accepting a petsitter, need some help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

accepting a petsitter, need some help

Post by sweetpea »

We are going to my daughters for Thanksgiving. We have a friend who is house sitting to tend to the girls for us. Gracie has not totally accepted him. What we've been doing is he comes over every evening and takes her for a walk. I am going to leave Princess' harness on her while were gone (leash clips on the back) so he can just clip the leash. The plan was to get her associating him with going on a walk. Its helped. She will now take treats from him now but its a quick take the treat and run away. She is getting better about going up to him and sniffing him and licking his hand but she will not let him put the leash on her or take it off.
Tomorrow night he's staying the night so we have the evening to get her to accept this. Our worry is when we leave that she may not let him put the leash on her. How do you do it when you've taken in a foster Chow that is still skittish and unsure of the unfamilar faces?
Gracie knows this guy, she has never allowed him to pet her but she has been around him several times so its not like he's a stranger. What is the best way to have him put the leash on her when we are gone? Do you think once we leave she'll give in and let him take her out? Any suggestions?
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Is there anyway tomorrow night when he stays over that you could leave for a little while and see if when you are not there if she would let him clip the leash on...kind of a trial run? My family has never left Tess for more than several hours in the last eight and a half years, because I don't know if she would let someone come in the house, especially when we were not home, and get close enough to hook a leash on her, but I've been dog sitting for quite a few years. I have never had a dog that absolutely refused to allow me to hook a leash on them...usually letting them know we were going a walk was enough to win them over. I do know with Fiona, she was petrified to have us come close enough to take her leash off when we brought her home a few months ago. She started out with the leash on...Terrina had it on her when we picked her up...but it took several hours to get it back off her...another few hours to loosen her collar, but by the end of the night, as long as I approached her very slowly and had really good treats (baked ham was her treat of choice that night), she would let me get the leash on and off her as long as I didn't go above her head. For the first few weeks, I would reach at her from the side of her face, run my hand up around the side of her head around her ears, grab the collar and slowly move it around her neck until I had the leash ring. I had to do all this while the other hand was giving bites of treats.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

We are going to get bacon, she can't say no to bacon. I just thought, maybe I should keep her in her own harness (leash clips in the front). She will take treats from him (but runs away with them), will lick his hands. So maybe if she has her own harness on he would have better luck because he wouldnt have to lean over her or reach over her?
What I like about the harness that is actually Princess' is if Gracie gets spooked she can't slip out of it. I feel better knowing if someone other than myself or my husband is going to be taking her out she would be in something that is harder to slip out of.
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

You mention that he has been coming over to walk her. When he does, what happens when they come home, do you take the lead off of her? What does she do when he tries to unhook her? Is she prone to bite?

I would start by having him bring her home from the walk and take her to one particular room, leaving the leash attached to her. Then have him call her over for a treat and have him step on the lead when he gives it to her. When she tries to run off, he can grab it quickly and then take her out and walk around for a few minutes. Have him bring her back inside and drop the leash, repeating the process over and over. Then try having him unhook her and let her wander around without it. Have him call her over for a treat and hook her up before giving it to her. Short of that working, you might try a slip lead instead of the harness if she still won't let him hook her up.

Limiting her movement around the house to one room and having him sit on the floor with her in that room until she is more comfortable interacting with her might help, and using the same leash technique may also get her used to him being in charge of her. Hopefully he is not timid or afraid of her, since she will definitely pick up on that. If possible, since he is going to sleep over-make her sleep in the same room with him with the leash on. If she needs to go out, he can pick up the leash and take her out.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I don't know how well she will get along with him or allow him to put a leash on her but make sure you tell him a million times before you walk out the door to never open the door or a gate unless the leash is on her or she's going to take off the first opportunity she gets to find you, it happened to me and it happened to Chowfriend88, her Chow took off, they almost had to return but the sitter found the Chow. Tell him never open the door with her standing there no matter how safe he thinks it is unless she is leashed. Unless he is use to a Chows thinking a Chow can con him easily.

You also better have him walk her with you there , hand him the leash and see if she will even walk, Pekoe refuses to walk if I hand the leash to someone, she looks at me then sits down and refuses to move. These Chow are way smarter then most of you give them credit for and will take advantage of new people.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

We have a enclosed porch off the front door. The girls like to lay out there so I keep a baby gate in front of the door so if they see a rabbit they can force the door open. I'll make sure he knows to keep that gate in front of the door.

I cant make it anywhere to get any other kind of leash or harness. We have one car, my husband is working today and I had said I'd work evenings yesterday and tonight for the extra money before we leave to WI. So I have to use one of the two harness's we have. One attaches on the back, the other in the front. I wanted her in the one that attaches on the back because if she is outside with David and gets nervous with him she cant slip out of it.

