I'm a foster mom, now and to my first ever boy!!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

I'm a foster mom, now and to my first ever boy!!!

Post by chow fancier »

American Animal Rescue Society, http://www.AARSociety.org, had posted an urgent need for a foster for a blind chow from TN. He's a male 5yrs old. Has been kept on a short chain outside all of his life even though they have acres of land. The owners were going to throw him out!!!

He may never have been in the house and He may never have been to the vet. In addition to the blindness, his eyes are infected and he may need the chow chow eye lift, he was matted and tick infested, but PTL heartworm and fecal parasite negative.

Yesterday he was neutered, vaccinated, bathed, shaved and I brought him, his antibiotic eyedrops and his frontline home from the rescue's vet, a 2 hour trip. He is the sweetest boy, he acts like I'm his BFF already. His tail is wagging at both Cinder and I.

I know I've seen pictures of rescued pets that were shaved, can anyone tell me how long till his coat grows in? I worry about the lack of insulation as fall is upon us and it should be getting colder soon.

Poor little boy is a little anxious and he runs around running into things if left to his own devices, so I've been working at teaching him where the fence is in the yard and the furniture placement on the first floor. (Stairs seem to be a new thing so we three are staying down here for now).

This is my first boy and I'm wondering if it is normal for him to be wanting to lick his stitches from yesterday's operation. When he's awake it seems to be on his mind constantly. I don't remember the girls having the same obession when they were spayed. Any ideas on diverting his attention for more than a few minutes? I think an E-collar is the last resort, because it would reduce his sensory input: he feels his way around with his nose, gently when calm.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

I can't really give you advice - I just wanted to say

Thank you! for rescuing this Chow Chow =D=
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Bless your heart!!! You actually brought tears to my eyes.
The hair growth depends on whether they shaved to the skin (which I imagine they did). It will take a while to grow in, but it eventually will. I had Bear shaved once and it grew back nice and thick...I'll never do that again though.
The licking seems to be a male thing. When Tod was neutered I thought he'd lose his mind trying to get at his stitches. Samantha was just operated on and shaved last month and she never gave it a second thought. I took an e-collar from the vet just in case and never had to use it. With Tod, I used an e-collar, but only when he was out of my site. It took about a week for him to get over wanting to lick the incision.
Please post some pics when you get the chance. We love pics!!
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

you are a wonderful chowmom for rescuing this sweet boy!I think I saw him posted somewhere?
good luck and god bless O:)
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Wow, how wonderful for everyone, I have 2 blind cockers, if you have any questions please pm me

Dogdad
debraschow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by debraschow »

Oh wow, congrats!!! We just lost our blind chow after 13 years and we're kind of thinking of getting another special needs chow, and maybe we still will, in a year or two. The stitches thing, I think you are going to find in the older animals that they are a little bit more aware of the "loss". You might be able to try a bit of bitter apple right on the stitches or to the side just not on the incision.

And yes you are going to find yourself thinking ahead for him. You don't move furniture, leave the yard the same as much as possible, keep all their water and food in the same spot. Stairs are treacherous, but John taught Hobo in a day, but we were still carefull and used the child barriers. Also open outside stairwells, or the basement window openings. You just have to look around and think about what could get them into trouble.

But you will be blessed and it sounds like you already are with the most devoted and loving guy ever. It is an amazing bond. Our vet used to call Hobo the most courageous dog he had ever met. We let him be as independent as possible. They also need a lot of routine too. Anyways, congrats!!! All the best!!!
Debra: Hobo and Milo's Mom
Banner by Sweetpea!
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

First, congratulations on your new foster...it sounds like your new boy is definitely in good hands.

My new girl Fiona was shaved down to the skin at the end of July, beginning of August. While her fur is still no where near how long it was before, she has a nice thick, plush coat already. I'm sure she wouldn't be able to handle cold weather quite yet like my other chow Tess, but she wouldn't freeze either. Her fur is about probably about 3 inches long now and growing really quickly.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Kingalls: I appreciate the thank you; however, I believe we get way more than we give, when we give to these chows. Teddy is the fourth Chow to touch my life. My first one lost her sight at 4 and has long passed to the next life, as has the second. Cinder, my first rescue chow, has been with me over 3 years now and is as close to perfect as she could be without being boring.

