So glad I found you all

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RouxTheLabChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

So glad I found you all

Post by RouxTheLabChow »

Hope I can talk with you guys even though I have a Lab Chow. I was so happy to have found this site as my lab chow should really be called a Chow Lab. She is black, with some copper glints in the sun...but has the chow tail and leg featherings....plus spots on her tongue. Most importantly, other than retrieving, her personality is ALL chow. We joke that her favorite things in life are to retrieve and protect. She is extremely protective but very calm and docile with her family. She is definitely a 1 family dog. Her personality is mostly chow. I am curious if anyone has experience with this mix? She is 90 lbs. and about as tall/heavy as a Lab, however, her markings and behavior are more Chow-like.. She is very reserved with others....really does not care about getting petted by anyone except her family and not too interested in other dogs. As she has such a strong "Chow" personalty, I thought I would chat with others who might have this same mix. I got her from the SPCA at 6 months. She is now 5. ... anyone else have a Chow/lab? Thanks!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

welcome!

Sorry don't have any experience in that, except that I have a black chow and my friend has a black lab and when they both get together they make a chow/lab bunch of black fluff. LOL!

It's funny, they both have such opposite views on things. My chow is laid back, doesn't really play much and likes to play with her toys. The black lab has bundles of energy, loves to play with other dogs and eats her toys. lol

I do think that there are some people here with chow/labs and lab/chows. What a fabulous combination.
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

No experience in the chow/lab mix. But Hello and Welcome!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
jerseyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jerseyp »

My chow-lab mix has always been more chow like than lab but she looks just like a big shiba inu. She never wanted to retrieve, was aloof but not shy, stubborn and wouldn't take anything that was unfair, rude or aggressive (from people or dogs). She was the most independent dog I ever met and was es easy to take care of as a cat (although she loved her daily off leash walks). If there was any lab personality, it was that she was willing to learn tricks for treats which our daughter worked patiently to teach her (she could roll over , snatch treats off her nose etc). She also liked to sleep next to people (she hogs the bed and steals the blanket). The more you socialize your dog, the better he will adapt although he will never act like a stereotypical lab. Both my chow-lab and my chow retriever will allow people to pet them (although they could really care less) and both of them are good with other dogs (unless those dogs cross them). Good luck - my chow lab who is now 14 has brought me more than I could ever expect.
Image[/url]
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Of course you're welcome to chat here about your Chow mix! Do you have pictures to show us of your girl?
ImageImageImage
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Lab-Chow

Post by Mally »

Welcome! You're going to love this site..everyone is very friendly and supportive! oh and sorry I don't know much about Lab-Chow mix :P

Mally
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Welcome,
I have 2 chows,so I don't know about chow/lab mix.but I'm sure others here have that mix.
nice you found this site :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Welcome to the forum, I have a pb chow Yoshi and a a retriever/chow mix (Maxwell). We love photos!!!!!

David
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome, I have two purebred chow rescues. My brother's home includes two purebred labs. That's as close as I can come to lab/chow mix experience, I'm afraid. But I'm more than happy to talk with you. And I'd love to see some pics.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

My Princess is a Chow/lab mix. She has no desire to retrieve. Other than her looks (often the only thing a person sees in her is the lab), the only lab like attitude she has is her happy go lucky I just want to be everybodies best friend. Everything else about her is pretty much Chow. When it comes to other dogs, she's getting less friendly all the time (not sure if thats the lab or chow because Gracie is a purebred and she's great with other dogs).So I dont know whats going on with that. But people she loves them all.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Take a look at my Gilbert -- another
chow/lab mix. He's just goofy,
in fact, I think he could be the
model for Goofy.

You'll find everyone is welcome here.
My Sullivan is a mix too, though she's
pretty close to all chow. Even
Charlie my chihuahua/beagle mix is
welcome, though, I'm sorry to
repeat myself, he is a total
chowhuahua.

