Just need to tell someone

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Just need to tell someone

Post by Salandra »

I know it's not a big deal, everyone goes through it. But I just need to tell someone who understands.

Jasmine is having entropion surgery today and I'm a basket case. I've had dreams of her dieing and I'm really freaked out.
She's my only source of companionship; I don't have any humans in my life.

My kids aren't around and my parents think "she's just a dumb dog and I shouldn't spend money I don't have on her especially for surgery."
They don't understand at all.

I go pick her up after 3:00 this afternoon. I'll be so glad when I have her back with me.

Just had to say it out loud I guess. I know she will be ok.
~ Sally
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh, I understand. It is scary when your pet goes into surgery. I know how you feel, worrying about Butters could be a full time job. There is no such thing as just a dog when it comes to our chows. My husband has pulled that on me once or twice "he is just a dog" He now knows better. Hang in there Jasmine will be home in no time and all will be well!!!! HUGS :D
SweetPea Rocks!!
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Just need to tell someone

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

[quote="Salandra"]....She's my only source of companionship; I don't have any humans in my life....

quote]
Oh Sally, I hope all goes well. There have been so many chowlings on here that have had entropian surgery. Just think good thoughts ok. And you have humans in your life.. you have us. And you certainly have me and you can email me anytime. I don't have a lot of humans in my life either...Ok.. I have 5 kids :-) but I know what you mean. Seems no matter how bad your jokes are, or what your hair looks like today or what mood in you are in, your fur kids love you, and pick you up. Unconditional...Hugs,
j72
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by j72 »

((((((((((HUG))))))))))))

I think everyone here knows what you are going thru... it really will be fine, but until you have your baby back with you it can't feel fine!
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sally,

I understand what you are saying. It's your baby and you are just being the concerned chowmom!
Colonel has had entropion surgery, actually 3 times.
My stomach was in knots and I was concerned that he would
associate me with the discomfort and hate me forever!
Fortunately, Colonel didn't stress as much as me. :roll:
Hang in there honey, your baby will be fine.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

No humans in your life? What are we, chopped liver? Your baby will be fine. Your parents are from a different time, heck, I bet they didn't even fix your childhood pets. I know mine didn't. Pay them no mind. Let us know when she is all coned up. You are right we all worry when our chowdren go under the knife.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Well, Sally, I told you my story about Sophie just getting her teeth cleaned. I was a wreck, too. She will be home with you soon, and you will be oh so glad you got it over with. It'll be a whole new world for her, not to have that constant irritation.

Hugs
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Awwww...it will be ok. I completely understand. When Kody had his first cancer surgery my dad rolled his eyes and couldn't believe that I would spend that kind of money on a dog. Some people just don't understand. Part of the reason I found this site was because I needed to 'be' somewhere that people would fully understand what I was going through when I lost my baby July 31st. My husband and friends have been great but you can just see in their eyes that they don't get it. People on here do get it whether you've suffered a loss or your baby is having surgery or just having chow-doggie issues. I'll be sending good thoughts your way and please let us know when your baby is home safe and sound.
Laura
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

When you go to pick her up and see she is ok the release of all that tension is like a happy drug you will have the best afternoon and night you ever had. When I use to see Pekoe walking out of the hospital, what a relief, its like every problem you have went away all at one time. to bad they can't market that feeling what a drug that would be.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Oh Sally
I know how you feel. Jasmine will be fine.....and she knows how much you love her.

JR and Cheyenne are 2 of the most important things in my life and I just love them so much and they love me no matter what.

Sharon

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Sally love, just talk - we are all here for you and I am sure she will be ok. We are all wrecks when something serious happens to our chows but she will be ok - you see and don't worry what anybody says - you are getting the surgery done - she is your baby. Hugs from us here. :) [:D] [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh Sally, we understand, we're all here for you!! It's traumatic when they have to stay at the vet without us. :(

I hope you do post some pics of her when she is "all coned up" (to borrow a brilliant expression from Auddymay!). Give her a huge kiss and hug from us when you get her home!