Fillyok: Thanks for the input. I think I will have to resort to the E-collar. Wish I'd admitted it earlier in the day!

Jacqui: You did see him posted on this site, I think chows needing a home.

Dogdad and debraschow: I had a blind chow for 9 years, she lost her vision to SARDS at age 4. Thanks for sharing your expertise, as well.

At present we are only fostering. Only if Cinder decides she wants to keep him could this be his forever home. She is not sure about other dogs in her house, but so far is just ignoring him.

I haven't gotten the knack of posting photos here, but here is Cinder's dogster page. (His photos are still in the camera and probably will be for a couple more days.)

Jerilyn

ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

What a great story. I wish there were more happy endings.
Bless you!
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

You are another angel to add to our list.

Thank you for taking in this beautiful boy!

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thank you for rescuing this chowboy!

The licking should pass withon a couple of days. Special Dark tried to lick for onlya couple of days. We just tried to keep him busy and said "eh" when he tried to lick and then got his attention focused on us by just talking to him and petting him.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

OMG! What a night!

Post by chow fancier »

Last night we had a horrible setback, Teddy was screaming, spinning in circles and scooting his butt across the floor. I couldn’t calm him down for anything. I rushed him to the emergency vet (luckily just 5 minutes away), he screamed and paced through the trip and I had to carry him in (all 65 lbs of him) because he just wanted to go in circles when I put him down on the ground. They gave him a sedative, just so they could examine him, then a hefty dose of benadryl to calm down the razor irritation from his shaving which is showing up more and more as time passes. Instead of the apricot boy with a red head I brought home, he was almost all pink, and some spots were actually open and weeping a little. I know Chows are known for sensitive skin, but this surprised me. In addition, his incision had become inflamed swollen and red. It’s amazing how fast that happened; I had been inspecting it every hour or two all day. He’s wearing the E-collar and I have antibiotics, anti-inflamatory meds, prescription strength benadryl and topical antibiotic/steroid spray for him. Needless to say his vet bills have been quite significant. If any of you can see free to help out, American Animal Rescue Society would certainly appreciate it.

You can donate through the website http://www.AARSociety.org
Donations are tax deductible.

Just to clarify, he was not just whining last night/he was screaming/yowling and turning in circles both in and out of his crate. He had some sort of inflammatory reaction and his skin was red and swollen. His incision was so swollen that it even opened up a little.

I’ve had dogs all my life, including three other chows and I have never heard such horrible sounds coming from a dog. He was hysterical with itching/discomfort and anxiety. The e-collar made his confusion and anxiety all the worse for a period of time, but I found a spot (my entry) where it is big enough for him to turn around, but small enough that he has to rest. (It catches on the bars on the crate, on the furniture and on doorways and terrifies the little guy.)

The vet last night was concerned that his incision may already be infected and the inflammation needs to be under control for it to have a chance to heal. The sedative wore off after we were home for an hour and he lay down whining most of the night. Very little sleeping went on here. Its been better this morning. Both chowdren are exhausted and sleeping now.

Here's Teddy!
and Cinder!
Last edited by chow fancier on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerilyn

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I know that sound I went through that scream of pain once with Pekoe and a dislocated sholder, That is one sound you never want to hear coming from your Chow, talk about panic.

Did they say what was causing the skin problems or just give you pain meds.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Thanks Jeff. You are right, you don't ever want to hear that.

The vet said it was an inflammatory reaction to a very close shave(like the most extreme razor burn you can imagine), and having the skin touching things it never had before. The benadryl is an antihistamine that blocks the inflammation process and between it, the topical spray and the oral NSAIDS he looks much better now. The antibiotics she choose will help fight any infection and also have an antiinflamatory property.
Jerilyn

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Chows are prone to skin problems anyway so along with the Close shave, the razor burn and most likely some sun burn, Chows can burn easily with just a small time in the sun I would look at the diet also, No Corn, no wheat buy a food for sensitive skin one of the higher brand foods. I don't want to say try Nutro for sensitive skin, I don't want to turn your thread into a food war.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I'm sorry that happened to Teddy and you.you feel so helpless when they are in pain.you are doing so much for that poor guy.
thinking of you and wishing you all the best and a good nights sleep :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

I also feel so bad for this little boy. Did the vet shave him this close?!!! Poor boy had enough problems to start with.

