Wilbur's 1st day home alone

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Wilbur's 1st day home alone

Post by Rowlee »

I went back to work Monday after a month off being sick. Wilbur has not spent one full day at home alone since we've had him due to both Steve and I taking holidays for the first 2 months we had him and then, as I said, me being home sick for 4 weeks. Steve is a shift worker so Wilbur will never have to spend many days at home alone because obviously quite often when I am at work, Steve is at home and vice versa.

So today is his 1st day at home alone and I'm worried!! I'll give him his kong before I leave about 8.20am and he can go in and outside as he pleases. I am going to leave the fans on for him inside because it's going to be quite hot today. Should I leave the tv on too?

Luckily I only work down the road from our house so I will be coming home to give him his "lunch" and check on him about 12pm. Then I'll be home just after 4.30pm. Why do I feel sooooo mean having to leave him?? :cry:

Sabina

Photo of Wilbur taken last week

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Will you be crating him?
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wilbur's 1st day home alone

Post by Coco Chow »

Rowlee wrote: Why do I feel sooooo mean having to leave him?? :cry:
With those wonderful eyes looking at you... how could you leave home peacefully?? :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Auddymay wrote:Will you be crating him?
No Auddymay, he doesn't have a crate. I'll just shut all the doors to confine him to the family/living room, kitchen area. He can't get into too much trouble in there.

I think I'd better give up work and just stay home, there is nothing else for it :lol: :lol: Don't think Steve would be too happy with that though - someone has to pay for the very expensive little chow!!

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

stay at home mom
maternity benefits? aren't they for 6 months at home with the baby?
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I wouldn't crate him with no one at home thats just asking for trouble, If you have a room with access to the yard leave him in there with a TV on thats what I do. For 10 years I never left Pekoe alone at home but the past few months I have. I fenced off half the yard so that she has access from my room, leave the TV on just some back ground noise and she has no problem. The first few days I left her after her being with me all the time I worried about her so much I couldn't get anything done but now it looks like she prefers to stay home, If I say you want to come with me she heads for the bedroom so I say I will be back later she's fine, she's thinking good ridden's take your time.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I keep telling hubby that I need to stay home and be a full time mom but he isn't buying it. :roll:
I hate leaving mine and I actually get up earlier then I need to so that they get some playtime outside and in before I head to work. I feel too guilty if I get up, get ready and go. Miss Chloe britches still has to be confined because I don't trust her not to potty in the house if I left her out so it's even more gut wrenching to have to lock her up right after she wakes up. :cry:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Being still a pup, crates are actually safer than most rooms. If you have a 'chowling safe' room, all the better!

Jeff, do you ever run into people Peks likes instantly (and better than you?) I have one friend that Lily instantly liked when she first met him. I thought to myself that had she met me as an adult chow, she would not have taken to me like that!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Auddymay wrote:Being still a pup, crates are actually safer than most rooms. If you have a 'chowling safe' room, all the better!
Yes, Auddymay he is in a "chowling safe" room. I "Wilbur proofed" it before I left for work this morning. I'm much happier knowing he can come inside and out into the yard as he pleases.
I wouldn't crate him with no one at home thats just asking for trouble, If you have a room with access to the yard leave him in there with a TV on thats what I do
Jeff, thanks for that. Have left him in the family/living room, kitchen area where he can access the yard. The fans are on & have left the tv on. Have given him his Kong and when I said goodbye to him he didn't even notice I was going, too interested in trying to get the peanut butter out of his Kong :lol: Am going home in 3 hours to give him his bone, make sure he's okay etc (might even manage to make a sandwich for myself whilst I am there :lol: !). I know he will get used to being at home alone and it's something that he has to get used to, but I'm just worried he'll fret without us at first.

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Auddymay wrote:Being still a pup, crates are actually safer than most rooms. If you have a 'chowling safe' room, all the better!

Jeff, do you ever run into people Peks likes instantly (and better than you?) I have one friend that Lily instantly liked when she first met him. I thought to myself that had she met me as an adult chow, she would not have taken to me like that!
Yeah, anyone with food or trash in thier hands take's priority over me, Other then that Pekoe dosn't want anyone but me around her.

I've seen to many fires, gas leaks, floods, homes sliding off hills and what ever else can happen when no one is home, Me personally would never leave a Chow or any dog alone in a crate. If your going to crate them then just take them with you in the crate or rent a locker at the airport and stick them in the locker until you get off, To many things can happen when People walk out the front door and for some reason it always does.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Poor Wilber... How COULD you leave those eyes.... Best send him over to me, I'm home all day :lol: :lol: :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Layla wrote:Poor Wilber... How COULD you leave those eyes.... Best send him over to me, I'm home all day :lol: :lol: :wink:
If I could send him to you to look after, I would. You're about the only person I know who doesn't work :lol: :wink:

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Only one answer for your dilemma......Wilbur needs a sister to keep him company!!

