Sweet but skiddish 3-yr-old chow needs a new home!!

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow Lover in GA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sweet but skiddish 3-yr-old chow needs a new home!!

Post by Chow Lover in GA »

I have a chow name Jasper whom I ADORE. He was my first dog and I've had him for almost 3 years. I rescued him when he was about 5 months old. He is small-ish b/c he is part borber collie (approx. 45 lbs.) He has always had some fearful aggression issues. Once in a while (when he feels nervous or when you try to make him do something he doesn't want to do) he snarls and bears his teeth... for example, he usually acts terribly while being man-handled at the vet. However, I've spent at least $2000 on behavior modification training/treatment. And he truly is a total cuddly, sweetheart -- just ask his pet sitter! He is up-to-date on all shots, etc.

I would never give him up except that I am about to marry a man with a 2-year-old son. Jasper loves my fiance. And we would love to keep him but I think it would be very irresponsible to keep him with a young child around.

Please let me know if you have any advice.
:cry:
[/img]
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Be gentle, everyone.
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

I would advise you get a chow specific trainer there are some in your area. I know I live in GA as well. Chow with agressive issues (that needs to be corrected) and children can get along with work with the right trainer. Forget everyone you have used. They must be experienced with chows. Ask around. They must be using the positive reinforment training. And they must train you as well. And inform you of how to introduce your chow and the child. There are ways to make sure that he will understand that a child is higher ranking than him. For example, let the child be the one that gives him his food. It teaches him that he is in control of whether he eats or not. Also, get refrences---call them make sure they have good experience with chows.
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
mytwodoxies
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mytwodoxies »

There are ways to "blend families."
And children grow up and won't be 2 forever.
And like Angie says, its a family effort not just about the dog. (and also it helps to teach children the dog is not a ragdoll or trampoline).

This will be win-win-win. The child will grow into a teen and adult who has a deep respect for animals and know how to help them. (and it will also help you bond with the child - you may know the two year old but it will help you bond into a family unit) Its win for you because you get to keep the dog you love and its a win for the dog. Dogs with issues are harder to place. A kind soul may take them on but if they cannot handle the dog - sometimes they end up in a third home. So the dog is insured a good life with you versus an unknown life.
Yvonne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yvonne »

Excellent answer.

Mytwodoxies, you're very good at this!

Maybe you need to jump in on our "I might have to give my chow away posts".

Chowlover in GA, it sounds like you think giving Jasper away is your only option. I don't think that's necessarily true. You obviously love him very much. Maybe you and your fiance could check out some of the resources together.
RedAngie mentioned some, and there's many resources mentioned in other threads on this forum. Just search on "aggression" or threads dealing with chows and children. Ask your fiance to join you in the research, you might be surprised at how supportive he will be if he knows how much you want to keep Jasper.

Let us know what happens.

Yvonne and Brandon