I hope he feels better soon.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Poor Teddy and poor you. I'm so sorry this is happening.

When Bear had his eye surgery and whined all night the first night, I just laid next to him and soothed him. That was the only thing that helped.

With Tod's neutering, I put cool washcloths on the inside of his legs where it was shaved. He seemed to like that.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

The groomer at the vet did the shaving. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I suspect they had no idea how sensitive his skin is. When I first picked him up there were only a few small red spots that I attributed to tick removal. It took time for the inflammation to show up. And you are right, he has been through enough.

We all had a good three hour nap this afternoon, went for a walk and he ate his dinner and took his pills (in liverwurst of course) and is sleeping again. His skin is looking much better and his anxiety is much improved. I think we will all get a full nights sleep tonight. I have to go to work tomorrow, but grandma will come take care of the granddogs midday and he already is happy to see her too. He made friends with my next door neighbors already, running right up to the fence to be petted when I was talking with them. I thought Cinder was the most social Chow ever, but he has her beat.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

How scary that must have been for you and for him. I am glad to hear he is feeling better. I didn't know that razor burn could show up like that so long after being shaved. I was thinking that maybe there was something on the floor or the carpet that may have caused the reaction. Hopefully his skin will be better soon.

I have been following your post closely. My family and I are supposed to be getting a new foster on Saturday that is in similar condition to your Teddy. This will be our first special needs chow.

By the way, he looks like a total sweetheart in the picture. And great job on saving him. =D=
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

thanks to everyone for their good wishes and great suggestions.

Just a quick update, we had a restful night, both the furkids had breakfast and are now sleeping again!. I on the other hand, have to go to work. Teddy is getting around very well in the yard, eating better and learned stairs yesterday (at least the four from the back porch to the yard). Inside he still gets under the dining room table and chairs and gets stuck if I am too slow to call him back. He is getting really good at come and sit as well.

And another pitch for American Animal Rescue Society for making all this possible, saving a chow that was going to be discarded several states away from here: The emergency vet bill alone was over $300 and he may still need additional care. They are in need of donations to cover his growing vet bills and care so if anyone can spare even a dollar...any donations are greatly appreciated. You can donate directly through the website http://www.AARSociety.org or please contact Joanna jkonca@aarsociety.org for a mailing address. Remember all of your donations are tax deductible!

Search the web and Help AARS
Don't google it, goodsearch it.
Try http://www.goodsearch.com
Help raise funds one penny at a time! (1 search = 1 cent)
Jerilyn

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm so glad he's feleing better. Poor guy, that must have been so scary. I hope you are all able to get some rest over the weekend.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Things are much improved since my last update. Almost all the razor burn is gone. His incision is only slightly inflamed and does not have any drainage. He does still want to lick at the site, so when I can't watch him the e-collar goes back on.

He is sleeping through the night.

He is getting around the house and the yard well. Cinder has put him in his place when he gets too "nosey" with her, but only with a little warning growl and he backs right off.

DH and I walked the two of them together around the neighborhood this weekend and Teddy made many new human friends. I don't think anyone ever told him Chow's were supposed to be aloof. He goes right up to any voice he hears wagging his tail and waiting to be petted.

Of course, he won my heart before I got him home the first day. But to my surprise, he has also won DH's. He may end up part of the family, forever. I have some more pics and will post them tomorrow.
Jerilyn

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Did they say if anything can be done about his eye site?

ImageImage
coleywoley
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coleywoley »

I just now read your posts, how I missed them is beyond me. I am so touched by what you guys are doing that I have tears in my eyes. I can't imagine how scary that first night was and I think you are awesome for giving poor Teddy a chance at a happy doggie life. You guys are amazing.