hers.

She's starting to chew and is beginning to prefer the chew toys that we are providing. She seems to be quite trainable and is learning to walk on a leash.

I'm certain that she'll make a wonderful pet for someone. We don't want to keep her because our older dog is entering the "health problem" phase of his senior years. He has already had surgery on one knee and the other needs surgery badly. His spirit wants to play, but his body isn't holding up. The last thing he needs right now is a puppy enticing him to run and jump around.

We are in the Charlotte area. I can provide pictures for anyone interested. It should go without saying, but, "Good homes only."

email for more info...I probably won't check this forum as often as I will my email

mbrwatson@gmail.com
all4gracie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by all4gracie »

I have a female Chow abandoned by a Rescue Group in NC and is on the "put down" list. She is heartworm positive and aggressive with people she doesn't trust. I can foster her if I can get some help to find her a home. Please email me if you can help in any way. Thanks!

onebual@hotmail.com
Attachments
lll.jpg
lll.jpg (172.58 KiB) Viewed 25620 times
SadChowChowMommy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SadChowChowMommy »

Hi. I am currently located in Stokes County. I have 2 chow chow mixes. I recently moved to my current home. There is a fence here, and I investigated the fence to try to find weaknesses, yet no matter how hard I looked, my dogs have found weaknesses that I did not. They got out a couple of weeks ago and are suspected of killing a couple of neighborhood cats, and animal control informed me that if they got out again, they would be taken in. Well, it's been raining here like crazy for the past several days, and that rain created another weakness, and my dogs got out again today for about 10 minutes, which was long enough for a cat owner to notice and call animal control, so I will be officially losing my dogs tomorrow. I'm not sure how the rescues work, but I just wanted to beg, if there is a rescue not too far from Stokes County, there will be two mixes at the animal control office/shelter.

One is a chow chow/shepherd mix. She's 5.5 years old. She wasn't overly socialized - she was my first dog as an adult, and I didn't realize the additional benefits, ie socialization, to outside obedience training, so I trained her myself. She's an absolutely wonderful dog. She's orange with a blond tail and a brown muzzle. She's somewhere between 45 and 55 pounds. Her name is Lily. She is an outside dog and has never been exposed to children. And I've recently discovered she's a digger.

The other is an unknown mix of chow chow, although I strongly suspect Caucasian Ovcharka. He looks more like an ovcharka than a chow, except he's smaller than one at only about 100-110 pounds. His name is Geronimo, but I've always called him Mo (or Mo-mo). He's 3.5, although due to hip problems, he's aging extremely fast and already has a lot of white in his muzzle. He is dark brown and black. He's a giant teddy bear but doesn't realize his size. The most vicious thing about him is his tongue - he loves to give kisses!! After having realized the benefits of outside obedience training, I put him through puppy training at PetSmart, so he's been more socialized. He's a sweet dog, although he's not as bright as Lily. He is also an outside dog and has never been exposed to children. And now that he's currently staked out waiting to be picked up, I'm discovering that he's a barker when tied up.

Again, I need to point out that they've been accused of killing cats, and if it's true, I'm not sure which one of them it would be, so I would probably label both of them as "for non-cat homes only".

I know the stigma of chow chow dogs, and I'm terrified that they'll be put down if they go through the regular shelter process. I realize that I raised them to be wonderful dogs for me and probably won't be the best dogs for families, but if there is a farm or something (without cats), they'd probably be great there. If you know of any rescue groups that are in the Stokes County area, could you please pass this information on so that these two sweet and loving dogs won't be put down for being curious about a new neighborhood?

Thank you so much...
doglover19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doglover19 »

Can someone please help me we rescued a chow mix that was abandoned. Got its shots up-to-date and he is getting fixed tomorrow. Need to find a home? Any ideas...He is 2 years old so says the vet! Great with people, very loving and affectionate but not liking our female 4 month old shipoo. Help???
katielrandall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katielrandall »

In the Fayetteville area. Looking for a young,preferably, female to grow up with our boys. We have had 2 chows in the past. My husband raised both from pups and they both lived to be 16! Its been 4 years since our male passed from cancer and we still feel a void. We have 3 little boys (4, 2 and 6 months) also 2 cats (11 & 7). Needs to be friendly to all of the above! I can be contacted at katie.l.randall@gmail.com Thank you!
dolphinlover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dolphinlover »

Hello all,
I would love to be thought of and put on a contact list of some sort when there are chows rescued. I have only had chows since my oldest daughter was born and think they are the most well mannered and tempered dog. My beautiful Ariel just past away, there was no way to save her. In which my oldest granddaughter asks everyday when we can get a new baby lion. This would be an amazing help if I could find one, not only for their company but to help my granddaughter cope with the loss. I would prefer a 12 month old or less.

Thank you,
Carolyn
firedolphin58@yahoo.com
lcm95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lcm95 »

Hey y’all! So, my sister recently fostered and adopted a nine year old chow mix who was originally advertised to her as a golden retriever mix. When she sent me pictures, it was immediately apparent that this dog had more than a little chow in him. He was precious as can be, but I warned her to ask about his breed in case she ran into problems with housing later because of the breed’s reputation. She asked, and the woman told her that yes, he was part chow, but that they advertised him as a golden mix because it would be harder to adopt out a breed with aggressive stereotypes. My sister went on to ask if he showed any aggressive tendencies, and the woman assured her that those were all stereotypes and that the dog was fine. And he was, but almost immediately had issues with men, especially men who approached him while he was between the man and my sister. My sister and I grew up with dogs, so she knew this wasn’t abnormal or necessarily dangerous behavior; she knew she just needed to be aware of it and help him learn that strangers are OK, and she was willing to put in the time to make both the dog and her guests comfortable with each other. This was going great until the dog was startled by an improper introduction and bit the person he was meeting. Because of her adoption contract, my sister had to call animal control and surrender the dog. He is now on quarantine until this Friday, at which point he will be “released”, and most likely put on the euthanasia schedule because the animal shelter cannot adopt out dogs with a bite history. I am trying to find a chow rescue in North Carolina or the surrounding states who would take this dog and his sister to a place where they can be properly rehabbed and socialized and find loving new homes who are accustomed to handling this special breed. He is currently located at Orange County Animal Services in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.