question?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sugaboog
Rank 0
Rank 0

question?

Post by sugaboog »

Do female chows get very big...Sugar is 5yo and still looks like a puppy , she only weighs 30 pounds and I'm pretty sure most of it is her fur LOL! The next chow we get, we want to be big. Is there a way to tell if they will grow to be a big chow or do female chows just not get that big?
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

I think it depends on the parents. Gabbana is 55lbs, I think some of the girls on here are around 60+ pounds and others are in the 30s range...
ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

We only ever had smaller females. A good way of telling, I think, would be to get a look at both parents.
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Millie is just under 60.... Her parents were smaller so I was pretty suprised. Good job the apartment complex people have a little dim. They think she's 35 :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Layla on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I don't know for sure but I would assume it would relate to the size of her parents...maybe her mom specifically? My Chloe is 15 wks and weighs 28lbs. She is almost on target of where Shug was at her age so I am guessing she will be close to his size at adulthood but will have to wait and see. She is more stocky. I do know we have chows on here ranging from 30-75lbs full grown. Maybe when you buy your next chow check out the parents and grandparents if possible for size guessing. Others on here will surely know more.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is 33-34 pounds. Millie and Mabel, Firesong, and Mikki are all small females. Most females are 45 pounds or better.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Yoshi is 58 pounds so yes they get bigger
sugaboog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sugaboog »

thank you for your replies, unfortunately we didn't get a look at the parents we bought sugar from, although now i realy wish we would have. i will be sure and take a peek at the parents next time.
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I've had a 45lb girl and Chyna is about 64lbs.she not fat but just a big boned girl :wink:
I've also had 2 boys that were aout 90-95 lbs.but my little Kai is 9 months old and he is only 38lbs.he will be the smallest chowboy I've ever seen.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
sugaboog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sugaboog »

90-95 lbs! wow! i would love it if sugar got that big.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy is about 43 lbs... I never got to see her parents so I honestly don't know what would be a good way to know how big they'll get.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Cinder is 48/49 lbs and she seems like a small chow to me. I had two other females Chana was ~60lbs and Tasha ~70lbs. Neither were overweight, just big girls.

Teddy is my first boy. He's 65 lbs and he could still stand to gain about 5 lbs.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sugaboog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sugaboog »

yeah, it seems the male dogs do get a bit bigger than the females, we haven't really given thought to getting a boy chow.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

My puppy Alf is 43# at 6 months. I'm esxpecting him to be B-I-G :D
Thank you Elodie!
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

sugaboog wrote:thank you for your replies, unfortunately we didn't get a look at the parents we bought sugar from, although now i realy wish we would have. i will be sure and take a peek at the parents next time.
Easy solution- Adopt a rescue! We knew how big all of our dogs would be because they were adults when they came to live with us. No guess work :D
Also no housebreaking or chewing.

The only PB Chow we have had is Tess and she spent most of her life around 42lbs. She's older and tipping the scale around 47-48lbs these days. Our Chow/Shepherd mix, Zoe was around 70lbs and Fiona, the Chow/maybe terrier/maybe Corgi/who knows what else mix, is right at 35lbs.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Cinder and Teddy are rescues and came to us full grown as well. While I loved the two I got as pups, I don't think I've ever received as much love as from these adults. They had hard lives and now are spoiled rotten. And I think they know it.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Funny when at Chow Fest I found out that even some males are on the small side.....Colonel isn't very big....was surprised as I always thought he was....
2 Females.....Kearra 34# over 1 yr
Kyra...10 mos almost 11 mos 55 # as you can see they vary in size....saw Kearra's parents and they were alot bigger than her....didn't see Kyra's

Thanks Sweetpea!
Bob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow size

Post by Bob »

I have to agree with the replies that advise purchase or rescue an adult Chow. It is the only way to know for sure. Cindy is 7 months and over 50 lbs. One the best looking female Chows that I have ever scene is 3 years old and 42 lbs.

Bob
ImageImageImageImage

]
zues62
Rank 1
Rank 1

Weight

Post by zues62 »

I don't believe you have anything to worry about, in regards to your females weight. My six month old male is at 42 pounds
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Both mine are rescues.
Cheyenne, my chowgirl, is almost 60lbs.
JR, my chowboy is only 43 lbs

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh is a Chow mix and is just a little under 60#'s and she is very muscular/solid.
Mr. N is closer to 65#'s and I think a large portion of that weight is fur :roll:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Our girl Tempest is about 52 pounds and is definitely going on a diet soon. Emperor Ming is about 62 pounds and should be on a diet. Sorta like their dad...

But, Tempest must be all muscle as you can definitely feel her ribs and she's really quite short. She's our retired showgirl, remember, and show quality chows are most often much shorter than pet quality. I didn't know that until we started going to shows after losing our first chow, Chia, and we just started going to see what they were like. We don't participate, but we do have a lot of new friends!!!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My late chow Luna weighed 60 pounds, not overweight, she was large. Mikki chow was 35 pounds, 3 years old when I adopted her. She is now 4, weighs 40 pounds. I do miss my big chow, I miss the GS bark.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Layla wrote:My puppy Alf is 43# at 6 months. I'm esxpecting him to be B-I-G :D
According to Kiwani's chart, they reach about 80% of their adult weight at 6 months, so he'll be about 60# maybe a bit more. Of course I've seen the boys continue to gain muscle and bone mass up until they are 3 years of age, Darkwind went from 57# at about 2 up to 70# in a year, and he didn't lose an ounce until he got sick. Dreamdancer is going to be 18months tomorrow, and he's still growing....

the females are supposed to be smaller than the males, but it all really dependes on the parents, I think if you have male and female sips from the same litter, you'll see that the females are usually smaller.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Just curious Victory, Milo was 52 when we got him and is now 59. He had no muscle mass when we took him to vet, she thinks he was confined quite a bit, but now he has muscle, (mamma flexes him to daddy, goofy folks that we are). Do you think he will gain more weight as he works out? He is 2 years 4 months.
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!