What other breeds are your dogs mistaken for??

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

What other breeds are your dogs mistaken for??

Post by Guest »

I get so annoyed sometimes because of peoples reactions to Chi-Ching. I have had so many people go "of cute! What a nice dog! What kind of dog is that?" and of course, I say, "He is a Chow" and IMMEDIATELY, they take a step back and go, "Oh, a Chow!" Like they are a monster or something, then you have the people who say "I thought they were mean dogs?", and of course I say, "No, only bad owners who do not socialize properly end up with "mean dogs" and that can happen with any breed". And YET, SOMEHOW...EVERYONE, knows Someone with a "mean" chow. You honestly think that they would be on every corner with the amount of people that "know" a mean chow! Grrr.....Sorry, had to rant!

My actual reason for this post was because I also get the people that try to guess what breed he is, they hardly ever get it right!
I have heard Samoyed(most common)
Golden Retriever?
Pomeranian(Yeah, he only weighs 25 pounds too much!)
I was even asked if he was a albino malamute!!!???!! (How they came up with that one I will never know!)
And then, my personal favorite.........from a 6 year old...."Hey mom, look at that German Shepard!" LMAO!!!

You know what is also annoying is when I tell people that he is a chow, is when people then ask me "oh, well is he a mix?" It makes me upset. I think he is beautiful and would no matter what but I also think he looks like a purebred too!

Has any of this ever happened to you??
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

All I ever hear is why do you own a chow and aren't they mean dogs? And my response is the same as yours.... nope, no mean chows, just bad owners. That's a tyrant I could really go off on if it weren't about time for bed. LOL
Nancy and Tai

sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

No not really. I have had a few people looking through the picket fence at them running and barking and asking if they are chows. It's a little hard to get a good look as the pickets are a bit close together.

If the dogs happen to be still like sitting on the top step, people will stop and admire them.

When the pups were small and all got along the mom and 4 pups would attract a crowd! At that house we had the high wrought iron fence painted green so it was much easier to see them. People would stand there and watch like it was a zoo exhibit.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Well when OJ is biting the fence and knocking the pickets out it's a little hard to deny he's a "mean" chow. Like I tell people, he was a rescue that never would have been given a chance anywhere else. He is much calmer now after having him about 7 years. For a long time we treated him like a loaded gun.

Strange how it changes their attitude from "why do you keep a dog like that... to... "that's so nice of you to save him and work with him!" Then they usually ask if I'm afraid of him to which I reply no I'm more afraid of what would have happened to him if we didn't find him!

The up side is he keeps the thieves away!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

With Princess its always "what a beautiful lab" until they see her tongue. But in all fairness she is totally built like a lab. With Gracie its "is that a chow?" followed by the all famous "their mean dogs". And of course, the people who say it have never had one but they know someone who did. The last two times I've had someone tell me they know someone with a mean Chow we talked longer about it and guess what? Both of them admitted the people with the Chows wanted them to be guard dogs. We had one person tell us how great a guard dog they are and tried telling us how to train it to be the perfect guard dog.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

big old grizzlies

Post by Sharons Chows »

Everyone stops us always to comment what beautiful bearlike creatures we have. Then they ask....THE QUESTION.....what are they?
They are gorgeous Chow Chows of course...and of course we always have to listen to somebody who knew somebody else that was bitten by a Chow...and how mean they are.
So hard to believe...especially with our JR...he is the most adorable affectionate little boy and our new Cheyenne is turning into a really sweet and funny liitle girl!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I almost never get negative comments about Chows from strangers. I often get asked what kind of dogs I have. The last time we went to Petsmart, an elderly woman asked if Pip was a black irish setter. Usually she's mistaken as a border collie. As for Lil, what throws people off identifying her as a Chow is the color. Until I got Lily, the only other color I saw was red or black. Most people don't even know chows come in 4 colors. Also, the first time I took Lily in Petsmart, one of the clerks told me she looked just like her beloved chow from her childhood and mugged all over her. Now everytime we go in there if that clerk is working, Lily gets paid homage to her supreme Chowness.
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

I've had someone mistake her for a Keeshond. And, more than a few have asked me if she's part wolf. One kid asked me if she was a bear??? Yeah, I'm just walking a bear on a leash! :roll:

My biggest pet peeve is when they tell me she must be really old cause she's got a grey muzzle and ears, etc. I then tell them, no she's blue, so that's what she's supposed to look like. And, they INSIST they are right and I'm not. :evil:
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

A calm and dignified extra-large black Chow with abundant fur *must* be a miniature Newfie! If you'd tell people otherwise, they'd start backing away slowly...