We have made progress with her towards him. At first we had to walk her outside then hand him the leash. She kept looking back at him, tail down, was nervous but did walk. Then got so he could take her from inside the house to outside on his own and she'd go, unsure of herself but she went but we put the leash on and had to take it off. Now she walks outside with him, tail up, but once inside she wants away from him and again we have to put the leash on her and take it off. After we remove the leash she will then go up to him on and off to sniff him, even lick his hand but he cant touch her. She's not a biter but we dont want her to get so nervous that she might.
We made a lot of progress with her towards him, just need her to accept him putting the leash on and taking it off. Getting it so he can take it off can be done easier than him being able to get close enough to put it on.
I just thought, when we walk her we use a long leash, we should use a shorter leash so she has to walk closer to him. I'm so use to using the long leash that never dawned on me. Tonights treats and while we're gone will be bacon (she loves bacon), that might help. I wish I had never said I'd work tonight so I could be here to watch all of it. But I'll have him take her out again when I get home and then again in the morning before we leave. Hopefully between this afternoon and in the morning she will let him put a leash on her!
Boggled
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boggled »

I too would suggest leaving tomorrow before he comes over, and have him go in without you guys there. I would also tell him to talk to them as he's opening the door, etc.
Nikita still barks at us, if she's unsure who's coming - If we talk 1st she is fine.
Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"I too would suggest leaving tomorrow before he comes over, and have him go in without you guys there. I would also tell him to talk to them as he's opening the door, etc."

Great idea, I'm taking bets now if he ever gets through the door with them not being home. I'm betting he either calls them in a panic that he can't get in or he's sitting at the front door still trying to get in when they get home. Opening bets start at $20.00. Odds are 100 to 1 he dosn't get in.

I'm going by Pekoe, there's not a chance of anyone getting it the door even if she knows them unless they have a bed in the house. Its been tested and proven. with Pekoe if a sitter walks out the door with out her he ain't a gittin back in.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Jeff you are so mean starting a betting pool. :P

The thing I have learned in regards to handling new chows is to just be matter of fact about everything. The second you hesitate, the chow knows it and you are done. If the petsitter acts like everything is normal and he is supposed to be walking her then she should just go along. If he is thinking "Oh my god, I hope she doesn't bite me" or whatever other negative things he may think then he is in for a struggle. The only thing that will be hard is that she is in her own house so she will think the rules are the same and he may not do everything "exactly" her way.

The first time we left Boogie with a petsitter, we had her over and he was great with her. We left and the next day she said he was growling at her and making all of his ferocious noises. Once she got over the initial fear of him, he followed along and was fine. Boogie is like a spoiled little kid. He tries to get away with all he can unless he is called on it.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm just taking it for granted he will back off on the first growl, Thats been my experirnce. If he is as comfotable with Chows as your sitter then no problems, bets are off.

If he dosn't get through the door and trys differant ways of getting in the house then Gracie will still get walked, running from door to door and window to window keeping the guy out of the house. That should be enough excercise and he did walk her. Excercise is excercise no matter how it is done.

There probably won't be any problems I'm just going by Pekoe.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I adgree with Jeff sorta. I don't think sending him on his own is wise although I guess he isn't planning on being there 24/7 while your gone so he'll have to head in sometime alone. Hmmm...Maybe putting the baby gate up so he can get in the house while still having a safety zone? That way he will have enough time to calm his nerves if they growl and get down to business. I like the talking to them thing. I do think however that he should be inside with them already when you leave so they understand he is there regardless.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

SweetPea,

I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with the family.
It sounds like you have done a good job so far, putting things in place for your departure.
I agree with the others...your sitter should be there, inside with Gracie, while you leave for your trip.
Giving your seal of approval to the sitter in front
of Gracie should be helpful.
I'm sure it will all work out, don't worry, have
a good time with the family!
Happy Thanksgiving!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Well tonight was good and bad. I had to work so it was David and my husband. Gracie growled at David, wasnt about to let him near her to put a leash on her. My husband ended up having to hold her to allow it and then after the walk David pulled her close enough to him to take the leash off. He worked with her giving her treats, was able to pet her. When I got home at 11 I called David to come back. He walked in, Gracie didnt even bark at him this time. Went right up to him. She took treats from him, she let him pet her. Hopefully she got the growling fit out of her system now.
Well, hopefully it all goes well. I'm betting Gracie lets him in and will be sitting on the sofa with him by the end of the weekend. If he has a hard time we will just do thanksgiving dinner then come home early. Thanks for the help everyone.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

She did sooo good! He had no trouble with her at all. She allowed the leash, must not have done any pooping with him because she's a bit bound up. The house is in one piece, curtains still hanging. 1 toy destroyed and the evidence of a pillowfight is in the trash other than that the girls did great and Gracie allowed David to put the leash on her.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

What great news Sweetpea. Do you think David will look after the girls again for you?

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Hooray!!!!! I am glad Gracie behaved like the little chow lady she is. :D
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I am so glad.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!