Pet Insurance

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pet Insurance

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Who all has pet insurance for their Chowdren?

I've debated over whether or not to get it, so just wondering who has it, who you have it with, if you've had good/bad experiences with claims...

Any info would help!
ImageImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I do! I got nothing out of them for Millie's entropion but have got 90% back from both her UTI emergency visits & treatment.... Saving me a heap of $$$ because they were really unsure what was wrong with Millie both times (no blood in her urine or classic symptoms) so they ran a whole battery of tests :!:

I have it for the fact I can take Millie in & get her everything she may need without wincing as I hand over the credit card :lol: I also get a small discount for having Alf insured as a second pet.

On the down side, you do have to wait about 30 days to get money back & lots of genetic things don't seem to be covered I believe (I have VPI)
Thank you Elodie!
kitcatak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitcatak »

I also have VPI. There are better companies, but they don't insure here in Alaska. I just got Lacey's policy set up. I think it is worth it because I don't have to worry about unexpected health issues, I will get money back from them. I have the additional coverage that also covers well visits so I get money back for routine visits as well. It costs about $20 a month per chow.

Tracy
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I too,have VPI.I do like having it.I can't figure out how they decide what to pay for.I have had so many medical problems with every one of my chows,so as soon as I get home with the new pup I call VPI.
they will not cover any genetic problems like hip dysplacia,heart problems,entropian,etc.
but I'd like to add that you must ask for the cancer clause.its about $40.00 a year more and they will not give it to you if the dog is over 4 yrs old I believe.so add it while they are young if you want it.
I am always happy when I get a check for all of Chynas medical expenses :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

If someone could list insurance companies that they've had good luck with, that would be great !!
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

jacqui wrote:but I'd like to add that you must ask for the cancer clause.its about $40.00 a year more and they will not give it to you if the dog is over 4 yrs old I believe.so add it while they are young if you want it.
Hmm... Holden just turned 4 this August so would they consider that a no?
ImageImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

if you want the cancer clause,I would call them and ask about it for Holden.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
luvchows

Post by luvchows »

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I had VPI for Pekoe but like someone mentioned you never know what's covered or what they will refund, I had the best plan they offered but everytime I turned in a claim they had an excuse not to pay. I let it go for a year then thought I should renew it but then was tol she was a senior so the policy went way up, I didn't get then a year later she gets Cancer.

You should shop around but if you get VPI there platinum or god plan they cover cancer but only a couple of thousand, if you want more cancer coverage they offer it. I got VPI in the early days when Pet insurance first started so they may have changed all there coverage's which ever best suits them. unless it covers Cancer and Catastrophic diseases I wouldn't waste the money. With out insurance I would say any Cancer treatments are going to start around $6000.00 minimum but don't anyone not see an Oncologist if needed because I said that, that's just my opinion, Hundreds of differant cancers and hundreds of differant prices.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Lyn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lyn »

I have Pets Best and love it. My deductible is $75.00 and then they pay 80% of the bill. Not 80% of what they feel it should have cost. I have used it for bee-stings,ear infections,etc. I usually receive my check in about 10 days. They cover ACL injuries after you have had the insurance for a calendar year. I have not had one claim denied or not paid as stated.
Lyn
Lyn

CT Appa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CT Appa »

Appa has VPI, luckily we haven't had to use it, but I wanted to make sure that he had some coverage....I asked if they would cover entropion or elbow dysplatia, and they said they won't cover any known hereditary problems and the surgery that comes along with them. I don't think most insurances will cover known problems, but if someone find something out there, that would be outstanding.
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pet Insurance

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Thanks
JAYGOW1 wrote:If someone could list insurance companies that they've had good luck with, that would be great !!
I have seen reference to VPI with both favorable and non-favorable reviews, the one post about Pets Best, does anyone have feedback on ShelterCare? Or for that matter any other pet insurance brands favorable or not, I would appreciate the feedback.
We do keep money set aside for emergencies with our animals, but considering additional alternatives.

Thanks
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."