:)

Newfie:

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

People have thought that Darkwind is a Newfie puppy, that they are both any of the following; Keeshonds, black samoyeds, spitz, husky's, malamutes, and american eskimo dogs, well at least all of the above, except the newfie are related.

And when people say, that chows are "mean" I tell them only if the owners don't understand them...unless it's a would be gangbanger, then I smile and say "yep they are!"

Of course I think that people who know and love chows, (like the folks here) are propably far more assertive than our chowdren...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

kiwani wrote:A calm and dignified extra-large black Chow with abundant fur *must* be a miniature Newfie! If you'd tell people otherwise, they'd start backing away slowly...

:)

Newfie:

And why would they back away from a chow, and not a 120lb or bigger newfie...I would never want to see one of THOSE ticked off about anything! And I don't care what people think, if it's got teeth it can bite, given enough provocation.
Thank you SweetPea!
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

People have never asked me if Diego is another breed than Chow.
But they have asked (Children mostly tho) if he is a Bear, wolf, teddydog, fox etc
A kid really did think he was a mix between Lion and Bear.

Luckely I live in Norway, so no one backs away when I say he is a Chow. :)
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

I'm glad when people back away. You never know who or when any dog might bite someone. Who needs the grief? Neither I nor my dogs have to prove anything to anyone.

I know many dog owners with all different breeds who swear their dog will never bite anyone. Like I said in another thread...people are just idiots! One day any of these dogs may try to teach one of these "idiots" a lesson.
yblanco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yblanco »

I get a lot of, "oh, he looks like a bear or lion. how cute" comments. Kids always want to pet him. Then there are those that just see him and cross the street like if he were about to attack. The funny thing is that Max shows absolutely no interest in anything or anyone when he is outside. All he is looking for is the perfect spot to do his business -- he doesn't even look up if someone crosses in front of him. Same goes with dogs. It's funny to see them going crazy barking across the street with no reaction from Max. And yes, everyone seems to have a story about a Chow - I think it's one of those great urban myths!
Elaina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Elaina »

Everyone mistakes Max-A-Million for a husky or a sammie, until he opens his mouth and that black tongue flies out. Then they back up! "Oh God! A Chow!". Mahayana and Mei-Mei are never mistaken for anything but the great Chow ladies that they are! When we are walking all together we've heard, "How can those folks live with those killer dogs?"

Sixchows, okay....I have to admit it....I kinda like it when they back away. That way I won't get sued if one of them gets stupid, and one of mine feels he/she has to go into protect mode and bite. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Peace and Blessings
Elaina, Max-A-Million, Mei-Mei, Mikko and our Queen...Mahayana
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I must live in a chow loving bubble. As I stated in this thread, I almost never get comments about chows being mean. I had to leave Lily all night at the vets last night because she was spayed. I worried for her because she barks and growls at the slightest provocation, and she will allow strangers to pet her, but she's very selective. When I arrived this morning and asked for my dog, they went on and on about how sweet and friendly she was. One lady asked how much time I spent brushing her, because when she was petting Lily, she couldn't believe all the lush, thick fur! I kept asking if we were talking about the same dog... defiitely no anti-chow attitudes there!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

Krillan was once mistaken for a Shih Tzu, I thought that Krillan was her first dog that she has ever seen. She was like 16 at the time.

Shane
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Pretty much everyone seems to know our fat little furballs are chows, but we have the squishy face kind so I'm not that surprised. We actually get more of the "oh I had the most wonderful chow growing up" than anything else. Kids think Cay is a bear and Chewie is a lion. But evidently don't realize that you shouldn't RUN up to a bear or a lion and stick your face in their face. Ugh

Mandy
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

sixchows wrote:I'm glad when people back away. You never know who or when any dog might bite someone. Who needs the grief? Neither I nor my dogs have to prove anything to anyone.

