TRY TO DISPELL THE AGGRESSIVE MYTH OF CHOWS

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I agree, it is absolutely horrible that people perceive the chow chow to be vicious.
They are a lot of things that people do not appreciate.
Why don't you get one of your trained up as a therapy dog. One lady on the site had a chow chow who had his certificate to go into hospitals and whatever (I am not sure if that is a therapy dog certificate) and I am thinking another chow chow on the site has or had a therapy dog certificate.
It is so sad - because chow chows are so beautiful.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Your pictures are beautiful - of beautiful chow chows, Jonathen.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I wish Holden had the tolerance to be a therapy dog. I think that is a wonderful idea. Growing up, I think we had 3 different female Chow Chows who would have been great therapy dogs. I think that would be a very rewarding experience.
ImageImageImage
pablotx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pablotx »

The perception really bothers me as well. I have been taking Ginger everywhere and letting people pet her. Most can't believe how sweet she is, and I make sure I tell them that this is how the breed really is. All the kids in the neighborhood love on her when we go on our daily walks. I think the more we can take our dogs out in public and let them be handled, the better. Hearts and minds, one person at a time.
Pablotx, aka Ginger's dad
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I HATE that perseption, too. I'll get people in my neighborhood that jump to conclutions and I've lived here longer than they have and they see me walking her EVERYDAY and I know they see all the kids playing with her, too.

I hate people who do that. But hey... at least I have Tippsy and I can love on her all I want. :lol: :D

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

My first chow had her therapy dog certificate. We visit my mom at the hospital and later on in the nursing home. My chow was more than welcomed. The patients loved the cuddly chow.

I haven't had my present chow Mikki tested yet. I no longer drive and it would be too difficult to travel by public transportation. However, I did take her with me when we visit my 94 yr old teacher in a small out of town nursing home. My chow was fine with everyone, motorized wheelchairs didn't bother Mikki, nor the sounds, noise of Alzheimer patients.

If your chows are conditioned to noise, strangers, kids, elevators, hospital alarms, give it a try. My chows knew that this was a setting where the chow is not to act up, freak out or act skittish. Many elderly or sick patients don't always have good co-ordination and the chow has to put up with getting poked in the eye or get touched from behind. A calm dog is a must.
left,Ed,centre,MrsRamsey 94,rightMrsEste 103
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

There are actually quite a few Chows on here that do therapy work. A few with CGC titles as well. On the flip side, we have quite a few that hate being touched...lol. We can only change opinion one ignorant person at a time, welcome to the team!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

The strange thing both my chows, the late Luna and now Mikki hated to be touched by strangers. They hated to be approached from behind. Luna was the wild one, at least Mikki is quiet to begin with. Once inside the building or even in front where patients would sit in the summer, neither freaked out. It's almost like they developed a 6th??? sense.

I visit an 88 yr old woman who lives in my neighbourhood. One time I didn't know her son and his two min pin were also visiting, the three sat in the kitchen like angels. Outdoors all three bark, fight, snarl at each other. Some dogs just know. It's trial and error.
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I think therapy dog would be wonderful way to help out with those silly pre concieved notions. I really wanted to try and do that with Butters but he went a little crazy. Still when people see him their eyes light up and he makes people smile. Isn't that the best part. Good luck!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Chow Aggressive

Post by Mally »

I too get very upset and angry when people TELL ME that Chows are vicious dogs. They go to the point of spreading ridiculous lies that Chows kill children and that many countries have banned Chows as pets! What disgusting lies!!!! Those people are completely ignorant about the breed - in fact 99% of them wouldn't even know what a Chow looks like! I have made the best decision of my life NOT to listen to them and GET a Chow and when the right time comes I will get another one or even two more!!!! YAY :lol:
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

There are always going to be ignorant people in the world, all we can do is show by example how these magnificent creatures are loving, reasonable family members. Cinder has her CGC, the only part that was difficult was for her to allow a stranger to touch the top of her head. She would have earned it much earlier if it was allowed to ask the stranger to pet under the chin.

I think Teddy may be suited for Therapy Dog certification. He is friendly to all. We will go to obedience first and see how he does, I think the CGC is a prerequiste anyway. He learned sit and come within a couple of days of joining us, so I suspect he will excel.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
midnightstars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow Chows as Therapy Dogs

Post by midnightstars »

I had two female Chows one (STAR) just passed on in February of this year at age 14 I had her from 6 weeks old. The other is a rescue dog (Midnight) who was abused I got her when she was two. I used to take them with me to the nursing home to see my mother about 3 to 4 times a week. The residents loved them they each had their favorite but they were wonderful to the people Midnight was a little skittish at first but after a while she loved going. They loved going their and would have gone everyday with me if I let them. My mother use to hold the leash while I wheeled here around we use to visit with quite a lot of the residents. My mother has passed also this year but I plan to start taking midnight their again. :)
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Good for you, Johnathon. Your Chows are just gorgeous. We definitely need to let people know how great they are. Not too long ago, Amanda (Wildthings) and I took Fiona to the pet store. A woman and her teen daughter exited the store as we got out of the car. The teen stopped and said, "Oh Mom! Look at the Chow! Oh my God, it looks like Buddy did!" She stopped to say hello and slowly offer a hand to Fiona to sniff. Her mother stood about seven or eight feet away and had tears on her face as she nodded and said, "Yeah, It does. They're so beautiful."

On the way out of the store that day an older gentleman stopped us with a "That's a Chow, right?"
I said she was. He said he had a Chow mix and it was the best dog he'd ever met. :D

Sometimes it takes walking one in public to bring the Chow lovers out of the woodwork :D And maybe convince others they aren't so bad after all.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

You aren't to far from us depending on which side of Atlanta you mean. I think it would be great to do the therapy dog training. It might change a few people's opinions and it is a great cause.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Darkwind would have made a great thearpy chow, he was very very calm, nothing phased him, or startled him, (except big cars, trucks and buses). Firesong is a bit too high strung she may calm more as she ages.

Dreamdancer is a little young yet, but I think when he's a little over two he may make a good candidate. I would like to be able to take him to places where kids are, I see a need for kids to learn how to be around strange dogs here in Minneapolis.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh, if I hear one more time, "When I was growing up there was this chow that lived down the street and he/she was just vicious and hated everyone," I am going to scream. So many people think I want to hear about the horrible chow they knew as a kid.

Either everyone lived on the same street or people just didn't understand them.

I took my new little bind guy to Starbucks today and some people backed away like he had the plague. Silly people.
Mia
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Mia wrote:Oh, if I hear one more time, "When I was growing up there was this chow that lived down the street and he/she was just vicious and hated everyone," I am going to scream. So many people think I want to hear about the horrible chow they knew as a kid.

Either everyone lived on the same street or people just didn't understand them.
I agree! I am so sick of hearing people say that they know someone who was MAULED by a chow.

I was actually mauled by a mix breed when I was about 5. I almost lost my eye sight and I have a scar across my right eye, on the side of my cheek, on my neck, and behind my ear. I don't rush up to people and tell them they shouldn't have a mix breed because I was mauled by one as a kid. And I certainly don't fear dogs because of it.
ImageImageImage