Going nuts...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kingalls

Going nuts...

Post by kingalls »

Every now and then Mr. Nahkohe will go nuts with excitement. He becomes this 60 lbs plus white tornado :-x - tearing through the house. He gets wild-eyed and runs from one end of the room to the other. If it happens outside, he runs about and body slams against the sliding glass door or the wicker bench. Sometimes he will run into his "nest" and spin around in circles on his doggie pillow and do an excited pawing at the pillow with his front paws.
It doesn't happen all the time but it seems that if we have missed going out for an evening walk/run - all his pent up engergy that would have been used on the evening outing is being exhibited in an outburst of "going nuts"...once he gets it out of his system, he is calm and normal.
Do any of your Chows do this?
Karen
kumathechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kumathechow »

kuma does this too. probably once a night. she will run from one end of the apartment to the other. when she reaches one end, she'll put on her brakes, grunt, and turn around. i don't dare try to stop her, she's possessed when she does this! :shock:
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Brisco does this exact thing, it's 2 minutes of laughter from my wife and I.
This probably only happens once a week or so now that we have Dixie but before he had her to play with it was almost daily. I've got it on video and anyone who watches or witnesses it can't believe that he can run that fast. Then it's all over just as quick as it started.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Taz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Taz »

Diego does that too.
Runs around, like he is possessed, and with a BIG smile on his face. Lol
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes Milly and Mabel do it almost every evening just before we go to bed! :)
The way they normally strutt round, you would not believe the speed they can pick up round the house! :D
It is so funny. and if we make a grab for them and say "Goin' to get your knickers" - that even sends them off faster and in the summer when the back door is open they will speed round the hous, into the garden, all round the garden back in the house and then repeat it all again with great bit Chow grins on their faces. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Judy,
That is too funny. We tell our little girl Dixie to "pull her britches up" all of the time. There is something about her back end that makes it look like baggy nickers or britches. When they run around we clap our hands behind them and say, gonna gitcha gitcha gitcha and they tuck in the butt and even go faster.
No matter where you go, there you are.
wrat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wrat »

yep same here full bore running and a body slam into something it is quite the sight
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

The "manic zoomies" are a way the body discharges excess copper to keep things in balance. When there is a period of inactivity, copper can build up in tissues, and this build up of copper starts a chemical conversation, which jump starts the adrenals, and the resulting bursts of manic (raptuous excitement) activity is what actually releases copper from tissues and binds it.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matthew, I know exactly what you mean. They do tuck their bottoms in and run at the speed of light. And the rear ends do look like have big baggy knickers on.
Kiwani, that is interesting about copper levels - we have often wondered why they have this sudden spurt because it happens almost every evening.
It is fun though! :)
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Rogan does this, usually when I get home from work. Only for me though, never for my husband. :roll: 3 minutes of excitement and then he remembers he's a chow. Proper chows simply do not behave that way! :shock: He regains his dignity and moves forward. :lol:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "Kiwani, that is interesting about copper levels - we have often wondered why they have this sudden spurt because it happens almost every evening."

---

Well, you are living in an area with less intense sunlight, so that damps down metabolism, and would be part of the equation, (causing them to dust off their bloomers more often)

:wink:
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

My two do this every evening... well not chewie right now - although I think if he could, he would! I love it. Seeing our fat little Cayenne running around is so funny. She only lasts about 4 minutes. We could keep chewie going (with a lot of encouragment "go go go!") for 15 mintues straight. And that smile while running is to die for.

Mandy and the furkids
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I miss the days when Zhu would do his chow run! He was excellent at it and his precision was amazing. Like a rocket! I do get to delight in Miss Pooh Bear's chow run. We've made it interactive where I can join in. I put my hands on my waist and jump once and then she falls flat where she's at so she can take a breath before she takes off again. We do this twice and her chow run is complete for the evening. Don't know about your chows, but mine do this the chow run after their last BM for the evening.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe does her 2 minute run around the house about once aday or if I leave her for more then a few minutes when she see's me she will run around in circles. Pekoe's become alot more playful lately and running around more, she's even paying attention to other dogs now, if she see's another dog she barks at them then gets down like she wants to play but either the dog or the owner (mostly the owner) is afraid of her so they hurriedly walk off like they didn't notice. When we are out walking and i say, gonna get Peks, she takes off or acts like she's going to run just to please me.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Lou, I know what you mean about precision.
M & M car run at the speed of light and never bump into a thing. They can skid round the garden at a tremendous speed. The greenhouse is at the end of the garden in a corner with about a 2.5 ft. gap between the back and one side and the boundary hedges.
They can race down towards it - sharp right turn - up the back - sharp right hand turn - up the side to reappear then round the garden - behind Isabelle's old Wendy House - round the shed into the back door, through the kitchen into the sitting room - through into the hall - sharp right hand bend - up the hall - sharp left hand turn into our bedroom - onto our bed sharp turn and off our bed - straight through the dining room door into the sitting room - through to the kitchen and out into the garden again. :D
I absolutely creases us up - and then if we make a grab and try to get their pants it almost doubles their speed. :lol: Amazing.