I know many dog owners with all different breeds who swear their dog will never bite anyone. Like I said in another thread...people are just idiots! One day any of these dogs may try to teach one of these "idiots" a lesson.
I'm glad they don't back away.
Because if they did, it means they are scared of the breed, and what happens when people get scared of a breed?

Everytime that breed is involved in something, they are on the news, then people get more afraid of them.
And eventually that breed is forbidden.
(In Norway, American Staffordshire terrier and some other breeds are illegall because of people being scared of the breed)

And now they are trying to kick out other breeds as well, like the Bull terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier etc. :evil:

And yes, I can say: My Chow does NOT Bite.
Call me an Idiot, but I still mean it.
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Taz
I wasn't calling you an "idiot". I am talking about people who find it necessary to tease animals, poke at them through fences, run up to strange dogs thinking they are approachable w/o knowing anything of that particular animal and getting in their faces.

I also believe that no matter how well one thinks they know or can read their dog regardless of breed, there may come a time when that dog will bite for whatever reasons.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

sixchows wrote:Taz
I wasn't calling you an "idiot"..
No, I didn't say you did. :D
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "run up to strange dogs thinking they are approachable w/o knowing anything of that particular animal and getting in their faces."

---

I agree with you. There's an overall erosion of personal space these days. Maybe it's the cell phone mentality...
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

kiwani wrote: ---

I agree with you. There's an overall erosion of personal space these days. Maybe it's the cell phone mentality...

I think it's more of a basic lack of manners that is so prevasive in the US, not sure about other places...but I've written a couple of essays about this elsewhere. People have lost their respect for other people and other people's space and it this also includes pets. I think what has happened in the US is that some sociologists have put forth the notion of a crowded urban society, like that of Japan, without considering the fact that the Japanese have a very strict code of behavior and ettique that serves as a buffer within their society. The US has never had such a strict code and thus the erosion of the idea of what is personal has caused a less coheisive society in which rudeness and impoliteness rule and personal frustration has become a normal thing.

For those people like us who have dogs that are less tolerant of the invasion of personal space, (no matter the size of the dog, there's a yorkie in my neighborhood who is a case in point), it is even more frustrating because we have to not only protect our dogs but also the idiots who feel they have a right to do anything at anytime short of murder.

Sometimes I want to have a flashing neon sign attached that says, "back away from ME and my chows!" Personally I think a return of a stricter etiquette would do the US much good. It would put some barriers that shouldn't have been dropped, back in place. I'll get off my soap box now. :D
Thank you SweetPea!
bruinsmom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bruinsmom »

My oldest dog Brandi passed away on 5/2/00 of Cushings. Her picture was placed in the gallery section of the following website:
http://www.io.com/~lolawson/cushings/

Three people emailed me offering their condolences and asked what kind of dog she was. I realize it wasn't a great picture of her but, one of them asked if she was a Spitz? I replied to that email and thanked her for her condolences, I informed her she was a Chow. The person emailed me back and stated that it wasn't a Chow.

Wow! People know everything.

Good Grief

Post by Guest »

LOL, I think that she looks like a Chow. I might have guessed possibly a chow mix but only because you can't see the pic real well but definitely Chow.
I have had people say that to me too, I tell people that he is a Chow and then I can hear them as they walk off "that is soooo not a chow, she got ripped off" WHAT!?! GRRR People annoy me! LOL
I even had one person who told me that Koda(Golden Retriever/Chow) was a purebred Golden, I said no, he has got a thicker, harsher coat and that all so obviouse PURPLE tongue. And she sat there and argued with me(Koda was right there and she was looking right at him) she kept telling me how she raised goldens for many years and that he WAS a purebred!! She got all huffy with me because I kept telling her that there was NO WAY that he was purebred. She finally said "whatever" and got up and left.
I just started laughing at how this person knew my dog and his heritage more then me! LOL All I could think about was what kind of Goldens had she been producing? LOL