Introducing Pudding from Austin, TX!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Introducing Pudding from Austin, TX!!

Post by puddinglove »

It's been over a month since I've join this wonderful group, and it's high time I shared my furchild's story, so here goes...

I've always loved animals in general, and chows especially. I wanted to rescue a chow, but wanted a young one since I had never owned a chow before and had read book after book on chow socialization and care. I wasn't confident I could work through the issues an older rescue dog might have. Hubby and I had made a deal that I could have one pet for every 500 sq. ft. living space we had. We have a 1200 sq. ft. house and two cats, so we were at capacity. At our anniversary, however, he surprised me by taking me to the animal shelter and told me I could adopt another pet. He had been going there every day for two weeks already, looking for a chow pup, but to no avail. On that day, however, we saw two pups and we put in adoption applications for both. I was so excited.

A couple days later, a phone call came saying that both pups had gone to earlier applications. I was happy that the chows had forever homes, but it still broke my heart. I went to the two shelters almost every day for two more weeks and this happened another three times. I also combed the internet for chow rescues (I hadn't found this site yet) and sent letters of interest to anyone with a rescue chow pup. There were no replies. By then I was emotionally spent and wondered why it was so hard to rescue a dog. I decided that I would put out an adoption request and leave it at that. If it was answered in two years, so be it. I tried to put it out of mind after that.

About three weeks later, I was at Costco when my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number and was about to reject it, but I had already answered. It turned out to be a lady called Kit Carson from Paradise, TX. She explained that she had a PB cream female 6 week pup come through her resuce and was wondering whether I was interested. It fit my request to a tee, and I was utterly speechless. She also said that she's had about two hundred calls since the pup had been posted on Petfinder, but she had to adopt to someone within driving distance in case there was an issue. I had a million questions and stood in the middle of the store for more than an hour talking to Kit, still disbelieving what happened.

My husband and I own our business, and I work PT, so we closed shop the day after and drove the 5 hours to pick up the pup. After seeing her pic, we decided to name our chowlet Pudding. I have never been so excited in my life. I could not sleep the night before and was nervous all the way to Kit's place, hands sweating and still expecting to wake from my dream.

The moment I saw Pudding for the first time was magical. She was playing with her foster siblings, and came bounding out of grass that was taller than she. She was exactly like a little cotton ball. I scooped her up, she gave me a purple kiss and that was it.

Pudding was barely six weeks old when I picked her up. She was found in a dumpster with staph infections in her paw and tail. I guess it was a BYB who decided Pudding would not be a money making sale and wanted to get rid of their "problem".

Well, Kit had already taken care of the infection by the time we picked Pudding up. The fur all grew back (her tail had a bald pink tip) in about 6 weeks and everything has been just perfect. Pudding is exceedingly gentle with the cats (she's much faster than them but never even mouths or paws them when chasing) and also with our friend's toddlers. They love to have us over just to play with her, and the two-year-olds have pulled her fur, startled her, and crawled all over her without the slight flinch from Pudding. She was cautious and suspicious of other dogs at first, but with much socialization, she now loves everybody and all animals. She is my Pudding from Paradise.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:wink: It was meant to be! What a great story...I'm so glad Pudding is with you!
More pictures coming I hope? :lol:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

Oh my goodness, Pudding is just adorable. Thanks so much for rescuing, especially with some many disappointments first. Oh, and incase no one mentions it, we LOVE pictures, the more the better :lol:
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Yes, yes, more pictures coming. I'll be getting them from another computer and posted them tmr!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

What a fantastic story!! Like Karen said, it was meant to be. :D She is absolutely adorable and I love her name.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
CloudeSkie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudeSkie »

Hi there and welcome!

Just proves the saying "good things come to those who wait"...

What a darling!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Lovely story and what a pretty little chowling. I am glad she has a happy home. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I first saw your banner on another post :shock: What an absolutely ADORABLE lil' Pudding!!! :inlove:
Just proves that GOOD THINGS come to those who wait \:D/
Yes, sounds like it was meant to be!!! Thank You for rescuing this lil' baby!!! =D= =D=

Thanks Sweetpea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

welcome,
and Pudding is adorable.what a pretty little girl :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Pudding is beautiful. Glad you were able to rescue her,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Great story and beautiful baby chow!!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

She is beautiful. We had the same problems when trying to find a puppy. Everytime we would go to look they would have already been adopted by someone else. It can be frustrating but in the end I think you get the puppy meant for you. Pudding is just beautiful and her name is perfect.

Thank you so much sweetpea you are wonderful!!!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

When I was in my early 20's, I saw a huge male Chow that wanted me to adopt him at the pound. I was afraid to adopt a full grown dog of that size, I was worried what I would be getting into. Being a Chow never entered into it for me, just that he was huge, and unknown. One of my life's regrets...

Pudding is so cute. I love her face, so angelic. It sounds like kismet!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

I have goose bumps! It was certainly meant to be!!!
Thanks so much for sharing Pudding's story.
I suppose you have figured out by now, we love
rescue stories!
Pudding is adorable!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrtdwt »

Hi Pudding's mom!

My name is Michelle and I'm in Austin, too. I currently have 2 chows, both cream, Lucy being a rescue who came to us off this board. We've had 3 cinnamon chows in the past who all lived to a long ripe old age. If you are game, I'd love to meet up with another chow owner and your Pudding's so cute, I might have to give her a squeeze or two if she will allow. She looks so much like my Max when he was a puppy.

Michelle
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Your baby is beautiful!! Thanks for choosing a rescue.
Bless your DH for changing his mind and helping you open your home to the chowling. Sometimes DH's can surprise us.

Mine was adamant that we didn't need a dog after we got married. It took ten years before we got the first. A year later we got the second. They've both left this world and we rescued Cinder about 3 years ago. Again he was adamant that one dog was enough. I talked him into fostering and I'm pretty sure it won't be long until he agrees to adopt Teddy, our foster chow.

I absolutely love your banner. More pics please!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

A Warm (Belated) Welcome to cc.org and WOW - what an amazing 'gotcha' (adoption/rescue) story! Pudding's a doll-face. Keep the pictures coming.
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
puddinglove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by puddinglove »

Hi Michelle!

I sent you a PM but don't know if you saw it. Pudding, DH and I would love to meet you. Don't know when, since Thanksgiving is closing in, but PM me and we'll chat!!

Hannah
JAYGOW1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JAYGOW1 »

Awesome story & beautiful chowkid !!
I really miss my purple kisses!!! RIP Bear, my bestest friend EVER !!
7-20-2006

Khon,you were taken WAY too early !
Til we meet again, my friend
3-24-2007