Yes, Kiwana, we live in the UK and sunlight is at a premium - certainly at this time of the year. Milly gets very depressed this time of the year, especially if there has been no sunshine. If we have a sunny day and we do sometimes in the winter, she perks up but sometimes she worries us as she appears to get really down. Mabel does not seem to be affected so badly.

I must get my camcorder out in the spring Matthew and film them!
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "we live in the UK and sunlight is at a premium - certainly at this time of the year. Milly gets very depressed this time of the year, especially if there has been no sunshine."

---

Maybe you'd consider getting her a lightbox. They come in various sizes. Unless there is enough intense light, the body can't *click-off* the night-time brain chemistry (melatonin) which helps us sleep. So it ends up being secreted in the daytime too.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Sharon and Alan here.

JR does one of his "runs" every few weeks or so since he gets a really good "walkout" each night.
Around and around the dining table he goes .....up the stairs and down, through the kitchen, living room and then repeats it all about 5 more times. He is like a speeding bullet... and we still laugh so much...he is such a sight.
Well...today he did his 1st run since Cheyenne has joined our family and she thought it looked like great fun and started to run after him in her clumsy way...she still hasn't mastered the stairs very well. Poor little girl...seems in her 1st 3 1/2 yrs of life that she didn't get the opportunity to do much. But she sure had fun today with JR and hopefully everday will be a new adventure and learning experience. She looks so much prettier now that she has lost the pallor of the pound!
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

When Nanuk gets his big bursts of energy in the house, we all (My husband,daughter and myself ) stand around the pool table(yes we have a pool table in my living room) evenly spaced and egg him on. Every time he passes on of us in his wild frenzy he goes even faster. He thinks he is the fastest dog on the planet and just loves the attention at the same time. What a riot he can be, I wouldn't trade him for anything!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

:lol: and I thought this was just my Mr. N...he is quite accurate, too. At one end of the family room is a glass curio cabinet and a recliner. He can run toward it full speed ahead and manage to make a sharp right followed by another right turn without running into the TV. One of the first times he did this I mistakenly got down low to try and catch him before he got near the cabinet...talk about feeling like a bowling pin! Now if he starts up we jump up and get the sliding glass door open so that he can burst outside.
:D
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

OK, I have to join in now since it seems it's yet another chow thing. :wink: While Kodi doesn't do regular 'bursts', when she does (typically summer and spring; good weather outdoors in the back yard), I call it steeplechasing! The speed, accuracy and stop and/or turn on a dime or a leap up and over things, is like I've never seen in another dog of ours or any for that matter! Amazing, it is!
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
Debbie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Debbie »

This funny running is what I really enjoyed about Bear and see the same running in Bones - as described usually a short speedy wild run around the yard. I shout at the children - get on the deck - he's doing his mad dog run! and we all watch andenjoy. This summer we gave Bones a carrot from the garden which he threw up in the air with his mouth and then caught it or dropped it, pawed it and then did his mad dog run and then returned to the carrot, lied down and ate it. Who needs dog toys with that kind of fun play. Bones got about 5 dog toys from family for Christmas and has not even looked at any or paid any attention when I put them right on his back when he is lying down - simply and snobbily ignores my attempts at play.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

We've only seen Lily do this a few times. The first time she was when she was first home with us. We were sitting in the living room and she started running a figure 8 from the far end of the living room through the kitchen, and back. What amazed me was her kitchen turnaround was under the table with the chairs pushed in. She never slowed down, and never stumbled on the chair cross-braces! We just picked our feet up off the floor and watched in amazement.
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda runs through the house like lightening too. I just call them "dog fits". LOL It doesn't last long, but it's like he gets this spurt of energy and off he goes.... 3-5 minutes worth and then he plops himself down on the floor and goes to sleep. Like he wore himself out. LOL
Nancy and Tai