New Foster - needs name and lots of work

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

New Foster - needs name and lots of work

Post by Boogie and Linda »

We got a new foster chow yesterday. He doesn't have a name yet and we are having a hard time coming up with something for him. We have tried several names but nothing seems to get his attention.

This poor guy is in horrible shape. He is a purebred black chow and was said to be around 7 or so. The poor guy has flea dermatitis so he is missing most of his fur on his back. The fur on the rest of his body is matted to his skin. I bathed him with medicated shampoo for the dermatitis that the vet gave him. I tried to brush him but the little bit of fur that is there I can't get a comb through. I am going to have to get him shaved. :( He is on antibiotics and he has to have eye ointment for entropian. He only weighs 35lbs. and you can see and feel every bone in his body. He looks like an old ragged stuffed animal that is missing all his stuffing. His teeth have been ground down from something.

Besides his physical condition, he is the sweetest little guy. He loves attention. He is fully house trained and crate trained. He doesn't bark. He gets along with other dogs but not cats. He is a little bit food aggressive but that is understandable seeing how he doesn't look like he has had a good meal in quite some time. We had an incident this morning where he finished his food first and went after Boogie's dish. They had "words" and then Boogie let him have his bowl and then Booge ran over took Teddie's. Poor Teddie was hoppping around the yard whining like a little kid. We are seperating them now for feeding.

I have a few questions about having him shaved. Should he wear a sweater or something so he doesn't get cold? He will have to be outside during the day and I am worried about him being too cold. Also, does anyone have any idea on how much it should cost? For some reason things like this seem to cost a lot around here.

Oh and any name suggestions would be appreciated. They were calling him Poofy at the shelter. He is anything but Poofy and he doesn't answer to it at all.
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Bless you and thank you so much for helping this chow boy.

We put a sweater on Cinimmon when she was shaved to keep her from geting to cold. Anyway you can keep him inside durning the day with a crate? If it is a matter of cost maybe some of us could chip in and help. His he from a rescue? Think they may help cover some of your cost for taking this boy into your loving home?

Post some pictures when you can and I will ask the grandkids to come up with some names.

Larry
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Ahw Linda, Bless you for taking him in to foster.

I'm pretty sure cost to shave him would be regular charge at a groomers, ask for a puppy cut. It's what Chinger's had done a while back. It's also similiar to what Tonka has done seasonally. Remember Tonka at ChowFest? His at CF was growing in a few weeks after his inital shave, as a visual reference for you. You can also do a medical shave, which is what PB had at the shelter and it was bare down to her skin. They needed to do that to see what was going on under all the fur she came in. Again, it would seem more $, but shouldn't be. Sometimes some groomers will offer you a discount if they know you are fostering. I got a slight discount for Keiko and for Phoebe - I had her nails trimmed (it was free 'cuz I let them hug her). So I suggest you mention your fellow is a foster.

What I would worry for outside is sunburn or overheating versus the cold. If he lets you, you can try putting a t-shirt on him. Our Lao was given a lion cut accidently and he would put a t-shirt on for me, but once I left, he took it off.

Can you post a photo? With a visual, I can help suggest names for you.

Again, thank you for bringing him into your home. [:D] [:D]
Last edited by Zhuyos mom on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

For some reason, Louie came to mind during the reading of this fellow's story. Bless you for taking on this boy!
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Any grooming schools near you. They sometime have low cost or free services.

Larry
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Ahhh, bless you for taking him.

I like Louie... not sure why though!

I've no idea about price for cutting (did Millie's myslef) but would definately say go for the puppy cut if you can as Millie's grew back just great & she wasn't in need of any clothes :D I got her a t'shirt incase & she gave me a look :shock: That was the end of that!
Last edited by Layla on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you Elodie!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Linda,

I'm sorry to hear of the condition your new foster is in. His former people have incurred some very bad karma.

In regards to warmth, I'm getting Teddy a coat because it is going to get cold here soon. I don't know where you are located, but the lack of insulation is a valid concern.

I do have a couple of name suggestions that I had considered for Teddy before I found out he had a name he responded to: Dante (because he has already been through the 7 circles of hell) and Tolstoy (because he has been through the war and now can find peace). Both certainly much more dignified than Poofy.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

I have never tried to add pictures. I took a few of him yesterday but none we good becaue he wouldn't sit still. I will try and get a better one and post it.

The rescue wil re-imburse me for the grooming or I can use it as a write-off. The reason I was asking is that ever time I need something done for a foster it seems to cost twice as much as it does where the rescue is located. I have no idea how much it will be to shave him. He is practically bald on his back. The fur under his chin and on his chest is dreadlocked. His tail is one dreadlock and his behind is almost bare except for a few dreadlocks.

Lou, it is supposed to be hot here this week so I will try the t-shirt. I think next week we will be back to rain again.

