Don't take the leash off

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Diego...
you are such a pretty boy. And I am oh so envious of your owner. :)
Nancy and Tai

willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Here it's illegal unless you are in a dog run or dog park or fenced yard to let a dog off leash.

Pekoe=TOO FUNNY, I can see Willow doing that too!

Sam-I think Nanuk is THE best! Sorry, I'm laughing!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

It sounds to me like all these Chows are trained to be off leash none of them run off, they all stay close and just watch to make sure your not close enough to attach the leash, to them its a game (You know where the Chow is competing with you for control that some believe they don't do) The leash is off, now lets see who's in control here. Pekoe sits in the front yard with out a leash she's never leashed around the house its just when we are out that I leash her. I notice from the pictures that most of the Chows running around not leashed live in rural area's alot of us live in major cities with heavy traffic and nuts doing 80 miles an hour down a residential street, I think that's why we are so worried about our Chows being leashed. There has been a few post over the years that a Chow walked out the front door to greet its owners and got hit by a car.

We have a leash law to, i think most big cities do.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two are total examples of #86 on the list of trainable dogs. I noted this in my first postings regarding Shiloh when we joked about calling her #86.
Shiloh was a special case (to us) so apart from the 1st obedience class I enrolled her in and ended up attendng the first two lessons going by myself since she refused by hiding out under the deck. She had/has issues so we never pursued classes. When we got Mr. N, we didn't think about doing the obedience class - although in his last vet experience, they suggested it.
California has the leash law - if they are off your property, they must be leashed. Not sure if that's still true for enclosed dog parks. We will never test the off leash with these two. I'm envious of those that have Chows that can be off leash but we'll never know that experience. I hope that those that can have their Chows off lease realize how lucky they are! 8)

Karen & #86 x 2
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Matthew,
I know you were not insinuating I was a failure - I am just so envious of you and Taz and there are others whose Chows can walk with a lead. I know that when Michael goes camping on the old Civil War Battlefields in Tennessee with his buddies, he takes Gwrol and Gwrol is off the lead and I just wish so much M & M could - gosh I just wish.
We tried and tried when they were young, with Milly before Mabel came to us at 6 months and since but never since they gave us a scare in the forest.
They were really naughty - they just ran, scrummaging about one, one way and one the other, getting nearer and nearer to the forest road where cars speed along. Deary me, it makes me wince as I type, thinking about it.
I think you are so lucky - obviously you did this from the very beginning but we tried too. :D Just enjoy!
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
simbasmom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simbasmom »

I don't think that I will try letting Coco off the leash, I live on the corner of 2 very busy streets and would be terrified of something happening to him. So far he is afraid of the cars and the road, which is a good thing but it only takes once for something bad to happen.

His leash is about 20 feel long retractible kind and we let him wonder as he likes on our walks and our backyard is about 1/2 acre so he has lots of room to run.

Besides he is so cute and cuddly I am afraid that someone would see him and walk off with my sweet little baby.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I have just been taking another look at the pictures of Matthew's Chows and Diego and I must say again, I am so envious.

Not unhappy envious just envious.

I think back to our Danes when we could take them anywhere off the lead - they were so noble and good mannered and intelligent. Then I think of these baggages I have living with me. I adore them and they are so noble and ill-mannered and live life exactly as they wish! :roll:

I would not really have them any other than they way they are except - I wish they could walk free with us but that is a pipe-dream Fred can smoke away in his pipe! :)

So Matthew, I am feeling a failure in loving my girls - except of course that we have not managed to train them in this one thing. In everything else, they are gorgeous and a wonderful example of beautiful chow chow behaviour. In town etc. I am so proud of them! :D

But, golly me, I do wish.............................................
Brisco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brisco »

Judy, Milly and Mabel
I'm glad that you are not insulted, that is not at all what I intended or would ever do, or if I did there would be no question about it anyway, LOL.
As I said, I am lucky, not only that my dogs don't run off but also that Perth, which is a city of 1.5 million people still has no leash law in parks or public places as long as your dog is considered "under your control". We also have 4 different "Dog beaches" which are about a mile long and are great for socializing and cooling off on our hot summer days. When my two are on the leash they are the extending 18' type and I don't know how I ever managed in the past without them???
I was really just trying to point out that there are some Chows can be off there leash and that I think if people have the chance to, that they should try to allow there dogs off lead and not just assume that you can't do that with a Chow.
No matter where you go, there you are.
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

We live in a farming community. Even though we live on the very edge of town our street is traveled by city workers, not to mention the dog catcher travels our small street 3 times a day because we live close to the dog pound, we also live very close to a busy street which farmers travel this road with semis and other big trucks. Gracie worries me most because of her getting spooked of these large trucks.

The time she slipped out of her collar and walked home was due to a large loud truck which scared her. We have no sidewalks in the area we live. I would worry about her becoming spooked during a walk. Or like she did to me once as we was crossing the street coming home from the field after a off leash training (this field is acrossed the street from us), it was windy and a leaf went blowing down the middle of the road....yes, she thought she needed to chase it! Then onto our road turns a car. So here comes a car while Gracie is chasing a leaf down the middle of the road, heading for the busy street next to us. Honestly, I dont think its so much I dont trust her but more I dont trust me to be able to gain total control if she decided to wander off. I think its great that people are able to walk their dogs off leash. I wish I could let mine.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Matthew - there is absolutely no problem and you have no idea how Fred and I enjoyed your pictures - also the ones of Diego - lucky you and lucky Taz. :) I am still envious but there is a world of difference between envy and jealousy! :)
And Sweatpea, I think you have probably hit the nail right on the head - I understand your situation fully and I agree, I think it may be that we do not trust us to be able to deal with the situation with M & M.
When they gave us a fright in the forest those years ago, they really scared us - they were so naughty and determined to do their own thing. One went one way and one went the other and the forest road was getting nearer with tradffic speeding along it - they would not have stood a chance! Little jiggers! :evil: They are very determined Chow girls! The thing is, possibly when we were younger, we might have had a better crack at it but now we could not chase them at any speed if we needed to.
Anyway, we just accept quite happily how it is but it is lovely to see pictures like Matthew's and Taz's!
So you keep Miss Gracie on her lead safe as we will M & M!Matthew, please don't worry just enjoy your two beautifuls!