I want to rescue Senior Chow Girl but need help with $

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

I want to rescue Senior Chow Girl but need help with $

Post by nicole »

Hello all, I fell in love with this dog at the North Central Animal Shelter, this is the link to her picture/ info:
http://www.petharbor.com/pet.asp?uaid=LACT4.A1433834
On the site it says she is 10, but I went to meet her and they said she was 13 because her bday is listed as 2000. Then at the desk they said 10, so maybe they don't know. She looked like she was beginning to get glaucoma ( a little bit of greying in the eyes.)
She was an owner surrender, owner passed away and in laws could not keep her. She is matted and has fly strike scars on her ears, but other than that they think she is in good health. She is incredibly sweet. I have visited her twice and am going back after sending this message. My last dog was a chow/ rott mix named Bear that I had from when he was a young pup until he passed when he was 11, about 6 years ago. I have not wanted another dog since, but I felt instantly connected with this little lady. The problem: I am underemployed, no savings and emergency credit cards are maxed.
DILIGENTLY job searching!
I am a freelance animator/ teaching artist. I do have prospects on the horizon, but she has been there since 10/25/13 and is on the short list for being put down. Can anyone help me spring her? It is $83, she is discounted from their usual $122 because she has been there so long. She needs a one time grooming which I found a place that will do it for $35. If anyone can help in anyway I would and she would much appreciate it. She is beautiful and sweet. Thank you so much for any help. Here is their address info, and if you follow that link you can see her picture.
North Central Animal Care and Control Center
www.laanimalservices.com
3201 Lacy Street
Los Angeles, CA 90031
Voice: (888) 452-7381 Fax: (213) 847-0555
nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: I want to rescue Senior Chow Girl but need help with $

Post by nicole »

Hi All!

I just wanted to update everyone that I got her out today! With help from a Rescue Organization out here in LA. She is actually 10, some of her paper work said she was 13. She still needs groomed, but I want to give her a break for a day or two. Can't wait to get her cleaned up though. We are bonding, she is very gentle. I think she is maybe a Chow/ Terrier mix? She is petite and her tounge is pink and blue splotched. I saw a volunteer at the shelter before I left and she was so happy I adopted her, she said she was the sweetest creature and evidently she was in very bad shape when she came in. Her front teeth are worn down and she has all this scarring on her ears from "fly strikes." Anyway I am going to take her to a vet this week to make sure everything is A-ok. I am so happy.
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chow4life »

Nicole
Thank goodness you got her. I was so worried about what the outcome might be, and thanks for not giving up on her. Hopefully the rest of her days will be the best. She deserves it. Be sure to keep us updated and let us know what you name her. Take care
nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicole »

Thanks so much for your response! She is an amazing dog! She is so sweet and well mannered. I am so lucky she found me. :) right now I am keeping her old name because I am worried that she might not get used to a new one since she is 10. So her name is Sunyi, but I also call sweet face, angel, mama, little bear, little ewok. LOL. But anyway she is awesome and I am so glad she is in my life.
Thanks again for writing!
nicole
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nicole »

PS Her blood work (thanks to Adopt-A-ChowLA.org and Pet Care Veterinary Center (a not for profit vet on Slausson) said she is healthy. I am taking her back there tomorrow for dental, they have a free dental check up all month long for rescued seniors.