PS -- That's Gilbert in the
middle.
courtsey of Sweetpea
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Ginger is a chow mix but we aren't sure with what. She is sweet and sassy but still a puppy so she has lots of puppy traits. She does show some chowness though.
Welcome to the site, you'll love it here. Everyone is great help even if your chow is a mix or in my case you have a mix and two non chows...they are all a part of the family! There has even been some talk of cats!

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

I am pretty sure that Butters is a Chow/Monster mix!! LOL
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Welcome!

Auddymay's Pip is a grogeous Lab/chow mix also.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
RouxTheLabChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gilbert looks like my Roux!!!!

Post by RouxTheLabChow »

Thank you all for your warm reception. I know I will like this site!!! Thank you for all your many repies on my "labchow" inquiries. It looks like Pfordeb's handsome 'Gilbert" is my Roux' twin!!! Thanks for the great picture. I'm still figuring out how to download a pix of Rouc. They are a great mix. However, there are so many variable outcomes when mixing lab/chows...I've seen some rather short coats and small statures --perhaps that is due to crossing the lab with a short coat (vs. rough coat) chow. I just love this mix and might even consider a full blooded chow the next time around. It is amazing how 1 family dogs these dogs are. Are you all's chows quiet in the house? Unless there is a reason to bark or run around, Roux is generally quiet and content....almost cat-like in the house. Is this a chow characteristic? Again, so glad I found you guys! Hope you and all your Chow/Chow mixes have a wonderful 2008!! Happy New year! :D
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Holden is very cat-like! You really only know he's here if someone comes up to the front of the house or one of us comes home from work. Then he barks and sounds ferocious!
ImageImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

Oh welcome welcome welcome! :-) My 2nd chow was chow/lab. His name was Thor. Mostly chow fur and all... except... floppy ears. :-) alot of poeple thought he was a newphie (sp?). He was great. 85 lbs and very tall and wide :-). His personality on the other hand was quite friendly. More lab like than chow but the chow would come out at times. For example... to go and get the ball... he would lay down and look at you like.. "You go get the ball, thats to much work... and then you want me to bring it back... why did you throw it in the first place?" He loved MOST people... but there were a few that he actualy would FREAK out and go nutz! He was a very good boy...
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

My Pip is a Chowder. She looks like a flat coated retriever, except her legs are a tad shorter, and her ears have a high bend, which she can make stand up when she meets certain other dogs. And a spotted tongue. She is all Lab in attitude, but her PB sister Lily more than makes up for it.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Princess is annoying. :lol: She keeps her eyes on the windows, barks and whines at every person, dog, cat, horse, rabbit, squirrel she sees, at night she will bark at her own reflection! When outside she barks at the distant sound of other dogs, sometimes I swear she's barking just to see if the far away dogs are outside. I think this part of her personality is lab because Gracie is totally the opposite.
RouxTheLabChow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lab Chowness

Post by RouxTheLabChow »

Wow! I see AuddyMay's little one looks a lot like Roux. People have asked me if she's a Flat Coated retriever. funny thing, is that when she actually met a Flat Coated Retriever, they both snarled at each other that it was like watching a mirror image. She is normally so good with other dogs so this was a real shocker. Roux also walks with a little "sashay" to her step......do chows have this "swing" side-side (only very slightly, but I'm her mom so I study all these fine details about her - lol) when they walk? There are no chows in this neighborhood so sorry about all these elementary questions!! Many thanks! RouxTheLabChow :)
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Yup. Bounce, butt wag
and repeat ...
courtsey of Sweetpea
chris

Post by chris »

pfordeb wrote:Yup. Bounce, butt wag
and repeat ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
enchantedonyx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by enchantedonyx »

Tess swings her hips a bit when she walks. I think it's the stilted gait, though, that causes it :D Very cute.
~Renae
<br>

Banner thanks to Wildthings. Sizing thanks to Sweetpea.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

Ginger doesn't walk she struts, all hip sway and booty shake

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

LOL, Millie walks like Marilyn Monroe. Her pants & tail 'flounce' with every step she takes.... funnily, it's even more when she's in a huff about something :lol: Alf, he has a little booty as he strsts, it more manly though..... :wink:
Thank you Elodie!