Any Rescue Groups in or around Tucson AZ

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

charlotte
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any Rescue Groups in or around Tucson AZ

Post by charlotte »

Hello All,

I currently am a Volunteer at PACC (Pima Animal Care Center)in Tucson Arizona and with Petfinder taking photos.

On Wednesday last there was a Chow (probably mix) at the Shelter. He is too much Chow to be able to "fudge" his kennel card. And he is very timid. He actually escaped and I was the only person he trusted to place a collar on him. He broke my heart...I would take him myself but I have 3 dogs at home now. I am afraid the shelter will not push for his placement.

I have checked with local Rescue groups and no one knows of a Chow Chow Rescue here.

Does anyone know of a Rescue in this area that would take him or someone that Fosters Chow Chows.

Thank you for your help.

Charlotte
sunshine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Also looking for Help in AZ

Post by sunshine »

I have a Chow mix (Lab possibly?), Alex, that I rescued a few years ago from the desert. He was abandoned for a week that I know of... We were not even looking for a dog and tried desperately to foster care for him and find him a home, but he won our hearts. We decided to keep him and for the first year it was a HUGE challenge. However, we worked with him, despite knowing we would soon have children. He was unpredictable and that is our only complaint. He is an absolutely wonderful dog in every other way. Since he is a mix, he is so playful and loving. But once in a while he will surprise us and snip and almost bite someone who approaches him (child/adult).

So, we have no choice now as we have 6 mo old twin boys that are soon to be crawling. He just today snipped at a little boy that was trying to hug him...He wanted to bite him but luckly, my husband was holding him by the collar.

We are planning on uthinization becuase he did a few years ago bite our neighbor (it was deserving) but he didn't break skin, so we kept him.

Looking for a last resort for Alex, before we have to put him down. Looking for a good home possibly where he could be loved by adults in a 'guard dog' situaiton with a large yard.
sunshine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Also looking for Help in AZ

Post by sunshine »

I have a Chow mix (Lab possibly?), Alex, that I rescued a few years ago from the desert. He was abandoned for a week that I know of... We were not even looking for a dog and tried desperately to foster care for him and find him a home, but he won our hearts. We decided to keep him and for the first year it was a HUGE challenge. However, we worked with him, despite knowing we would soon have children. He was unpredictable and that is our only complaint. He is an absolutely wonderful dog in every other way. Since he is a mix, he is so playful and loving. But once in a while he will surprise us and snip and almost bite someone who approaches him (child/adult).

So, we have no choice now as we have 6 mo old twin boys that are soon to be crawling. He just today snipped at a little boy that was trying to hug him...He wanted to bite him but luckly, my husband was holding him by the collar.

We are planning on uthinization becuase he did a few years ago bite our neighbor (it was deserving) but he didn't break skin, so we kept him.

Looking for a last resort for Alex, before we have to put him down. Looking for a good home possibly where he could be loved by adults in a 'guard dog' situaiton with a large yard.
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

mybabysebastian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Any Rescue Groups in or around Tucson AZ

Post by mybabysebastian »

To Anyone looking for loving respite for Chows in Arizona.... my Sebastian is very docile, however he IS the alpha. But he is elderly. I would be more than happy to foster "kids" so that they may be well loved. His companion passed about 3 years ago and has missed him since. He is very open to new faces. And so am I!

Nicole