I left JR for a lot of years during the day...he did fairly ok...but 2 years ago when he was already 9...the addition of Miss fluffbucket, Cheyenne, who was 4 ...made the world of difference. They are soulmates now and can bark in unison at all that goes on outside the house during the day...and I know for sure that they have great conversations with each other!!!

Yep...a sister is the answer!
Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Sharons Chows wrote:Only one answer for your dilemma......Wilbur needs a sister to keep him company!!

I left JR for a lot of years during the day...he did fairly ok...but 2 years ago when he was already 9...the addition of Miss fluffbucket, Cheyenne, who was 4 ...made the world of difference. They are soulmates now and can bark in unison at all that goes on outside the house during the day...and I know for sure that they have great conversations with each other!!!

Yep...a sister is the answer!
Sharon
We are working on that Sharon. That's eventually what we want to do, get another! Then I won't worry about leaving them so much.

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Rowlee wrote:
Layla wrote:Poor Wilber... How COULD you leave those eyes.... Best send him over to me, I'm home all day :lol: :lol: :wink:
If I could send him to you to look after, I would. You're about the only person I know who doesn't work :lol: :wink:
Oh, I work.... I'm personal SLAVE to Millie & Alf :roll: :wink:
Thank you Elodie!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I see why you feel so guilty. My my look at that sweet face saying why you leavin?
SweetPea Rocks!!
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Oh, I work.... I'm personal SLAVE to Millie & Alf :roll: :wink:
:lol: :lol:

I've just been home to check on him. He was laying at the side gates looking out into the park. He bowled me over jumping on me when I got home (I bent down to pat him and he knocked me over). I ended up on the kitchen floor and got my skirt dirty so I had to change it before I went back to work :lol: I gave him his bone and off he went to lay on the lawn and eat it! I brought the washing in, unstacked the dishwasher, sat outside and had a diet coke and a cigarette, it was quite good actually. I should go home for lunch more often :) [/quote]

Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

It's nice being home huh :wink: I try to avoid chores but you'll get in to that the more you go home. I used to clean & do all kind of tidying :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Wilbur,

Mia here, I think you really need a little sis. I love my new brother - he's like a little windup toy. Chutney is my own little pet. I let mom walk him though, cause he hasn't learned the house rules yet, and I am too busy to take him out.

Now, when mom leaves me, I don't mind so much. He squawks a lot, but he's fun to have around.

Don't worry Wilbur, I'll get my mom to chat with your mom and tell her how cool it is.
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Wilbur,

Mia here, I think you really need a little sis. I love my new brother - he's like a little windup toy. Chutney is my own little pet. I let mom walk him though, cause he hasn't learned the house rules yet, and I am too busy to take him out.

Now, when mom leaves me, I don't mind so much. He squawks a lot, but he's fun to have around.

Don't worry Wilbur, I'll get my mom to chat with your mom and tell her how cool it is.
Mia
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Mia wrote:Wilbur,

Thanks Mia. My mummy has said she'll get me a little brother or sister as soon as she can to keep me company. I can't wait.

Love Wilbur xxx

JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

Wilbur looks so sad !!! And he has such BIG FEET !!
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Leaving our babies is always hard... It's so great that you work close by and can go home for lunch. Wilbur will love you all the more when you come home, even if you left the house 5 minutes before!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Fortunately they learn to adapt.
Jasmine was never left alone (I was sick and didn't work her first year and half of her life)
But now if I'm getting dressed for work she either goes to the door to be let out
(if weather permits) or goes and lays on her couch.
I always tell her I'll be back (might seem silly but I do it anyway) and tell her to behave and watch the house.
Gives her something to do while I'm away.
I always leave the TV on for her when I'm gone.
~ Sally
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Salandra wrote:Fortunately they learn to adapt.
Jasmine was never left alone (I was sick and didn't work her first year and half of her life)
But now if I'm getting dressed for work she either goes to the door to be let out
(if weather permits) or goes and lays on her couch.
I always tell her I'll be back (might seem silly but I do it anyway) and tell her to behave and watch the house.
Gives her something to do while I'm away.
I always leave the TV on for her when I'm gone.
There's nothing silly about talking to your Chow before you leave thats what I do and some of the others on the site do. If it sounds silly to some take note that those of us that talk to our Chows and say things like guard the place I will be back later never have a problem or the House isn't torn apart from Separation anxiety, Pekoe was never alone for the past ten years if any Chow would have a stroke being left alone it would be her but a little chit chat and the TV on before I leave No problem.

ImageImage