Met a wolfdog yesterday.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

nuke

Met a wolfdog yesterday.

Post by nuke »

I went to one of our job sites, was walking up the side of the house and stopped dead in my tracks.

I saw this stunning grey and white "wolf" and it was on a long leash. Such a beautiful animal.

After I realized that he was a gentle, friendly animal I knelt down and he came up to me. I talked to him and gave him a good petting.

When I started to walk away, he began making these really interesting mini howls....almost like he was talking to me. Very vocal and seemed very smart.

A friend of mine had a pair of wolf-dogs as a kid. He told me that they could jump over their 6 foot fence with no problem. Reading online today, it is said that they can clear an 8 foot fence from a standing position.

Something inside of me was just fascinated by this animal. He seemed like he had an ancient soul. Just a really impressive animal.
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

They are impressive to me too, and such good looking dogs/animals. I knew someone that had one mixed with sheppard - he was stunning, and his feet were huge!
zingara_princepessa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zingara_princepessa »

About 15 years ago, I worked at a school in a very wooded area on the San Francisco Peninsula. The school had a HUGE soccer field and there was a guy who would bring his two wolf dogs to run them around on the field when no one was there. (Wolves and wolf hybrids are illegal in California.)

The first time I saw them I was really intimidated. I, too, stopped dead in my tracks when I saw two leggy wolves galloping at me at full speed! They whizzed past me and turned around headed back my way. Their owner must have seen the look on my face because he jogged over to me and said "Don't worry....they're harmless."

With that he brought out a ball, and started throwing it for the male to fetch. While that was going on, the female ran over to me again, threw herself down on the lawn at my feet and proceeded to pee all over herself!!! Big, SCARY wolf!!!

I would see them every Sunday for almost 3 years and every time she saw me, she would do the same thing: run up , flop over and pee. It got to be so that I would try to keep her up on her feet so she wouldn't do it. She was really funny!!
Jenn & Orso the Magnificent!