Another Stanley Coren thread

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Another Stanley Coren thread

Post by cleopatra20043 »

I believe that this is the same guy that said Chow chows are stupid. Well here is the test that was given to "support" his theory. What I think he fails to notice that chow chows are a different breed and don't respond to typical dog training. Just thought you all might enjoy this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/animals/dog_test/default.htm
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

This guy is an idiot. I wonder how long it would take him to respond to the word refridgerator? Anyway...

So Ginger isn't old enough to fit the criteria for testing. Instead I used Max, the dachshund. He's very chow like in that he only does what he wants to, is not social because he was not socialized well as a puppy, and is incredibly stubborn when it comes to training.

So all the food ones he did wonderfully at because he's food motivated-but what if you are testing a dog that isn't? Also with the table one he just knowcked the table over to get his food-we had to make a makeshift table low enough...I don't knwo what that says about his intelligience although I thought it was pretty genius of him.
Throwing a blanket over his head seemed like a bad idea for most dogs just because of aggression issues. With Max it was an invitation to curl up and go to sleep...he tends to burrow under blankets. He came out when I called him though immediatly.
Calling him refridgerator and movie in any tone just got him to look at me like I was an idiot. I think he is smarter to answer not to a tone of voice but to an actual word. Especially since the tone I use differs based on why I am calling for him.
Smiling got the same what is wrong with you? look.
If anything he now thinks I am to idiotic to be his master-he has left my side for DH.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

LMFAO! This Coren guy is really way too funny!

And as such I will make my "intellectual" assessment on the said subject (*giggles) regarding canine intelligence based on Yumi's possible reactions and experiences (well, Yumi isn't a year old yet) - pardon my translating incapacities though

Test 1: Yumi will think "ok, you don't want to give me the treat right now? I can wait." Then will flop down and look at you so you would feel guilty (and later gets the treat as I would be too guilty for making her do work). score: 1 point

Test 2: Yumi, seeing the towel means "Bath time" = "trouble", will attack any part of the towel that her mouth can reach and will not release herself from it but wrestle with it. Score: 1 point

Test 3: When Yumi sees you smile, she will not come to you, will not wag her tail BUT look you and do the "chow quizziccal look" like, "hey, what's funny? Do I have something on my face or are you just being crazy?" Score: 1 point

Test 4: Like Test #1, she'll look at the treat then look at you "disgustingly" like saying, "now look at what you've done with my treat" and walk away (and ends up getting another treat because the place where the treat was placed will be dusty ( :oops: :oops: ). Score: 1 point

Test 5: Imagine calling your pet "refrigerator" or "movies"! How can you respond to something that absurd! Whenever we tease her, she'll just look at you like "what's going on in that brain of yours?" Score: 1 point

According to this academic tool (fool) for testing canine intelligence, my beloved chowchow is not even close to getting a satisfactory mark as she is not as intelligent as the tool suggests (and prescribes)....

Lucky Yumi... 8)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

He is the reason Chows are put down so fast at shelters. Its a shame people are so stupid they listen to so called experts like this but I guess if it weren't for stupidity we wouldn't have experts like Manson, Jim Jones and Hitler. People are like cattle they need someone to guide their empty minds, right or wrong.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Idiot he is!
Regarding the towel test - that is so stupid - only a few weeks ago, Fred draped his dressing gown over Milly and she walked from our bedroom through to the sitting room with it still draped over her - with such a funny look on her face - she thought it was funny and called his bluff!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Wowzer!!! This guy is nuts. First of all, the sniff test wouldn't show intelligence it would only measure how good the dog smells!! If I were to make him sit and stay then smile at him he would think I had gone of my rocker and run for the hills!!!!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Firesong would get all the food ones, she's a hunteress, and food is her main motivation. Calling her refrigerator would get me ignored, same for movies...they hear me say those words all the time and they KNOW it's not their name. Putting a towel over her head would have a very bad response, (she's afraid of that) and I'd end up trying to make it up to her for the rest of the day, (or a week). Smiling at her, might get a puzzled look or it might get her to come closer, since she always makes me smile when I look at her and I usually call her to me with a smile..(who doesn't?)

Dreamdancer would probably get all the food, he'd watch Firesong figure it out first so he'd know how. He wouldn't respond to refrigerator or movies either for the same reasons. He'd think I want'ed him to play with the towel and get it off so he could "kill" it, and I smile at him too so he'd come to me.

What stupid tests...how about testing them for the things their natures help them do? Like track birds. I can understand why the chow went out the window over a low plane, chows are the only canines I've ever seen that will track planes, and heliocopters in the sky and they do react when the machines are too low. I've never seen any other domestic animal so aware as to watch something that high in the sky. It's not stupidity, it's an awareness of the totality of their surroundings, which is an indication of higher intelligence in HUMANS never mind animals. This Cohen person doesn't want a truly thinking animal he wants an obeident little robot, shows how smart he is.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Desi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Desi »

test 2:
With a quick smooth motion throw the towel over the dogs head, so it's head and shoulders are completely covered (you may want to practice this without the dog first).

At this point I realized the nitwit wouldn't pass his own test.

Test 5: if sometimes one of the girls wants is under a chair or table ,and too far for them to paw it ,it depends if the thing is too heavy to move.
They'll use their weight moving the chair.
If that doesn't work they'll whine,come to me,whine at me,walk back to what it is they need,showing me where it is,so I can get it for them.Pretty clever I'd say.
If something is on the dining room table they will pull the table cloth,lol
If that doesn't work they move a chair from under the table and get on it.Really funny to see the"I am just sitting here enjoying the view" look on their face if they get caught.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Desi wrote:test 2:
With a quick smooth motion throw the towel over the dogs head, so it's head and shoulders are completely covered (you may want to practice this without the dog first).

At this point I realized the nitwit wouldn't pass his own test.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are right nitwit about sums it up.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!