General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Update on Mrs Tu -- your thoughts needed

Post by mrstu »

Hi everyone,

It has been a few days since I posted -- I have been so physically and emotionally exhausted -- we went to the oncologist today at Ohio State and at first, after talking to the oncologist, I was encouraged. The did a needle biopsy, chest x-ray and blood. They told me as long as there was no metastases, they would do some chemo or switch to steroids. Unfortunately, the biopsy came back a sarcoma and the chest x-ray showed significant metastases along with a mass in the abdomen. In a weeks'time, this thing has progressed unbelievably. The vet told me that she will (or should) succumb to this within a week or less. She told me to go home and figure out how to get the strength to do what needs done. They were very nice but I am devastated - I knew it was bad but thought we would have more time than a week. I really need all the support that I can get from all of you true Chow Chow lovers. Please think of my girl and pray that I get the strength to do the right thing. One thing to note is that she is on Rimadyl 100 mg along with 100 mg of tramadol x 3 per day and she is still sitting up panting and whining. She cannot get up the stairs from outside without my help anymore. I am cancelling my business trip next week to be with her as much as I can. Any thoughts on how to get my mind in the right place to do the right thing for my baby is appreciated.

Thanks for all being there and I look forward to your thoughts.
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Theo »

Oh Patti, I'm so sorry...I'm praying for you and Mrs. Tu.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry :(
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

If Mrs. Tu enjoys car rides, take her for a nice one to one of her favorite places. Use these days to remember alot of the fun times and places and food and if possible, indulge Mrs. Tu with them.

Take a snip of her fur and pack it for her scrapbook or baby book if you kept one. Take ALOT of photos of her and of her with you and of her with her favorite toy.

You have been given such a wonderful gift of Mrs. Tu, the one thing I would suggest is not allow yourself the pain of watching her pass in pain. Sometimes watching a loved pet cross over that way can haunt you and make the grieving process much more difficult.

However for now, just enjoy each breath she takes and these moments you have together.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

That's the trick, isn't it? There is no way to wrap your mind around this. You are in a kind of alternate reality now. There is nothing to say that can help you. I'm sorry the news was so bad, and sorry Mrs. Tu isn't more comfortable. If you haven't already done so, you might want to fashion a sling to aid her in moving around and using the potty. Everyone is praying for an easy as possible transition. I will light a candle for your dear as the sunsets this evening. Please, don't hessitate to come to us for support as you need it. We are here virtually 24/7.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I just went through exactly what you are facing now and there are no easy answers and the only consolation I can find is that my baby is not suffering. I couldn't bear for him to suffer so that is how I found the nerve to do what had to be done. I refused to be selfish and keep him here for me. I knew in advance that it was coming...that it was only a matter of time but that doesn't ease your pain. I prepared by taking pictures, getting his paw print, clipping some of his hair and when I have the strength I am going to make a memory shadow box with those items and his collar, etc. Bless your heart is all I can say. Just love her and do what is best for her. That is all you can do.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

I'm so sorry, Patti. Just be with her and cherish the moments together. She knows you love her. You'll be in our thoughts.

Leonora & mum
Juniper
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Juniper »

It aches my heart...there really is no consolation that I can give except the more time you spend with Mrs. Tu the more you will realize that the time has come to release her pain and suffering and guide her path to the rainbow bridge. It is time to return all the love you received from her in a very big way.

Let all your love open your heart to release her, just think of Mrs. Tu's quality of life presently.

Much strength and love are being sent your way from all of us.
Jennifer & Sheena
threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by threedogjeep »

Your story is so very emotional to me...somewhere you have struck a cord in my heart...and I remember my Rufus....and I love the photo advice. That is exactly what I did with Rufus when I found out he had inoperable cancer....photo's photo's photo's ... of us together...and I cherish them to this day. They hang in my bedroom because he so wanted to keep me safe!
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Jeff&Vicki
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jeff&Vicki »

Patti,
I am truly sorry that you have to go through this. One thing that helped me was the Pet Loss Website that I am posting a link to, it is known as the Rainbow Bridge. This is the original site, there are some others with the Rainbow Bridge name, but this is the one that helped me. Dealing with the Guilt & Grief and Pet Loss are the two that you must read now, it will help you come to terms with what you are going through.

Pet Loss Grief Support Website: http://www.petloss.com/

Direct links to areas of interest in the above website
Monday Candle Ceremony: http://www.petloss.com/ceremony.htm
Grief and Pet Loss: http://www.petloss.com/muns.htm
Dealing with the Guilt: http://www.petloss.com/dealing.htm
Biblical References to Animals and Heaven: http://www.petloss.com/scriptur.htm
Scripture and Animals: http://dogshavesouls.com/scripture.html
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." .... Will Rogers
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Patti, I am so sorry. Use the time you have now to enjoy eachother, do your favorite things together if she is able to. You have done almost everything you can do for her, now the last thing is to be with her in her final days and show her and let her show you how much you love eachother. When she passes it will be a time to grieve, now is the time to celebrate her life and your relationship with her.
When my cocker spaniel Otono died I was a mess for months, I had him cremated and have his remains at home in an urn along with his picture. I still talk with him and say good night. Remember she will never really be gone until she is no longer in your heart and memories
dogdad
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Patti,
Like Zhuyo's mom suggested, treat Mrs.Tu to all of her most favorite things and take pictures. I'm sorry we weren't able to know Mrs. Tu earlier but she sounds like a wonderful companion.
You will know when Mrs. Tu is ready...let her go gracefully.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Lise Carreno
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lise Carreno »

Oh, I am so sorry. I agree with all the others - spend time making beautiful memories.
Mia
BigTrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

I'm So Sorry

Post by BigTrucker »

I'm so sorry that this is happening. There is really nothing anybody can say that will make it easier. I think spending time and doing what several others have suggested is a good idea. The hard thing is to know that your best friend and companion is in pain. She is ready to cross over. Animals don't resist like humans do. It is so hard to let go. I dread that day (we all do). When I lost Minnie Me...it was sudden and unexpected. Her last breath was in my arms. She never told me that she was feeling bad. I new she was getting old but I didn't think 10 years was too old for a chow. It was hard. Build those last memories...if she is in pain...don't let her suffer. You'll know when you have to help her cross over. I'm so sorry. Please Take Care

John