Dog Fancy

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dog Fancy

Post by pfordeb »

I didn't see another post yet, but I got my Dog Fancy today that has the feature about chows. Didn't make the centerfold (that honor belongs to Shih Tsus) but there are some nice pictures and what seems to be a fairly good description. Anyone know the people mentioned?
courtsey of Sweetpea
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

PS -- I don't know if the color on my magazine was faded, but all the chows featured in dog fancy have VERY light purple tongues. :?
courtsey of Sweetpea
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Deb, I wanted to pick up my copy but when I got to Borders I saw the September issue and it said the Octiber issue won't go sale until September so thsoe of us without subscriptions have to wait. :( I can't wait until September to see the chows in the issue. :D
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Deb, I wanted to pick up my copy but when I got to Borders I saw the September issue and it said the Octiber issue won't go sale until September so thsoe of us without subscriptions have to wait. :( I can't wait until September to see the chows in the issue. :D
That expalins why I can't find a copy of it. Thanks for explaining chowfrnd :oops:
Thank you Elodie!
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Oops, sorry -- really I'm a secret agent for Dog Fancy out to get everyone interested in subscribing :lol: :lol: . Actually, that is the only magazine I read anymore, it's not perfect (at least 1/3 is ads for kennels, which is helpful, but I'm looking more for articles). I'm trying to think if there's an easy way to save it and send a copy of the article? I wonder if it's online? Hope you can get it soon.

Debbie
courtsey of Sweetpea
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

I did not see that Dog Fancy, but I do subscribe to Bark Magazine, which is great!

Does anyone read that, too?
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I haven't seen Bark, I'll have to look for it. But a friend subscribes to Whole Dog Journal and lends me copies sometimes. That's really good.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I like Bark. I tend to read them all in the vets office though :lol:
Thank you Elodie!
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Does anyone have any info on "ChowLife" which is, apparently, an on-line magazine? I may be wrong, but I got an e-mail from a friend who said that a chow of a mutual friend is in the Fall 2007 issue of Chow Life...
AngelsMom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AngelsMom »

Bark is fun... It's printed on recycled paper, too!!

I've never head of that Chow one... will have to check it out!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I got it today at Borders!!! It could stand to be longer, but then again I'd love the whole thing about chows! :D I think I've seen MoJazz in the Eukenuba shows on animal planet. If that's not where, I know the name sounds familiar from somewhere.

I've only just skimmed it, but I saw the little blurb that tells you to ask the breeder about parent temperaments, etropion, OFA cert on mom and dad hips, CERF certs on the mom and dad's eyes, etc. I was very impressed that it said that, that's cool!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Chowlife is only available through mail as far as I know, but you can order it online, just search for Chowlife and it will pop up.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

[quote="chowfrnd88"]I got it today at Borders!!! It could stand to be longer, but then again I'd love the whole thing about chows! :D [quote]

Me too! The only thing I'd take up with them was saying that chows do best as only dogs..... Seeing now content Millie was with Milo & how she is missing him now confirms that (mine anyway) they do well in pairs.
Thank you Elodie!
luvchows

Chow Life Magazine

Post by luvchows »

Here is the website for Chow Life Magazine:
http://www.ChowLife.com

This is the official magazine of the Chow Chow Club, Inc., the national breed club recognized by the American Kennel Club to represent the Chow Chow in the United States. CHOW LIFE is published quarterly and contains articles of interest to exhibitors, breeders and judges, including educational materials and excellent pictorials of members' Chow Chows. For the prospective Chow owner, it serves as a valuable tool to locate a show or companion puppy as well as specific information on Chows. CHOW LIFE is available to non-members by subscription - for more information, visit the ChowLife website:
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Thanks Luanna:

Does the chow magazine just cover purebreds, or do they ever discuss chow mixes?
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Who was it that was asking about Chows and herding? If you follow Luana's link, there is an excellent article about Chows and herding!

MoJazz was the top Chow at Eukanuba last year. He was rated 2nd or third in the country. I like watching the shows, but They could make alot of money if the showed the breed competitions too- Something to watch late at night on animal planet...
luvmydogs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by luvmydogs »

My mom is going to mail me her copy of Dog Fancy as soon as she's finished with it. We have two Shih Tzus as well as having had Tara. In this issue it gives you a webpage to make your own cover of Dog Fancy and here's Tara's. Bless her soul, we miss her so much.

Denise
(missing my beloved Tara)
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

That is very, very cute Denise! :D

Wasn't Melanie's sweet Khana in Chow Life not too long ago?
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Very nice picture -- it had me fooled for a minute til I read your post.
courtsey of Sweetpea