Jeff you are so right about when we get them back, it's euphoria at its best. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Oh, I think we all understand...having our furkid going in for surgery or having any kind of ailment is stress for us Chow parents. Jazzy will be so happy to be home with you again! Hope she heals quickly.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I'm so sorry for your stress and hope your baby is safe and home soon.

I'm freaking about just taking Charlie for his annual tomorrow and I'll be with him. So trust me, we are all with you in spirit and conversation.
courtsey of Sweetpea
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

I hope everything went well for Jasmine today. Anything with the dogs makes me nervous. I'm a pretty positive person, but that "worse case scenario" stuff is always floating in the back of my mind.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Jasmine!!!
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I just saw this & hope that Jasmine is back with you & looking peeved about the cone. I always felt that Millie was okay after all of her puppy tacking & then the surgery when she ran into my legs & I knew that there would be a bruise from the cone :wink:

It's the worse feeling when you leave them & the bestest when you get them back :D
Thank you Elodie!
Salandra
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Salandra »

Auddymay wrote:No humans in your life? What are we, chopped liver?
:oops: sorry :oops:

It was a wonderful feeling to see her walk out of the back room, even though she was rather shaky doing so, it was good to see her. Ah, some mental relief!

Once I got her home she stumbled out of the car, I couldn't pick her up and she laid on the driveway until she could get up again. Then stumbled on the stairs and her stitching started bleeding - of course I freaked out.
She has been panting so hard I was afraid she'd hyperventilate or something. After about 4 hrs she's stopped the frantic breathing and has started whining.

I don't have her coned yet because she is still stumbling around. I had to pick one up at PetCo because the vet didn't have one large enough. I did this way before I got her so I'd be prepared. riiiiiiight.

At home I went to get the cone and what do you think... The stupid thing doesn't have any snaps on it!
So here I am, having to take a drugged up dog back out to get the cone exchanged. On the ride to petco she bumped her eye on the door and I thought I'd loose her out the window she yelped and jumped so high. Ended up in the back seat cowering and crying. :oops: I felt so bad. So the gal at PetCo got yelled at :twisted:

Ug. Had to vent there. I hope she forgives me :cry:
~ Sally
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Sally, Hang in there, we all know what you are feeling, she will be fine, she is just waling up from the anestesia, in a few days she will be back to her old self. You should have told you how you felt earlier, most of us have been through a surgery or 2 or 3 or 4. We can tell you what to expect

David
OriginalRecipe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OriginalRecipe »

Salandra wrote: Ug. Had to vent there. I hope she forgives me :cry:
Ohhh poor dear... Well I am sure both will forgive you. I'm so happy that you have her back. And I am sure she'll be so happy to SEE you all the better when her eyes heal.
:-)
hugs,
To look toward the future we must understand the past.
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I'm so sorry it's been such a rough day. Here's hoping tomorrow is a nice day. :)
courtsey of Sweetpea
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Sally,

What a dreadful day you have had? It can be difficult to
handle our chowkids when they are still drowsy from sedation. I put a halter on Colonel and basically held him steady while he walked. Tomorrow will be a much better day. I put anti-biotic ointment in Colonel's eye for the first two days. It seemed to help, but then after the first two days, the stitches needed to be able to dry up (disintegrate) as the skin heals.
(((Hugs)))
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
cheriekynb
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: Nor Cal - LOL, or Wine Country as the natives call it.

Post by cheriekynb »

Just wanted to send a BIG hug to you.. (((hugs))) to Sally and Jasmine :)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

She should be out of that drugged stage by morning, she might be a little tense and acting wierd now because she knows something isn't right. Pekoe has pased back and forth for hours after anesthesia she knew something wasn't working right. Next time she is sedated you might want to ask some questions about sedatives and anesthesia.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hope you are both feeling better this morning! [:D]
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

I totally and completely understand where you are coming from. Anesthesia always worried me. As a matter of fact, because Mrs.Tu was so old, her last surgery was done under local. They use fabulous anesthetic medications now that I am sure your baby will be fine and will be so happy to see you when you pick your baby up. Believe me,I am one worried chow mommy and worry about everything so I completely understand you. My thoughts are with you and your baby now and through recovery.
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...