Male Chow (adopted 8/25)- San Francisco CA

For people/groups offering Chow Chow rescue and help.

Moderator: chowadmin

Loup Garou Rescue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Male Chow (adopted 8/25)- San Francisco CA

Post by Loup Garou Rescue »

He came from a rural shelter in Central California... A chow with no name! He scared the shelter man there with one little grrr and was put on the list the be euthanized. Reason: aggressive! Loup Garou Animal Rescue had arranged for transport of three little black dogs at that same shelter. In passing, the shelter worker assigned to our rescue mentioned they had a "red lined" (to be euthanized if not pulled by today) black, stray chow. Wouldn't you know it, LGR's founder's soft spot are CHOW CHOWS and he hopped into the car with the little black doggies!

Loup Garou Animal Rescue is happy to introduce to you... MANFRED...named after a favorite childhood Mastiff, and nicknamed, Manny, after the prize winning boxer Emmanuel Pacquio!

Manny is a very sweet chow boy, estimated to be under 5 years of age. He is fully vetted, neutered and as you see on the picture below, is good at the groomers and at the vet.

He is very good with cats and other dogs. Although he enjoys his walks, he prefers to be an indoor chow, lazing the day away thinking sweet thoughts. Manny sounds too good to be true, right?! Well, he does suffer a severe case of Separation Anxiety. However, we are trying what we can to help him through whatever trauma led to his condition. Ideally, we would like his forever home to be with a patient, chow savvy family, where at least one of his new guardians, or a family member, would be a stay at home partner. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, or know someone who lives in the area, and looking for a lifelong chow companion, please contact us!

Last edited by Loup Garou Rescue on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loup Garou Animal Rescue, a rescue partner of NORTHERN CALIFORNIA FAMILY DOG RESCUE, is a 501(c)3 registered non-profit organization, dedicated to the rescue & rehoming of black and dark coated companion animals in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Male Chow needs a home - San Francisco CA

Post by Bearsmom »

Beauty Boy...I would love to share this on FB...is there a link to this story somehow? He reminds me so much of my Bear II...the story and his look...I wish I could help...I work all day though...

Let me know what I can do...

love and hugs for rescuing this lovely soul...xoxox
allisone
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Can you post this on Facebook so that we can share and spread the word?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I have been fostering Mr. Manny Manfred for about a month or so. I can describe him with probably 100 different words and aggressive sure wouldn't be one of them. Sometimes I have to wonder about the shelters. Manfred meets new people everyday and does just fine. He met some young children last weekend who were all over him and he responded with kisses. He even met a 10 month old baby and gave her kisses too. He isn't interested in my other dogs or the cat here at all and goes out of his way to avoid any conflicts with them. He loves a routine and does a happy dance when he knows what is going to happen next. And in typical chow fashion, he can be very stubborn and loves to get his own way. He is a perfect chow except he always wants to be with a person. Oh and he loves going with us in the car. He does so well with the car that I actually wonder if he previously may have belonged to a trucker.
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

Hey you guys...I miss my Bear II so much and Manny sounds like he would fit in here so well...what do you think? I would need help getting him here...and he would have to get used to doing his job of guarding the house while I'm away during the day...do you think its out of the question? I keep coming back here to check on him for some reason...even if we have to wait a few more weeks for the weather to cool down for transport. PM me if you wanna talk about this further...xoxoxo a.
Loup Garou Rescue
Rank 0
Rank 0

We apologize for not responding to these posts. We have had some unforseen circumstances occur these past couple of weeks (deaths of family members).
Bearsmom wrote: do you think its out of the question?
Yes. It is out of the question. We are a small, local rescue and for many, many reasons will only adopt out to homes in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you for your interest.
Loup Garou Animal Rescue, a rescue partner of NORTHERN CALIFORNIA FAMILY DOG RESCUE, is a 501(c)3 registered non-profit organization, dedicated to the rescue & rehoming of black and dark coated companion animals in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Loup Garou Rescue
Rank 0
Rank 0

Manny is now ASLAN! He was adopted last week!
Attachments
Manny now Aslan.jpg
Manny now Aslan.jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 11646 times
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bearsmom »

Yayeeeeeee! Hope they are chow chow people! Aslan deserves the best! xoxox
Zhuyos mom

Re: Male Chow (adopted 8/25)- San Francisco CA

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Bearsmom,

There is a chow in Maine who needs a home. He looks wonderful. Here is the link to his info and pictures.

http://k-9solutionsdogtraininginc.blogs ... html#links
Bearsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Male Chow (adopted 8/25)- San Francisco CA

Post by Bearsmom »

Yes...Thank you, I talked to them. My home is not a good fit for that particular chow -- I'm still looking for the "right fit" -- a senior chow without major health issues seems to feel right...kinda like his or her new mom...

I have two tie outs that I used with BearII when he wanted to be outside as I do not have an enclosed yard. Both are right outside my doors, and chow-like, BearII always lay right near the doors so I could see him and respond when he wanted change, and he to me. He wanted to keep an eye on me too. The tie outs were unacceptable to this owner, associating them with "back yard breeders" and neglect, far from the situation here. Tie outs are only bad if the dog is ignored and neglected, something my furkin never are. Living alone and working at home as I do, my furkin are a part of my family and treated as such. Their happiness and health is akin to my own.

The tie out had to be used with BearII who loved to be outside in all weather except when it rained or snowed heavily when he wanted IN -- because he came with a bite history and needed to be under my control at all times. He was trained out of that, and in his last year, I could let him out without the tie out and he would stick around, guarding the perimeters and not wandering. This owner was fearful that I would let the dog run free and he would get shot by hunters. LOL. I'm afraid I just let it go when I heard that. Obviously, we weren't communicating.

Chow Chows are incredibly smart and special Beings..."dog" seems such a small word compared with their intelligence, independence of decision making, and need to be a useful part of the pack. Persuading a chow chow to adapt behavior that is in their best interests can be very humorous at times, as they figure out ways to do something else before they decide it is. BearII was like that...but he was testing me, and with consistency and ever increasing trust and love, he turned out to be a purfek furkin... we were so tuned in to one another.

So - if a chow chow knows he is not being neglected or ignored on a tie out, he's fine with it. BearII and I had many fine adventures walking the trails and exploring the very rural area I live in, and to this day, it pains me to go on these same trails without him. Its heart wrenching.

Anyway... one does the best one can, and with love and compassion, a chow chow with behavior issues comes to realize they are safe, loved, and have a place no one can or will take away from them. And then they are HOME.

Calling me new furkin...:)