As for the name Louie, that was Boogie's rescue name. That was also my deceased father in-law's name so that is why we changed it. Dante and Tolstoy are certainly nice names. My husband likes Fozzie because he thinks he looks like a muppet. :lol:
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

First of all bless you for taking this chow boy in and giving him the love and attention that he so deserves! I don't know anything about shaved dogs at all so sorry I can't help with you there but I do like to come up with names :D Here are a few

Akins - Egyption for brave
Shakir - Egyption for greatfull
Kaiser - German for king
Schatz - German for little treasure
Zucker - German for sugar
Noir - French for black
Pax - French for peace
Arturo - Italian for bear
Donato - Italian for gift
Faust - Italian for lucky

Thats all that I have found so far that I like well at least ones that had an explination on what the name meant. If you can't tell I do like somewhat exotic names too lol. I also kinda like Fozzie! I used to watch the muppet show religiously when I was a kid!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Boogie and Linda wrote: My husband likes Fozzie because he thinks he looks like a muppet. :lol:
Oh, I like the name Fozzie as well. Goes along with the "ie" of your two boys - Teddie and Boogie! And a very welcoming name when he's ready for adoption. See if he responds to it. Oh, Miss PB asked if you could add "Bear" after Fozzie. I told her I would ask you. Which reminds me, what about the fellow on "Happy Day's" who always wore a black leather jacket, Henry Winkler's character, Arthur Fonzarelli aka "Fonzie" for short.

If you want to send me a photo through my personal e-mail addy, I'll post it for you, Linda.
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I like Fozzie Bear. It's cuddly sounding and hopeful. How awesome are you guys for taking in a rescue. I have a lot of respect and admiration for those of you who are so actively involved in the rescue. I know nothing about hair cutting or any of the issues you are having and am horrible at naming dogs. Sorry.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

I was going to name Sophie "Fagin" when I thought she might be a boy... she had a talent for theft, it seemed appropriate.

Thanks for taking in your foster boy, you always seem to find room for one more.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

"My husband likes Fozzie because he thinks he looks like a muppet."

I vote Fozzie or Raven (Black) or I was thinking about naming a Chow Mecca, I knew a girl named Mecca, I always felt kind of spiritual when I called her name. I guess Raven and Mecca would be female names.

You should talk to the groomer first before you use the word shaved, shaved to me sounds like Completely shaven like the Chow with the razor burns in another post, I can't see why any chow should have to be shaved down to the skin, It seems kind of dangerous to be doing that.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Alfie's nickname is 'The Fonze' / Fonzie bear :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Linda, I am sure he will flourish under your care. I can't add to what the others said. Please keep use posted.

David
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Grooming like vet fees are different depending on where you live and what they can charge. Some look for a minimal profit others will charge as much as you will pay.

You can you photobucket for photos or just follow the directions under the first sticky in photos. I am really excited to see him. Send him lots of love from us. I know you are already showering him, but a little more can't hurt, right?
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bless your heart for taking this little guy in!

I've heard that starving dogs will sometimes chew on rocks and dirt, so that may be why his teeth are gnawed down. You could call him ROCKY...he sounds like a fighter (in a good way).

I like Louie too...like Louie Armstrong.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I like Fozzie (Bear) the best too, but I also like Louie and Fagin.

The poor sweetheart, it sounds liek he's been through so much. I'm glad he has you all now. Give him lots of hugs from us.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks all for the help. We are calling him Fozzie Bear for right now. He is not very interested in any names so I am still not sure if it will stick. We took Boogie, Teddie, and Fozzie out for a walk this afternoon. It went okay. Teddie doesn't walk in a straight line so he kept body slamming the poor little guy.

I tried adding some pictures but I couldn't get it to work. Lou, I e-mailed them to you so hopefully you can add them to this post. He was hard to photograph. He didn't want to look at the camera. I got a few of his face but took more of his body to show how bad his fur is.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Linda,

I understand about the difficulty you are having taking pictures. You may have noticed the first set I posted of Teddy he was always asleep. That's because it was the only time he would stay facing me! It should get better as he becomes more comfortable with you and his environment.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Making his ChowChow.org debut... let's give him a round of =D= ...
hhheeerrree'zzz.... FOZZIE BEAR!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwwwwwwwww what a sweet face he has...looks like a pup. Bless his heart! His hair will grow back and he will drive all the ladies wild!! :wink:
redangie24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redangie24 »

Now that I see him I think he lives up the the short term name he should keep it!!
Have a Chowfastic Day!!
cleopatra20043
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cleopatra20043 »

What an adorable little face!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness he is absolutely adorable! Again bless you for taking him in and helping him out on his road to a better life. Fozzie does seem to fit but I also still like Zucker - German for sugar after seeing him. No matter what name you choose it is going to take a while for him to get used to so don't stress on him not responding right away he will once he hears it enough or as a typicall chow chow will respond when he wants to to the name lol!

Julia
Thank you Sweetpea!!

A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

He has such a handsome face, once the ickies gone out of his fur, once it's grown back, he's going to be one handsome little dapper of a chow,
Karin
KARIN &
chowMIKKI